Stage Dublinness -a Roy 🐐 Curtis education

Prick.

Not Jack.

I read the one paragraph before the blurred out premium wall kicks in… Roy evoking Hunter S. Thompson in relation to a chap who can run fast playing gaelic football in oireland… :joy:

I love you Roy

1 Like

That’s an outstanding piece - so many powerful lines but this one stood out for me.

I looked around me after McCaffrey glided past two Cork defenders to score the point of the afternoon – the men in red resembling winded commuters helplessly pursuing a bullet train that has already darted from the station in a several hundred miles per hour blur.

8 Likes

Incorrect.

Roy is one of the great Irish poets of the 21st century.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s Roy’s best effort. Jacko would be more like the names of small stations that a bullet train is passing. The passengers try to read the names of the stations but they’re doing well if they make out the first letter. “J…vroom”. But strictly speaking that analogy doesn’t work either as the defenders would be the ones moving, while the place names, ie. Jacko, remain stationary. But yet it does work, because when you’re on a train, everything else is moving, not you.

And anyway, nothing in the genre of over the top, semi-lacrymose eulogies for an INTERNET audience ever has to make sense.

Who are the others?

Is he a poet? I thought he was a journalist. Give me one of his published poems there.

I reckon he doesn’t know what poetry is, maybe that’s it.

December 26th.
Hugging as an Olympic sport. Friendship’s free pass.
The day after formality.
Lifelong pals.
Backing losers.
Porter.
As we get older, remembering becomes the finest treasure.
Thinking we’re young again.
An immeasurable joy. #ststephensday

The porter laureate :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Ball Ox.

Now that man could spit a rhyme.

What collection of poetry is that published in? Fairly low brow stuff

You need to experience poetry with your heart. Not your head.

1 Like

Up there with Heaney and Kavanagh for capturing the moment.
Some of his early stuff is still available here. An incredible wordsmith……

The best pub shitter in Dublin
can be found out in Crumlin
not a skidmark to be found
nor piss on the ground

1 Like

Theres something very mystical about McCaffrey.

Did i ever tell ye the story about the train journey to the Munster Hurling Final in the middle of Summer 2019 when Dublin were on the cusp of immortality?

4 Likes

Hopefully something exciting happened cos that match was very one-sided

Will you tell me the story please, pal?

The man with the stethoscope to the heart of Dublin

9 Likes