Sport Books

90% of sports biographies are the very same.

I’ve read a few of the stories in this (one about Patsy fuckin Freyne) and it seems decent

:smiley:

1 Like

Philly can do no wrong. The book has turned Kimmage and the Sindo sports dept into a lover of the Dubs again.

Is the book any good, is it worth the money?

Thats two very different questions mate.

Answer the latter so if you can

No

Give us a bullet point summary please.

I’ll post up a link to his many many many LLS appearances in due course. It’ll save the boys a few bob.

Honestly though, I’ve not read it, nor will I.

Kimmage was raving about it on Matt Cooper last night, said he put down Shefflin’s after ten pages but McMahon’s was “raw and in his own voice.”

There has hardly been a decent GAA autobiography - tempted to pick up McMahon’s.

Also tempted to get Tyrell’s despite the shit title.

Has there ever been a good one?
I can’t think of one really.
Donal ogs was the most readable.
Cody was the worst, but fairly typical of most of the dross.

Tyrells is absolute dogshit, I can’t believe the positive reviews, I bought Phillys but never yet got around to it.
I’ve read a few good GAA biographies but a lot of shit ones.
The Ascent is a very good Irish sports book from this year

I liked Oisin McConville’s.

Big Dan Shanahan’s was ok but a bit meh.

Cody - meant to be diabolical.

Cusack - an unlikeable character so couldn’t warm to the book even if I read it in a couple of days.

Cooper - meant to be mediocre.

I can reveal Tony Dorans book is not a tell all expose / score settling offering.
Tony comes across as modest and decent as would be expected from the great man.

Nicky English with Beyond the Tunnel was a good read.

2 Likes

Bogball and shintyhurl books are for fucktards and lepers. Weird bastards.

1 Like

hard to disagree with that. I breezed through that Fergus’s autobiography last year out of curiosity more than anything else, but would be rare I’d read a GGA players life story. There is fuck all interesting about the cunts.

3 Likes

What’s wrong with you

2 Likes

You’ve a great way of breaking a subject down. Have you ever though about writing a book

1 Like