Sport Books

Opened this book at a random page in the book center.

1 Like

Terrible terrible woejous shite, by the end I was scanning pages to get to the end as it was so repetitive, a cunt of a man.
The very thing he despised Tipp for was the exact same thing he loved about being on that KK team, fucking eejit carrying a grudge from 20 years before he was born

2 Likes

Seems a very basic and simple class of person based on the excerpts I’ve read. And loads of nostalgic bullshit too.

1 Like

Promising start to this with a very interesting summary of the crazy politics of 20th century Irish cycling which included a republican cycling team joining the Munich 72 road race uninvited (they actually showed up a day early because they were unaware of the delay due to the Israeli situation) which ended up with two Irish cyclists boxing the heads off each other in the middle of the road. good material on young Kelly as well including his legendary climb of the gap of mamore in an impossible gear.
Are you familiar with the NRA and CRE situation @Fagan_ODowd or @balbec

4 Likes

Not an expert on it but knew there was a split. Nice cover.

It was insane, bombs planted to blow up roads that rival organisations races were due to take place on

what does it stay about Sean Kelly the hero of Oirish muldoons racing for Britian in apartheid South Africa?

Young man this country is sustained on grudges before most of us were born .

That was Pat McQuaid’s fault

He tricked him good & proper.

Jason Sherlock has a book out :grinning:

Sherlock could well have a decent story to tell, not the most ridiculous idea by any means

1 Like

He’s been working hard on it since he left the senior game. In other news, David Brady’s will be out any day now.

Heard interview with author on Second Captains, sounded really interesting.

What did you think of it?

Very good, comprehensive history of the era in Irish cycling, a must read for fans, doesn’t skirt the issues and had access to all the players,

1 Like

Read an extract yesterday.

For a guy not good enough for the LOI i found it odd he spoke about making it as a footballer

3 Likes

Has anyone read “The Art of Hurling” yet?

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=277309

Top scorer for Shamrock Rovers in 1998-99.

Is there a bigger club to play for in Ireland?