Stick hurling: Parental Guidance advised

No reason at all they couldnā€™t. They organise competitions for all these clubs donā€™t they? They can organise anything.

Its about will.

Any lad even attempting to rise a ball with one hand has to give me 5 press ups there and then. Donā€™t go as hard on those who are cackhanded as that can be trained out of them at an older age. Itā€™s important for them to get a good strike on the ball too at the U-9 level.

And yes, to my shame, I am a bit like this with themā€¦

2 Likes

What should the approach be to coaching hurling to a mix of players, some almost beginners, some extremely proficient. How do you keep them all engaged?

Adult or kids?

Adults

Full squad? Like 15 + every night?

15-25 depending on the week

Change nothing. Basics Basics Basics.

Do conditioned games for tackling etc with them split according to ability. But i would on a rotation session to session put one or two weaker lads into the better group. See how they adapt and who adapts best. Some lads might be good on the ground but shit hurlers. You could use them for certain jobs.

For full games just split the teams evenly, they just have to try and raise their game gradually.

They will need plenty encouragement.

How big is the gap? And why does it exist? Is this ex-pat?

1 Like

Like Limerick tipp the last day?

2 Likes

Lower the blade.

And this is hugely imporfant, and not commin in GAA , but look at what they CAN do, and not their limitations.

Kerry are masters of this. The amount of fat useless looking fuckers i have met from Kerry who could kick 8 points in a game is uncanny. And its because they value everyone and they encourage everyone and emphasize the basics.

4 Likes

Not settling into Canadian life then?

Yeah ex pats, some lads who played senior at home, some lads who havenā€™t played since they were 14. Eventually itā€™ll be split into two panels, senior and junior but the training is mixed now. Iā€™m a full believer in mastering the skills so thatā€™s all you can do with drills. Playing matches at training just sees the game pass a lot by but not sure thereā€™s a fix for that pre split.

Bumped for @Fran.

Emmigrants ,not ex pats

1 Like

Nice bit of footage here of the 1959 AI final. Reckoned to be a classic final from a classic era. The hurling looks fairly ugly now. All ground hurling and not particularly good ground hurling at that.

1 Like

I see TG4 have decided to bin Seo Spoirt. The ratings must have been absolutely dreadful.

Ah thatā€™s a shame. Itā€™s was miles better than the Sunday game or whatever scutter Marty spewed out of a Friday evening

If they had the same team doing The Sunday Game as BĆ©arla itā€™d be great*

• except for SBB, the bitter horrrible cunt
3 Likes

All TG4 had small audience .