Six Nations Rugby 2018

Itā€™s not much of an option to attend St. Munchinā€™s or indeed any other non-fee paying rugby school in Limerick if you donā€™t come from Limerick or somewhere which is a commutable distance to Limerick.

Any chance you could break down that list of 100 players by school and count how many went to fee paying schools and how many didnā€™t?

Perhaps you could also tell me how many of those 100 played their rugby primarily in the club system between the ages of 12 and 18 as opposed to the schools system?

Thereā€™s rugby players from non-fee paying schools the length and breath of the island thriving. In the pinnacle of rugby union last summer - a British Lions test series in New Zealand, there were only three Irish players who started all three tests. The common denominator? All three were products of non-fee paying schools. Conor Murray, St Munchinā€™s, Limerick. Sean Oā€™Brien, Tullow Community School, Co. Carlow. Tadhg Furlong, Good Counsel College, New Ross, Co. Wexford.

We know about the exceptions like Oā€™Brien and Furlong. John Hayes was another one. Moss Keane was an exception back in the day. Trevor Brennan was an exception and was treated as one, so much so that he was lost to Irish rugby and went to France where they appreciated him. There will always be the odd exception.

We know that Limerick is an exception to the rest of Ireland in that it has a few non-fee paying rugby schools - that has already been specifically stated.

What Iā€™m asking is, of those 100, how many went to non-fee paying schools and how many played their rugby primarily in the club system between the ages of 12 and 18 as opposed to the schools system?

Thereā€™s an awful lot of back tracking, blustering, exceptions (many) to general rules and moving of goalposts going on in that post. Sure sign youā€™re losing an argument when youā€™re asking your opposite to go off and do your own research.

1 Like

You were the one who referenced the statistic, pal - you should be able to back it up. Clearly you arenā€™t.

I can give you an answer of sorts though - in the 2018 Six Nations, just two Ireland players, Robert Henshaw and Timothy Furlong, went to a non-fee paying/academically selective rugby playing school outside of Limerick.

Keith Earls doesnt get near Munchins without playing rugby or being regarded as a good rubby prospect.

1 Like

Unless heā€™s robbing copper wiring as a young lad?

Oh my. Itā€™s an academically selective school?

Again, you are just regurgitating my post.

Where did I say the average wasnā€™t higher?

Read what I actually posted.

Two of the chaps typing away there now.

So much of their lives on rugby football.

Great to see.

This is what you said.

What Iā€™ve written here are the facts, with verifiable links. Facts by definition are true.

The France-Eire Euro 2016 attracted a higher viewership than the England-Ireland 2018 rugby match on every measurable criteria.

Now, do you want to finally demonstrate that you have some tenuous comprehension of reality, or do you want to keep humiliating yourself?

Itā€™s your choice.

They take in a mix alright to tick boxes ā€” but most of the lads from certain neighbourhoods are only there because of their rubby exploitsā€¦ I know others from Moyross, Weston, St Maryā€™s Park who only got in the door because of rubbyā€¦ making a mock of these so called entrance exams. Munchins also take in their fair share of boggers also tbfā€¦ but the docker and bin manā€™s son rarely get in without having to break their young bodies on the rubby pitch.

I was talking about St. Munchins college, mate ā€¦ I grew up 5 minutes from its front gates.

That post is absolutely hilarious given how many long winded, pointless posts youā€™ve wasted your time typing out.

The difference between me and you is that I post things worth typing. You donā€™t.

Another irony is that I have a far more rounded knowledge of rugby union football and its sociological and playing history in this country than almost anybody else here.

So middle class kids are at a disadvantage when it comes to rugby in Limerick. Why is there no outrage about this in the media? Over to you Ewan McKenna.

Faced with the appalling vista that a non-fee paying school, St Munchinā€™s College has actually been the biggest contributor of capped players to the Ireland rugby team in modern times, the rugby haters are now making unsubstantiated allegations about St Munchinā€™s admission policy.

1 Like

You canā€™t read then.

What gets a ā€œhigher audienceā€ for the ratings i ultimately comes down to a blend of the average, peak ect.

It is my contention that due the parades that the rugby average would have been seriously impacted on. You have a different view, fine.

What is indisputable is that you continue to ignore the 6 counties. As pointed out to you, itā€™s very odd that a 32 County Republic/NI football supporter would decide that they arenā€™t worthy of being talked about. Very very odd.

I could name plenty of names of guys/families that got in there that would do well to get into the less reputable schools in Limerick ā€” the only common denominator - rubby.

However, Limerickā€™s very own Dodge also attended Munchins as do/did a number of other rural types.

I donā€™t deal in hearsay.

1 Like

Rugby lads seething cos theyā€™re not getting the recognition they deserve. Media trying to big it up but outside of D4 and pockets of Limerick no one gives a fuck. Thereā€™s an awful need in them.

3 Likes