Significant people's (not celebrities) deaths

Roy was one of the best players ever to play for City, only for Davie Barry and Patsy Freyne he could be best of all, :pensive: I thought heā€™d have had a long career in England, Enjoy.

1 Like

Itā€™s not a rhetorical question, I just dont know much about him aside form the last season and a half at the Mariners and was hoping for some background, thank you.

1 Like

Heā€™s still young enough Iā€™d say is he. Its a long time since he is gone from city

I donā€™t recall that rumour but it was an enormous fee for a league of Ireland player at the time, add ons could have pushed it over a million.
He played great football in his later city days but I had moved to Limerick by then so didnā€™t see him that often.

yeah city had a grand team in the early mid 00ā€™s
Georgie, Kevin Doyle, JOF, Gamble Danny Murphy, Bennet,
Roy OD came slightly after them and really came to prominence in 2006/2007
Keane did sign him for Sundireland as they were known at the time along with the likes ofTony Stokes and Hourihane
i havent heard the bit about the fee been inflated but it wouldnt suprise me because at this time Cork City was on their last legs before the high court winding up order, at the time their best players were going accross to reading, hartlepool and ipswich for nothing and it wouldnt suprise me if RK tried to do them a favor
w.r.t. his playing abilities, he was an excellent player in the LOI, after Sunderland he lost his way a bit but has clearly found his feet in Australia, didnt he score goal of the season maybe last year?

1 Like

i think she did
id say Noel Spillane will go to town on it allright but so what, other tabloids are glorifying Daniel Kinahinā€™s exploits, she was just a decent woman

2 Likes

Donā€™t think @backinatracksuit was saying it was a bad thing!!!

1 Like

i know, didnt mean to come accross that way

:fearful:

Roger Walkowiak, winner of the 1956 Tour de France has passed away.

Considered by many to be the worst or luckiest winner of the great race. Walkowiak was a last minute replacement for a regional team but joined an escape on the 7th stage and gained an 18 minute advantage and the yellow jersey. He lost the yellow jersey on the 10th stage but managed to keep himself well positioned as he was completely dismissed by the main protagonists. The 18th stage was the last of the mountain stages and the great Charly Gaul attacked and shattered the field. Walkowiak managed to trail in 8 minutes behind and it was enough to put him back in the yellow jersey which he held onto for the last 4 days to Paris.

He didnā€™t do much else in his career and retired in anonymity a couple of years later.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C4Dr8cNWEAAGvsp.jpg

10 Likes

Iā€™ve given that a like. Iā€™d give it an informative rating, if I could.

RIP Peter.

This is a lovely song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YPXPDDk7TI

1 Like

Shocked to hear that Paul McCarthy has died, R.I.P.

Terrible news. He used to say live and let live. Hope he gets his wings

You know he didnā€™t, you know he didnā€™t, you know he didnā€™t

1 Like

Fucksakeā€¦

Gobshite

The best player on one of the best schoolboy teams I ever saw, thatā€™s awful news, RIP.

You nearly need a thread of your own to log footballers/ referees youā€™ve seen/known.

3 Likes

You set it up mate, Iā€™ll tell you about the time I made a langer out of Willie Boland.

2 Likes