Social media monitor re Ireland’s Call

The song or the reason for the song?

The same fellas wbo hate it the most would be the same lads you’d see with the Eire 32 Celtic jerseys looking for a united Ireland but unwilling to make even the smallest sacrifice to get it

2 Likes

There’s the lads who hate that stuff but just love AnF too.

Bizarre given what a shit anthem it is in itself.

I intensely dislike the song but there is no excuse for not engaging with the reasons for its existence.

1 Like

They’re songs lads. Dancing and singing should be removed from pre match rituals. Its antiquated shit

5 Likes

Who doesnt love a dance off?

If they don’t want to stand for our national anthem they shouldn’t be playing in my opinion. Actually none of them are playing.

Both.

“Our”

If I was picked for my country nothing would make me prouder than to stand for my anthem, I love the anthems at sporting events

Tis a shite song but a lot of songs are shite as are a lot of anthems.

“Let em all go to hell, except for Cave 76”

1 Like

Ah it’s not a shit anthem at all. Sang in our native language and makes the hairs stand up on the back of your neck when sung properly at a big GAA match. It was absolutely iconic before the World Cup play-off against Denmark in 2017. Very memorable rendition before the rugby game against England in 2007 too.

1 Like

It’s brutal.

It’s down there with Advance Australia Fair and GSTK.

1 Like

In all my years going to GAA matches I can never once recall a stirring version of the anthem, I also find it annoying that the last line isn’t sung

1 Like

Half the Irish fellas can only whisper it. It’s dreadful at GAA matches unless there’s a nordie side there

God Defend New Zealand, the Welsh national anthem and Sweet Flower of Scotland would probably be my top tier at this tournament.

Usually good when it’s played on the bagpipes at a Munster hurling championship game. Not as enjoyable in Croke Park. It is more poignant before an international game though.

1 Like

The anthem has always sounded the sweetest when one of our own stands atop a podium on the international stage.

This was the greatest Irish anthem ever.

1 Like

The opening of Amhrán na bhFiann at a Munster Championship game as ten bagpipes struggle to settle on the same note is absolutely iconic.

16 Likes