Six Nations 2019

I was there in 2005 they won their first GS since 1978 . We could stop them this time .

1 Like

Joe Molloy has the stoned posh boy look down to a t

The Arms Park is the best away day alright.

1 Like

Not posh.

Bogger who lived in digs in Sandymount too long.

Belter of a game.

Cheers. Id appreciate them.

Gatty does it again. What a man

1 Like

In fairness, id say it doesnt take much to baffle Alan Quinlan.

1 Like

Wales v England is the spikiest fixture in the Championship. The real rugby heartlands in England in the West Country, right up against the Welsh border. I was at a few England v Wales matches in Twickenham over the years and at the 1989 renewal in the old Arms Park.

2 Likes

Wales maintain their 100% record of beating England in home fixtures in years ending in 9.

Warren Gatland is the finest rugby coach in the world.

1 Like

A shoo in surely again for the biggest gig in coaching. Leading the British Lions to South Africa in 2021.

The ultimate challenge.

The WRU have been very responsible in allowing Gatty to take two season-long sabbaticals to coach the British Loins and they continue to reap the rewards.

Not only does it give appropriate respect and recognition to the Loins as the pinnacle of the game, they’ve also realised how the experience Gatty has gained on Loins tours can benefit Wales, as well as keeping the set up fresh and honing the coaching skills of the backroom staff who step in while Gatty is away.

Now Wales stand on the cusp of a third Grand Slam during his tenure.

It’s win-win for everybody involved.

I was at the 1989 match in Cardiff. Last match of the season. England were red hot favourites to break their 26 year duck in Cardiff and wrap up the Championship. Wales were trying to avoid a first ever whitewash, a feat they managed to delay for 12 months with a 12-9 win in a match played in a monsoon.

I vaguely remember it although I don’t think the match was carried live on Irish television as Ireland were “idle” that weekend and they showed Scotland v France instead - for some reason RTE would always show Scotland v France in preference to Wales v England, though they always had full deferred coverage afterwards. Was there some catastrophic mistake by an England player that handed Wales victory?

Scrum half Richard Hill perhaps?

Wales’s Triple Crown winning team of 1988 had been decimated by players leaving for Rugby League and they would continue to be until Rugby Union went professional in 1995.

Rory Underwood dropped a skyscraper of a garryowen in the England 22, got steamrolled by the Welsh pack to allow Mike Hall score the only try of the game, albeit there was a question mark over the grounding. Not the last time Rory Underwood had a match defining howler in a shock Welsh win over England in Cardiff.

Wales were superb in 1988 but had lost about 5 of that starting team to rugby league by the time 1989 rolled around. Strong Irish immigrant Roman Catholic influence on that 1988 Welsh team.

Christ above.

'93 I presume you’re thinking of? When Ieuan Evans kicked ahead from deep and got the touchdown. I had forgotten that it was Underwood he beat to it. Underwood was very lax in getting back wasnt he?

The Moriartys?
Mark Ring?
Devereux?

Yes along with Adrian Hadley and Richie Collins.

South Wales police nearly always had a international in those days .

Young moriarty playing yesterday is a son of Paul who “ went north” after the 1988 triple crown win .

Ireland leading 7-0 after 15 minutes courtesy of a converted Quinn Roux try.