Stephen Ireland

Signed a new contract with City. He’s been very outspoken on the poor terms he was being offered so I assume they were drastically improved.

Ireland extends Man City contract

Manchester City midfielder Stephen Ireland has signed a new four-year contract at Eastlands.
The 20-year-old Republic of Ireland international has made 23 appearances this season and established himself as a regular in the City midfield.

He told his club’s website: "It’s a good time for me to get my new deal.

“I don’t have to worry about my immediate future now, I’ve got a long contract so I can progress and become a fixture in the side.”

Ireland is a product of the City academy and is enjoying a successful second season in the senior squad.

He added: “It’s hard being a young player coming through from the academy, you’ve got to be on form every day in training, as well as the games.”

He’s never been afraid to express his opinion for a player so young. There was the refusal of Brian Kerr to pick him in underage sides after he lashed out when he wasn’t picked in a particular team, his comments about the contract and even his comments after the Wales game about being uncomfortable on the right.

I initially thought he was going to be an immense player, then cooled off him but the last 2 Irish performances have renewed my faith in him. Still has an awful lot to do to warrant the Liam Brady comparisons some of the papers were making.

Yeah he has loads of room for improvement but he’s confident to the point of arrogant which is a good thing in my opinion. Impressive performances for his country and I think it’s fair to say Staunton wouldn’t have a job without him.