Significant people's (not celebrities) deaths

Tam Dayell.

Very sad to hear this, one of the best politicians of his era.

3 Likes

Frank Pellegrino, aka Frank Cubitoso from The Sopranos, has passed away.

Masaya Nakamura, the founder of Bandai Namco, passed away last week
http://i3.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article9720445.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/Video-Game-Designer-Masaya-Nakamura-Posing-with-His-Creations.jpg

Joost Van der westheuizin died at 45
thatā€™s quite sad actually,

5 Likes

ah jesus
Noelle Feeney just died also
RIP

one of the most decent people involved in football

1 Like

Great player , RIP

David Axelrod. One of the great jazz composers.

One of the greats. He toughed it out a long time.

did england tour SA sometime in the eearly 90s dan - pre 95 WC?
i remember HTV showing them play against ferocious racists like Orange Free State and the Transvaal on wednesday afternoons back when touring sides played these midweek tour games
Id imagine Eugene Terre Blance was probably in attendance at a few of these matches but i remember it was the first time i saw the lies of VDW and joel stransky playing,
youā€™d wonder how the IRB put a WC in SA at all in 95, i suppose it was after the ANC win in the 94 elections
you had this famous moment only a few years previous where they oberved a minutes silence by singing Die Stem thru it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2rtZg7wAk

England toured South Africa in 1994. They lost nearly every provincial match on that tour but won the first test at Loftus Versfeld.

Thatā€™s Hugh Bladen on commentary on the clip you posted up. He was Naas Bothaā€™s understudy at out half in the early 1980ā€™s prior to isolation. South Africa had a very high turnover of players after re-admission. James Small was the only player who played in that first match back in 1992 against New Zealand to play in the World Cup Final less than 3 years later against New Zealand.

Thatā€™s two of their starting 15 from 1995 dead - Joost Van der Westhuizen and Ruben Kruger. Andre Venter another compatriot from that era is quite sick as well.

Is there a link do you think? Were they all on angel dust?

I have heard comments to that effect. I havenā€™t really read up on it though so not in a position to comment. @gilgamboa probably better informed on it.

And his influence on hip hop
Was huge

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mZVArqrmaV8

2 Likes

I will be putting Seriously Deep on the turntable tonight.

1 Like

Peter Hendriks who played in the first game back in 1992 probably would have started the final if he hadnā€™t got himself sent off in the group game against Canada, along with hooker James Dalton, and banned from the rest of the tournament. He scored a try in the opening win over Australia, which, coincidentally, was the day of the final edition of the Evening Press - a preview of that South Africa-Australia game and the tournament by Karl Johnston was the final article I ever read in the paper.

Kitch Christie who coached the 1995 South Africa team also died of cancer in 1998, I think,

I had the pleasure of seeing van der Westhuizen in action for the princely sum of Ā£3 when South Africa took on Barbarian F.C. at Lansdowne Road in December 1994.

Barbarian F.C. had a fine 23-15 win, with Phillipe Saint-Andreā€™s charge down for a first half try and Craig Chalmersā€™ late drop goal with the help of the crossbar particular memories of the day. This is still the only time Iā€™ve seen the home team win a test match at Lansdowne Road - Ireland have a 100% losing record in matches Iā€™ve attended.

This was the final big December test match of the amateur era and one of the very few times Barbarian F.C. played a home game in Dublin, certainly one of the showpiece winter tests.

The advent of professionalism sadly saw the continual downgrading of one of the traditional pillars of the amateur era.

We werenā€™t to know it at the time but that game was to become a little piece of rugby history in terms of its significance.

3 Likes

Noelle was a real legend in Cork football, I remember calling to her house a couple of times, I canā€™t recall what for, maybe Bayern Munich tickets (took a half day from school) or a popular pre season match. She was a real figurehead for the club, I assume the Echo has gone to town on this, didnā€™t she write a column for them?

2 Likes

Sorry for your loss Cork lads. While weā€™re on the (distantly related) subject, @mickee321 or @backinatracksuit or any of the Cork lads, did you ever come across Roy Oā€™Donovan? Heā€™s playing for our beloved Mariners and I like the cut of his jib

Is that a rhetorical question? Roy is a local legend

2 Likes

Am I right in saying @mickee321 @backinatracksuit that the other Roy bought him to Sundrrland for a massively inflated fee which was more or less just a bail out for city at the time?