Spring of discontent

120,000 people o the street on saturday

cpsu going out on strike on thursday, pseu have just voted for strike action, other ballots from unite, impact and siptu to be collected

looks like some good times ahead ! how long before civil unrest (i.e after your average rovers game but on a massive scale) or the govt falls ?

[quote=“artfoley”]120,000 people o the street on saturday

cpsu going out on strike on thursday, pseu have just voted for strike action, other ballots from unite, impact and siptu to be collected

looks like some good times ahead ! how long before civil unrest (i.e after your average rovers game but on a massive scale) or the govt falls ?[/quote]

replacing ff with fg is like replacing tweedle dum with tweedle di

it’s still 100% less dum !

Here Art, do you not have a trip to France to be planning soon?!

not til may/june, and I have a good few quid in the CS credit union

All these public servants have to realise that the country is going down the pan. You can’t get blood from a stone. There’s no money in the locker to pay them. Some heads should roll over the HSE going a billion over budget aswell, ffs we don’t have that sort of money. This shit will have the IMF in on us if it’s not knocked on the head and we’ll end up like fcuking Argentina in an economic wilderness for 50 years.

IMF getting involved is the ultimate nightmare. I hope the civil servants (and everyone else for that matter) understand what that would mean.

SS,

The Country is gone down the pan. Full stop. As is the entire 1st world.

Something radical needs to be done…not just hitting public servants for a few quid. I don’t know what that something is but all those ppl with less money to spend will not help the situation.

[quote=“tipptops*”]SS,

Something radical needs to be done…not just hitting public servants for a few quid. I don’t know what that something is but all those ppl with less money to spend will not help the situation.[/quote]

If the country goes bust and the IMF steps in we are fucked. Forget political independence, forget self-determination. We would be the personal property of the international bankers and the country would be raped for all its worth. There is nothing too radical to avoid this scenario. It all depends of course on how real the risk actually is, because the threat alone is not sufficient to fuck over innocent people. We’re far from rock-bottom in this thing though, there ain’t no doubt about it.

[quote=“tipptops*”]SS,

Something radical needs to be done…not just hitting public servants for a few quid. I don’t know what that something is but all those ppl with less money to spend will not help the situation.[/quote]

raise taxes across the board- when we were doing well they were lowering taxes so they should do the opposite now

That equals less money to spend also.

Some Country needs to take the bull by the horns and really take a chance on something.

Personally I would start with the tax exiles. The likes of JP can pay full whack or stay the fuck out of the Country.

The Dole of 200 quid a week plus rent allowance in a lot of cases needs to be cut…

[quote=“tipptops*”]That equals less money to spend also.

Some Country needs to take the bull by the horns and really take a chance on something.

Personally I would start with the tax exiles. The likes of JP can pay full whack or stay the fuck out of the Country.

The Dole of 200 quid a week plus rent allowance in a lot of cases needs to be cut…[/quote]

yes, but if we take them back to what they were in 2001 years ago there was no problem with spending back then & the gov will have extra money - raising income tax is a no brainer especially as things are cheaper now so if you havent lost your job or taken a pay cut you are actually in a better position now than this time last year

[quote=“tipptops*”]That equals less money to spend also.

The Dole of 200 quid a week plus rent allowance in a lot of cases needs to be cut…[/quote]

Sure nobody has a fucking clue what to do. The reality is that international capitalism will never be the same again. If we don’t see a rise of the left now we will never see it.

Ya but if the private sector was hit with a pay cut, as many are, and a tax raise then lads would probably be better off living on the Dole.

Lower the Dole…get lads off it…lets just say there are jobs going paying a monkey a week = 25 k a year. After tax and prsi you will get maybe 450. say 100 a week for rent. 350 left. Say 25 a week for travel to work. 325 left. Say Car Loan for 50 a week. 275 left.

Say you are on the Dole…Sell the Car, pay off the Loan…you get free rent and 200 into the paw.

See the problem?

[quote=“tipptops*”]Ya but if the private sector was hit with a pay cut, as many are, and a tax raise then lads would probably be better off living on the Dole.

Lower the Dole…get lads off it…lets just say there are jobs going paying a monkey a week = 25 k a year. After tax and prsi you will get maybe 450. say 100 a week for rent. 350 left. Say 25 a week for travel to work. 325 left.

Say you are on the Dole…you get free rent and 200 into the paw.

See the problem?[/quote]

if you are working 20 years- lose your job - isnt 200 the least you deserve based on what you paid over the years

we can only thread water & hope the US turns things around asap & when that happens things will change for the better for us

[quote=“tipptops*”]Ya but if the private sector was hit with a pay cut, as many are, and a tax raise then lads would probably be better off living on the Dole.

Lower the Dole…get lads off it…lets just say there are jobs going paying a monkey a week = 25 k a year. After tax and prsi you will get maybe 450. say 100 a week for rent. 350 left. Say 25 a week for travel to work. 325 left.

Say you are on the Dole…you get free rent and 200 into the paw.

See the problem?[/quote]

That’s a big ‘let’s just say’. There are plenty of wasters on the dole, but generally speaking boys who work want to work. Slashing the dole may well prove necessary, but until there’s no other option it’s kicking people when they’re down.

The system then should be based on what you have paid in than just a standard Dole for everyone.

If you offered lads 100 a week just to feed themselves they wouldn’t be long taking the shitty jobs that noses are turned up at now.

[quote=“tipptops*”]The system then should be based on what you have paid in than just a standard Dole for everyone.

If you offered lads 100 a week just to feed themselves they wouldn’t be long taking the shitty jobs that noses are turned up at now.[/quote]

Doing that has short term appeal, if you don’t mind forcing the already disadvantaged into relative poverty. Temporary measures prove to be sticky though, and on moral grounds there’s not a constituency outside south dublin that would ever stand for a measure like that.

I think the dole is too high myself, it’s three times the dole in the UK. It’s hard to live on but you are doing no work for it and if there’s going to be the doomsday 500k on it by the end of the year, that’s a ball park of 100 Million a week. We can’t afford that.

If you cut the dole you could then cut the minimum wage and make it cheaper to employ people. Would make the country more competitive.

I don’t think the public sector realise how banjaxed the country is. They are sharing a little bit of the pain, but who here working in the private sector hasn’t been laid off, taken a big pay cut, or been put on a four day week or know someone who has? It’s carnage out there and no amount of waving red flags and marching will change that.

McSharry took tough decision to balance the books back in the 80s. We have to do the same now, the public sector didn’t cause this mess, but the ordinary private sector worker didn’t either.

The traditional response of the Irish would be to up and go somewhere else in these situations but the 1st World is fucked as a whole at the moment so there is nowhere to go!..Canada seems to be the last refuge of the damned at the momemt.

The thing is that Ireland hasn’t even come close to hitting rock bottom yet but its coming…I know someone involved with the re-opening of the Castletroy Park Hotel in Limerick, for 120 jobs they received over 2,500 CV’s.