Sport Books

Liam Dunne living over a pub drinking 4 cans of Heineken every night thinking he’s an alcoholic and writing a book about it. The cunt wouldn’t drink Spanish pissswater

6 Likes

The Val Dorgan book on Ring is good but the more recent one from Tim Horgan is a lot better.

Brain Corcoran must be the second most boring bastard in sport after Sir Tony McCoy

1 Like

Last Man Standing and The Revolution Years are probably the two best overall I’ve read alright. The Club is a bit overrated I think but still a decent read

1 Like

I loved Davy Fitzgeralds book.the bit where he used to get up at 5 in the morning to cycle down and puck the ball of a wall to psyche a lad out on his way to work. And then go back home to bed. Unreal

3 Likes

Mike Macs book was great too. The time they had a lock in down in Scariff. I think Kieran Fallon was in it too @mickee321

I enjoyed The Revolution Years, Kings of September by Michael Foley, Dublin Vs Kerry by Tom Humphries. Unlimited heartbreak was made good by the Tom Ryan rants. My favourite though is House of Pain by Keith Duggan. Surely time for an updated version.

There are some stories I’d love to see written about like the Offaly hurling team of the 90s or the Galway team of the 80s . Also a book about one of the real renegades with all the warts and all stories. Cha Fitz, Frank Murphy, Babs.

1 Like

I really enjoyed Paudis book. That auld yarn about falling asleep in the squad car in a field in Limerick after a feed of porter and getting caught because it was the same day the Pope was around unreal. He had great camaraderie with the cork boys too. When he daughter was getting born on Cork, didn’t Dinny Allen and the boys arrive into the western star and give him an awful doing. Some craic back in them days so it was @mickee321

Read Dorgan’s years ago, probably when it came out. Think it got reissued through the Indo a few years back.

Did you read it in a Rob Heffernen accent? Some craic if you did

1 Like

It helps :grin:

He’s a good man for the crack alright.

Dorgans book was published in 1980 and was indeed reissued as part of that Irish Independent great biographies series a few years back. The newer book by Horgan is a better and more comprehensive read though.

That’s a good selection of books there, Duggans book The Lifelong Season is a great book, I have a real soft spot for The Road To Croker by Eamonn Sweeney as well.

I have that one. Probably read the original from the library.

I have it on good authority from a respected source that he was a simpleton.

1 Like

Christy Ring wouldn’t have been the sharpest tool in the box

3 Likes

He was a good squash player.

Sicko