Sport Books

Two books I read over the last month that I would recommend are
“Bad Blood” by Jeremy Whittle - details most of the drugs scandals in cycling over the course of this decade
and
“Hurling - the Revolution Years” by Denis Walsh.

Just started “Friday Night Lights” by HG Bissinger - about a Texas high schoool football team. Anyone read this one?

1 Like

[quote=“sid waddell”]
Just started “Friday Night Lights” by HG Bissinger - about a Texas high schoool football team. Anyone read this one?[/quote]

I’ve heard good things about this from Souldressing. What dya reckon so far?

Hurling-the revolutionary years is a decent enough read…Fists of Stone, the life and legend of Roberto Duran, is the best sports book i have read in some time…

I am about to start reading Mick Fitzgeralds book, anyone know if it worth the effort

Bret Harts book is a good read.

A fine read with some good yarns

[quote=“sid waddell”]
Just started “Friday Night Lights” by HG Bissinger - about a Texas high schoool football team. Anyone read this one?[/quote]

Its a good read, and definitely made me interested to see the film again which I cant remember for the life of me. A sad cautionary tale and just one of those books that come about from the journo being in the right place at the right time. Lot of chaff in it, but its definitely worth the read.

aye read FNL myself. a bit more down to earth than the fairytale type image that the film gives. sad about yer man boobie miles, all the talent but not the right attitude. the people there didnt take too kindly to the book.

Gary Gaines has been re-appointed as Permian coach for this forthcoming season, 21 years later.

Go MoJo :smiley:

Is ‘Dazed and Confused’ set in Odessa?

[quote=“SoulDressing”]Gary Gaines has been re-appointed as Permian coach for this forthcoming season, 21 years later.

Go MoJo :smiley:

Is ‘Dazed and Confused’ set in Odessa?[/quote]

Just did a bit of googling there and I found a bit of info.

Robert E. Lee High School is actually Bedichek Middle School, 6800 Bill Hughes Rd. Austin, TX 78745

just got inventing the pyramid - had a quick flick through it & id say ill enjoy the modern tactics sections but may not enjoy the chapters dealing with older tactics - will beat myself off silly reading about cattenaccio- i have the fear the book may be a bit anglo centric

id say sports geeks rocko & bandage would lap this book up

Inverting the Pyramid: A History of Football Tactics: Amazon.co.uk: Jonathan Wilson: Books

1 Like

Bought Veitchs book a couple of weeks ago. Looking forward to it. Reading one on Kevin Weeks now who was Whitey Bulgers right hand man for years. Not sport but a good read all the same.

dunph- any chance of a frown smiley to deal with posts like this?

[quote=“north county corncrake”] i have the fear the book may be a bit anglo centric
[/quote]

nothing new there for you…oh lord of Malahideshire…

are you jealous of my fathers wealth peasant boy?

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-finger005.gif

no…having you as a son definitely isn’t worth any amount of planters’ wealth passed down to him …even including the grounds of the Estate and the pond…

unfortunately if things dont change for you on the lady front you wont be having a family

on the calcio front … a season with verona is worth a read. But then i guess many of you have already read it.

changes on a regular basis, lad…variety is the spice of life…they are all split with the one axe you know? nothing to be afraid of…you shouldn’t have felt the need to trap the first one that ever looked back at you…you really missed out…:rolleyes:

Racing Post football expert Kevin Pullein has a new book out. ‘The Definitive Guide to Betting on Football’’ will no doubt have the likes of Sledgehammer queeing up like little girls when the man himself arrives for a signing.

[quote=“sid waddell”]
“Hurling - the Revolution Years” by Denis Walsh.

QUOTE]

Whats this book about? The 90’s?