Leavin' Gerrard

Under Houlier he played a few positions
 But they were 9 men behind the ball and booted up the field to Owen
 For a few years under Rafa with a decent team he played more advanced and was brilliant. You can tweeks stats to suit any narrative but his peers rated him so much he was voted into the PFA team of the year 8 times, the most by any player
 Lampard got 3.

I don’t think he was versatile in the classic sense of the word. He couldn’t be trusted to hold a position which was one of the problems with him. But he was a match winner - and what a match winner.

He was strong, athletic and deceptively quick
 Meant he could do a job anywhere 
 The couple of years he played in behind Torres were magic

That was his best position - a free role.

Had a telepathic understanding with Torres.

To quote Dunphy.

“Gerrard
found out tonight
a nothing player”

He was completely ineffective unless the whole team was built around him.

Agreed he could do a job defensive mid but it took away from his game massively. He wasn’t suited to the wing at all, kept coming in

He was a fine player mate.

I wouldnt have him over Lampard in a million years though.

You always got the impression with Gerrard it was the Gerrard show. A very selfish kind of a player. Always looking for the Hollywood ball.

Lampard was miles ahead of him

2 Likes

Lampard played in much better teams than him.

1 Like

Terrible when lads decide whether a player was good or not enough purely by the colour of the Jersey he wore

An exciting player but his game was based on relentless hard running and brute force to an extent. Similar to Rooney, both had great technique is striking a ball and playing a raking 30 yard ball but lacked a bit of cerebral-ness/guile/positional acumen and vision that the greats have.

A good player and exciting to watch but doubt I would have him in a list of the top ten midfielders from around his vintage of early 2000s to mid 2010s. Would do well to make the top 20

1 Like

Lampard got 39 goals in 187 games as a young fella for West Ham, that got him the move to Chelsea.

Gerrard hadn’t the balls to go somewhere else

:joy:

Your entitled to your opinion. I’d take Gerrard any day if the week
 The selfish comments show you’re way off tho
 They saddled the club on him for years. Past players have come out time and again and said they always looked to him to dig them out
 and the pressure of being a local lad. He said it himself, at times the expectation was almost too much for him. As a player he probably would have been better off playing away from Liverpool.

1 Like

He tried to go to Chelsea that time and the Liverpool fans threatened his family and were burning his jersey outside his house

3 Likes

Lampard had Duff and Robben flanking him, with Makélélé beside him in 05 with Drogba upfront.

Gerrard won a champions league with Troare, Biscan, Barros, Ciise, Ć micer and Garcia the same year

5 Likes

He was phenomenal that year, but Lampard did it, year in year out. Hardly ever missed a game.

Gerrard was liable for a petulant suspension and a hissy fit every now and again

A fair few candidates but Gerrard ranks as one of Liverpool’s top 5 of all time. Carried the club for a decade. Wining the Champions League in 2005 with that team was the Gerrard show. Was unlucky not to win a league under Benitez and then Rodgers.

I don’t see him as a future Liverpool manager though.

1 Like

Agree there. He’ll probably end up managing some mid table premiership side

Bollocks.

Kenny Dalglish
John Barnes
Souness
Keegan
Suarez
Alonso
Owen
Rush
Hansen