Football Trivia

Frank Gray was left back for Leeds United in the 1975 European Cup final and for Nottingham Forest in the 1980 European Cup final.

1 Like

Very good. I should have known that as my father attended the 1975 European Cup final between Bayern Munich and Leeds United.

2 Likes

that’s an outstanding post

the scenes, perfect FA cup weather
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMXNNeY81ds

1 Like

The new Wembley lacks something .

1 Like

The twin towers

1 Like

the energy sapping turf

1 Like

The Duke of Kent presenting the cup.

@Sidney
what are your thoughts/recollections of signing Abide with me at 2-52 PM on the afternoon of a cup final?

And while you’re at it @Sidney can you let us know what you signed it on.

Did you have a special Cup final scrap book ?

The dog track.

The players waving to family members in the crowd that they cannot see.

The Duchess of Kent is by a considerable distance my favourite member of the Royal Family.

Strongly rumoured to be a Liverpool supporter. She looked delighted when she handed the FA Cup to Ronnie Whelan in 1989.

I have conflicting feelings about Abide With Me. Yes, it’s a great Cup Final tradition, but one always felt that it was very patrician, that one was being forced to take part in a ritual more designed to placate a class that was not necessarily reflective of the people and communities making up the vast majority of the crowd. It felt separate, it felt other. But, I guess that was part of the build up and pomp and ceremony. It was designed to be formal, to make one feel nervous and intimidated. And overcoming that intimidation was what Cup Final day was ultimately about. It was English football’s version of first holy communion (or whatever the Church of England equivalent is), the Leaving Certificate and a job interview rolled into one.

Gerry Marsden broke through that stuffy formality with his rendition of it in 1989. For the first and only time, it felt like Abide With Me resonated and felt inclusive, that it was of the people and speaking to the people. Nobody else has managed it since.

It lacks sunlight. I think @mickee321 will agree with me on this. The ability of sunlight to bathe the whole pitch was an integral part of the old Wembley and of Cup Final day. Giant shadows take away from the occasion in a significant way.

This applies to the World Cup too. The great, memorable World Cup matches were mostly played in stadiums which allowed the sunlight to flood the pitch and sap the legs of the players. All the great matches of the 1970 and 1986 tournaments. Italy-Brazil 1982. Romania-Argentina 1994. Holland-Argentina 1998. I hate stadium roofs which create shadows.

Abide With Me
Signed: @Sidney

5 Likes

Unreal post.

imagehttps://i2-prod.coventrytelegraph.net/incoming/article9265136.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/WA6151648.jpg

Never knew Will Carling played for Spurs .

Steve Hodge. Played for Forest in '91 when they lost to Tottenham.

1 Like

The man who has a famous blue jersey with no 10 on the back from 1986 of course

1 Like

That was such a disappointing day. Only one of our 9 finals that we’ve lost. Looked good when Clive Allen scored in the first few minutes. Chas & Dave wrote Hot Shot Tottenham for that one.

:clap:

Mexico 86 with overhead cameras casting a shadow on the pitch was a classic of the type.
Maradona v England

1 Like

Five players with European Cup and UEFA Cup winners medals, medals won with two different English clubs.

Ray Clemence definitely, though he didn’t play in the 84 final
Ray Kennedy??

Clemence and Ray Kennedy are two.

John Wark ??