St Mirren v Celtic

These officials are inept.

We keep getting sucked under the ball in our box. Ledley standing off too much too.

We’ve been a good degree better since Stokes and Commons came on.

What a strike from Browny.

Broony, reminiscent of his strike at Ibrox last year. :clap:

A wonderful strike by our captain, reminiscent of his brilliant goal at Ibrox last season when he celebrated in Diouf’s face.

This will be a great win. It’s a game we could well have lost and I’ve been very impressed with St Mirren.

Rogne a mile onside there. :shakefist:

A poor performance, one we really didn’t deserve to win. Forster made a number of brilliant saves at crucial junctures. Brown, Forrest, Hooper and Forster played well for us with Stokes and Commons having positive contributions after being introduced.

A hard won 3pts against a decent outfit without playing well at all,big second half improvement which was much needed.

At times Neil Lennons tactics/team selections baffle me,they really do.

Cha will never be a footballer as long as I have a hole in my arse.

+1 to all of that.

Agree with all that. Again delighted to see Forster make crucial interventions and a couple of those saves were brilliant. His improvement has been crucial to this run continuing. Cha was diabolical today, he really was. One of Wanyama’s quietest games too. Good to see Commons playing well when he came on.

Agree with all that too! I can’t believe how bad Cha was. He even added a foul throw into the mix for good measure aside from his comical defending and shit crossing and distribution. Like I said pre game*, it wasn’t the team selection I’d have gone with but it was still good enough to win based on two pieces of individual class.

• I’m underrated as a tactician.

I’m risking taking loads of flak here but I didn’t think Cha was as disastrous as the rest of you. His final ball was awful when he got into good positions in the first half but I thought he took up decent positions and did the basics of defending better than Ledley on the other side. Having said that his distribution is far too poor to be in the team and Mattthews is comfortably better and I hope Lustig is too. I’m hoping Lennon was using an old Championship Manager tactic of playing a guy during the transfer window to get him noticed and hope someone comes in for a bid.

Delighted with the win anyway. That was certainly a game that could have gotten away from us but we didn’t drop the heads, stayed sharp at the back and in fairness to Lennon, while the initial selection didn’t work, he changed it early and both Stokes and Commons made a difference when they came on.

Huge credit to Forster too who did everything very well today. Fuck it, I’ll do ratings as I’m here:

Forster: 9 difficult conditions but his handling was perfect and he made one excellent save and a handful of very sharp stops
Cha: 5 see posts above
Rogne: 6 he is possibly under instruction to just lump the ball clear for the moment and concentrate on defending. Did well aerially against Thompson, though he needs to clear his lines better with headers instead of just flicking/glancing the ball away.
Mulgrew: 6 thought he looked uncertain once or twice and benefited from Rogne’s more physical style. His distribution was decent though and he’s our best defender when the ball is on the deck at the moment.
Ledley: 5 caught narrow too many times I thought and if St Mirren had a right-footer on that flank we’d have been in trouble.
Forrest: 7 not his greatest game by any means but grew into it and showed quick feet on the touchline a number of times. Took his goal superbly - the technique gets better with multiple viewings. Once again proved he’s far more comfortable on the right and it seems strange that Brown plays there when the captain would probably be equally at home on either side.
Wanyama: 6 a quieter game than usual as St Mirren found ways of passing it around him and didn’t give him opportunities to bully them. Still made a number of positive interventions and his passing has improved no end since he first got into the team.
Brown: 8 a constant positive in the first half when he buzzed around, without losing track of his defensive responsibilities, and won plenty of ball in the middle with strong tackling and quick reactions. His goal was terrific but the layoff for Forrest was possibly even better.
Ki: 6 started well and was one of Celtic’s better performers in the first half but that was in a team that wasn’t functioning well at all. Faded a bit by the time he was taken off - the right call but he wasn’t really the cause of the problem, just the quickest means of rectifying it.
Samaras: 5 appreciably more effective when deployed on the wing. Didn’t link up with Hooper at all despite the latter having a good game. Needs to learn to adapt to particular games or he will always look stranded in some matches.
Hooper: 8 didn’t get a goal but was sharp throughout and defended very well from the front. Excellent workrate and looked more likely to get a goal once Commons and Stokes came on.

Stokes was very positive but contribution marred a small bit by losing the ball on the right once when Celtic had numbers over and allowed a dangerous break the other way.
Commons too was a welcome addition to the team. Drifted inside well without drifting out of the game and picked up an awful lot of possession in his spell on the pitch.

I thought Cha was particularly brutal, moves seemed to every time he got on the ball. It was like a throwback to the days we had Paul Telfer occupying the right back spot.

Decent write up Rocko but I hold firm on Cha. I would have given him 0. He’s actually a clown.

Ledley was exposed a few times at left back all right. He kept getting attracted infield when a centre back was already shadowing the man in possession and leaving their wide player in too much space.

I thought Hooper was excellent today. Neil said in his post-match interview that last week and today was the best we’ve seen of Hooper in a Celtic jersey. That’s maybe a bit overboard but his all round game has been class in both matches.

Brown was good throughout too and we overcame that seriously sticky spell after half time when Brown was moved back infield following the introductions of Stokes and Commons. He helped us regain control of the game and his finish was sublime. It’s quite odd that he can misplace basic short passes with his strong foot on occasion but score goals of that quality with his weaker foot.

https://p.twimg.com/AjsXnzkCEAAvfKH.jpg

:lol:

I liked that he did the ‘Browny’ celebration again all right.

Just another point on the game, it’s a pity that so many games in Scotland are played in fucking storms. It doesn’t help the quality but it’s encouraging that teams like St Mirren and Killie are trying to take us on with passing football. Obviously you’ll still have teams like Motherwell and the huns that concentrate purely on thuggery but credit to St Mirren today.

That pictures actually gives a flavour of the terrible conditions. A howling gale blowing the pitch with driving rain at times too.

Bhoys, let’s not jinx any potential favourable result in another game by bumping another thread. Understood? Agreed?

Today’s excellent goals:

Forrest -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgekBFmryjc&

Brown -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHzcCddWvGg&

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/166899_324501680923077_133829389990308_957921_1362794068_n.jpg

Who. Is. That. Fox?

Packie is hardly banging that, is he?