Stick hurling: Parental Guidance advised

lolz

1 Like

Christ

1 Like

No live stick hurling games on TV this weekend. No joy on the radio either. Fans of the game were left desperately scrambling around the wireless to see if any local radio stations were bothered to broadcast it as the main stations were broadcasting some rugby match instead last night.

Clare v Tipperary is live today, mate.

1 Like

According to TG4’s website, it’s deferred.

GAA BeoSERIES 16, EPISODE 52
Live coverage of Kerry v Cork from Austin Stack Park, Tralee in the seventh round of the Allianz Football League and deferred coverage of Clare v Tipperary from Cusack Park, Ennis in the Quarter-Final of the Allianz Hurling League. Presented by Micheal Ó Domhnaill with commentary by Brian Tyers, Aodán Mac Gearailt, Cuán Ó Flatharta and Cathal Moore

Tipp V Clare starts at 3,45pm, Kerry v Cork starts at 2pm, do the math pal.

1 Like

The website is wrong, pal. Now fall in.

Pretty damning alright, and no surprise.

Pretty damming about the benefits of s+c. Form an orderly queue here to aplogise to @caoimhaoin.

I’d safely say you could apply that across 80% of the counties in the GAA. Its lunacy whats being done, and asked of players.

Sean Quigley should be held up as an example to all as to how to go about your business.

Full time, well trained coaches is where as much money as possible should be pumped.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind getting a proper full time administrator into each county to be honest. And when I say proper, I dont mean the lads who are in there at present, lads who lucked into the roles. I mean a lad who understands putting structures into place and has a bit of dynamism about him and not beholden to factions or cliques.

I’d also to happen across a genie in a magic lamp. I suspect the latter is more likely to happen.

1 Like

I know it’s a different level but no one should be allowed near a pitch without basic training skills. Some of the carry on I’ve seen from lads coaching juveniles would scare ya.
It’s vitally important to hammer out bad habits out of kids early on.

1 Like

Totally agree. Underage coaching is absolutely terrible. Way worse than it was 5-6 years ago. So the more courses they do the worse the coaching. There is something in that. In their present guise i think most coaching courses are bullshit and they lack a real emphasis on Coaching education and you are coaching people, not machines or teams.

That report is great, and has to be welcomed, but the journalists approach to it is very biased and and totally disingenuous. He focus on Sports Science. Now there are some bluffers out there as was mention by Tomas O’Se recently (i think it may be one of these teams) about 2 weight sessions a day every 2nd day and 10km runs in between. But anyone in S&C who is genuinely qualified and wants to do their best will tell you its very often managers who will keep their distance and not involve you. Now he does mention it about the guy who said “i don’t know anything about that sports science stuff”, but thats purely ignorence, bad coaching, bad managing of team management (which he is responsible for) and a total lack of coaching education.

Its the coaches of these teams would for me be tge real issue there, bot the spirts science. Its up to the coach/manager to do his due dilligence. Now tge lad who was having guys in twice a day was clearly a bluffer and clearly taking them for a ride. But its still the managers fault.

This goes back to the irish attitude (which we share with other people on this Island and Australia but nowhere else) to coaching and not accepting it as a trade or a skill. There is still a feeling of it being “just something you do after playing”. Along with the fact that there is still huge belief in the fact that good players make good coaches. It doesn’t preclude them from becoming good, but i am starting to believe more and more that it is actually a huge barrier for them and some psychological training would need to go with it.the first thing they have to realise is just because it came easy enough to tgem does not mean its the same for everyone.

1 Like

Not sure how its damming to benefits of S&C? The benefits of anything are only beneficial when applied correctly. S&C should not suffer from managers makinh shit choices and not doing their jobs correctly. Or indeed County Boards picking bluffing managers

That’s amusing and could be applied to most counties. Pity Wexford wasn’t included and people were named and laughed at.

Mick Reynolds may or may not be upset at being mistaken for John Horan.

1 Like

I would be. Mick is a lovely man.

A lot of it is Down to clubs. Whoever shouts loudest or has highest opinion of themselves gets heard. Most lads are too busy with earning a living to care so the loud mouths and spoofers assume positions of control. Happens from underage up. I see fuckers in Crokes over underage teams with track jackets with their initials on them. Cunts.

The odd time you get lucky and the loud mouth does know what he is doing.

3 Likes

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post:34, topic:13135, full:true”]In their present guise i think most coaching courses are bullshit and they lack a real emphasis on Coaching education and you are coaching people, not machines or teams.

[/quote]

quick one Kev and I know we had previous discussions before in a similar vein, but have you been on any coaching courses recently and if so what were they or arranged by who?

1 Like

Ya, FMS course, last year. I’m doing various study all tge time. I deliver workshops to coaches, some of them very “qualified” with their Level 2 or a UEFA Licence etc, but completely blinkered or indeed not suited at all to coaching. But i know a number of coaches actually delivering courses around Ireland, particularly in GAA.

1. The courses don’t give the participants the ability to fish, they buy them a fish.
  2. There is no accountability thereafter so the course is a waste of time and only a box ticking exercise. Participants go away and do their own thing anyway.
  3. I know alot of very good candidates turned off coaching by having to do extensive courses at all. They breed a certain type of person/coach.

Very blanket of course what i say above and tgere are exceptions. But its very personal or club driven. As in really good leaders within particular clubs. It many are turned off that unless they happen to be in a good financial/work position themselves. So its pure pot luck for clubs.

TUM is right, its the “personalities” that get alot of these coaching jobs. Its an ego thing.

The IRFU are the only one doing it well. There is constant central contact, accountability and fenerally less assholes. I know many many people who are simply completely turned off the GAA in particular and to a lesser extent Soccer.

Soccer and GAA has failed in coaching. We have taken our lead from Englisg Rugby League and Soccer and look at the state of them.