Ruth Dudley Edwards

They’re virtually all shit. It’s a seedy career choice.

You obviously read shit and watch shit journalism, like a lot of people here

Watch Channel 4 News

It’s excellent

Even if you just did that you’d increase your knowledge of the world a lot

I’m not saying he’s not a cunt but I’ve enjoyed a few Brendan O’Connor pieces

Some of his pieces about being a carer have been very good

But he’s not so good about predicting property prices or on how high property prices affect ordinary people

No journalist for a MSM newspaper has any choice in what they right. It’s not that they’re bad people, they just don’t want to be sacked. The MSM will never allow another Fintan O’Toole in this country, enjoy him while he lasts.

Who was the fat black-haired chick who wrote for the Irish Times a few years back about the victims of church abuse and also some general “social democrat” type causes. She was one of the best journalists of her generation. The Irish Times didn’t give a fuck and sacked her for being slightly leftie. Then she died of cancer and the IT cried their eyes out and and talked about how great she was.

The naievity you’re showing here is shocking.

1 Like

The fact that you’re using the term “MSM” is a dead giveaway about how right wing propaganda has infected your brain

Journalism, proper journalism that presents facts and informs people about events and occurances is hugely important. Opinion pieces are not. A lot of the heads being mentioned here are opinion writers.

John Waters?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Spend a few weeks reading your Chomsky and come back to me about what the real purpose of the newspapers is.

The only single reason the papers hate Trump is because he might impose trade tariffs. Obviously I hate him for about lot more than that.

I read the Manufacture of Consent when I was 16 and unlike most lefties I’m not so reactionary that I would just immediately flip my opinion just to spite Trump.

You still sound like you’re about 16

The concept of journalism as in reporting the news and offering an unbiased opinion on it is pretty much dead in the US, I would imagine Ireland isn’t far behind. It’s fascinating how the media have sold their souls for ratings, and how gullible anti-intellectuals lap up their horseshit and repeat it as fact. The reality of course is that statistically very few normal people watch Fox, MSNBC or CNN but listening to them and their lemming followers you would think they were so influential.

This is an excellent article by a liberal Democrat like myself on the subject. A liberal agreeing with Sean Hannity, now there’s something.

The example given of Rachel Maddow is most interesting. She is an outstandingly qualified journalist and obviously highly intelligent. So much so she can pull off her outrageously biased opinion journalism and convince the gullible that she is being honest. Raking in $7 million a year for telling people what they want to hear and are too dumb to challenge it’s truthfulness.

@Sidney is the poster child for her gullible audience.

You sound like you’re just repeating shit off twitter.

Like how are the unpaid contributors to the Huffington Post journalists but not a cunt like Paul Williams? I’m friends with some Huffington Post contributors, a cool bunch, but how could you consider them journalists?

1 Like

Joe Rogan must have got to him.

1 Like

US journalism is far from dead

It’s likely to end up forcing impeachment proceedings against a massively corrupt president

A lot of people on this thread who like to think of themselves as “intellectuals” are proving themselves to be anything but and proving themselves to have the intellect and maturity of 16 year olds by reaching for grand narratives which they know will appeal to miserable curmudgeons when the truth is far more nuanced

Fishing for likes I believe it’s called

It’s what 16 year olds do

Fox News is MSM, highest ratings of all the US “news” networks.

Journalism is the uncovering of something true that somebody powerful doesn’t want other people to know

You seem to have a hard time getting your head around that and instead you’ve decided to try and reinvent yourself as a supermarket value Breitbart commenter

It’s weird

Fox News is so called “infotainment” and propaganda - it doesn’t even class itself as journalism

That you do and that you’ve a proven record of parroting conspiracy theories from it here is telling

That just doesn’t happen ever. 20,000 kids raped and the press say nothing? Is Julian Assange a great journalist? Timed his releases to try and get Trump elected?

Fucking wake up you fool. I disagree with Sidney so I must be 16.

1 Like

It is most certainly dead at Fox, MSNBC and CNN at least during prime time. The fact you find Rachel Maddow honest and unbiased exposes your confirmation bias as so extreme you can’t even recognize it as confirmation bias. The entirety of your opinion comes from radical nutcases on Twitter who actually believe their opinion is important, even though 90+% of the population (and 100% of normal people) couldn’t gives a rats ass about their opinion.

Trump may well be impeached but he won’t be convicted by the Senate, handing him another victory for 2020. Clinton was impeached and left office with the highest approval ratings of any president in history. The media have completely overplayed their hand on the Russia probe, and it’s about to come back and bite them in the ass with lower and lower ratings as only the truly delusional pay any attention to them.

I wouldn’t really class Julian Assange as a journalist, certainly not for numerous years at least

Some things he’s been involved in leaking in the past have undoubtedly been in the public interest such as the leaking of the Iraq tape but he has been a highly partisan and malign actor for numerous years now and has sat on information to influence politics in favour of authoritarians