Teachers

Useless cunts.

I saw 3 different wards.

3 different staffs. 1 superb, 1 abspkutely disgracefulky incompetant and 1 pretty shit but it may well have been over worked.

The stories you from others though is appalling

I don’t envy the job nurses do, lots of grief, horror. Couple that with poor working conditions and relative pay, it’s bound to take it out of them.

Thats not a surprise. Have to go foreign or go yourself.

1 Like

There is certainly that part.

How ever i saw alot of lazyness and pure imcompentancy.

Not all wards are ran off their feet either.

Be so good they can’t ignore you.

1 Like

Good god.
When they come home, do they spend their time dancing at the crossroads?

The UK hospitals come actively recruiting them prior to graduation offering free accomodation and free masters courses etc . So they must think its ok.

Some may be related to training but most is related to their being overworked, underpaid and not fully resourced. Motivation levels and morale at a low. Doctors not far behind on morale levels

As a matter of interest what would you know about nurse training in the past?

yourself, @caoimhaoin and @GeoffreyBoycott have really put in some astounding performances over the last few weeks, internet contributions of the very highest order ,ye have absolutely destroyed about 25 lads between ye

It’s because it’s overstaffed. All these chaps doing courses like S&C are wasting their time, it’s a fad, go into any gym in the country and there’s posters up advertising services and such but realistically it’s a slippery slope in terms of income, handy money but it’s not secure - it will fizzle out soon enough. I’d imagine it’s nigh on impossible for someone in this field to get a decent mortgage unless they have a big savings pool behind them.

The ones who gain that big social media presence will cream it in but the others will need to look at a career change after a while.

A bit like teachers, there’s never a shortage of supply in teachers. I’d imagine most that go down the teaching route do so because of the paid holidays and how ridiculously overpaid (pro rate) the starting salary is in teaching. The Educational system seems to have become ruined because universities now seem to cater for what people like or conveniences them rather than what is actually needed.

It needs to be addressed as its churning out loads of useless graduates.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what I am an example for exactly. I chose a course doing my leaving cert that was at the time a fairly high demand job at the end of it and paid reasonably well. It suited some of my better subjects in school too, but I wouldnt say I ever grew up with aspirations of going that route. Do I love my job now? Not sure I’d say I’d love it, but I dont hate it. I’ve manoeuvred things about and set myself up to have myself in a better situation where I can enjoy it and also have time to enjoy other things as a result. It was a risk, but certainly looking back, well worth it.

I actually had a chance to work at what I would love or am more passionate about. And similar roles have popped up in the meantime too. But it would be a drastic salary drop, on the basic package it would be at least half of net income, not factoring in expenses though which can be plentiful. The other thing was that the hours would be utterly ridiculous, all day out, most evenings and then weekends too. And there would be no overtime on that and the working hours to cover days off in practical terms is not being utilised. If I was single with no kids, I’d reckon I’d have done it, but at this stage there is no way that sort of role suits the situation I’m in now. I’m not sorry about that nor regretful, I still do what I am most passionate about anyway although not being paid for it but it can be more enjoyable as I can pick and choose what to get involved in and walk away too.

I’m also not sure there really is a shift against trades work either, or not that I see that much. There is massive demand, in construction at least, for that right now and if a young lad was leaving school and was in 2 minds, he’d be best of doing what suited him rather than being shoehorned into a degree route. I think what did happen was an awful lot of those trades that would have been coming out of school or tipping away all fucked off abroad and left a shortage then behind them. Whereas the typical route would have been to finish school and then do your apprenticeship through FAS or whatever was replaced with lads coming out of school and leaving to work elsewhere. Which would indicate in a shift in culture and also leave a shortage.

I think we’ll start to see a change in that now again. I do a thing with my former school on talks with leaving cert students and am gradually seeing the change in the last couple of years of lads whose ambition was to leave changing to lads who want to start apprenticeships here.

You made a point earlier about industries saying third level is shite and taking them straight from school is better. Now I dont actually believe that to be the case. I do believe, if you took someone out of school and mentored him for the 4 years he’d otheerwise be doing a degree, you would have him better trained than the lad who would have went through college on a more practical level. However doing college is not only about the end product, its about the road getting there. To do a 4 year degree takes application. Its the first time really where a person has to take responsibility for their own education and apply themselves. That in itself is a learning curve and experience that can only be learned, not taught. And its also a valuable learning experience even if a lot of what you come out with at the end might be a load of shite, it still shows character and ability in a person. There is a lot to learn going through college that you wouldnt get by going straight to an industry instead, if we are comparing the same job that typically has a college route.

4 Likes

bullet points please

There’s a shortage of teachers right now mate, the holidays are great but I doubt if you’d cut it.

• I dont love my job, but I dont hate it either

• I do it now to pay mortgage and expenses and it works for me.Could have done something else but pay was shit

• tradesmen are in demand again. things will start turning here again

• going to college gives you experiences you wont get going straight into an industry firm (if the usual route is college)

8 Likes

thanks mate, good to see some introspective on a Friday morning

1 Like

There’s not. There aren’t enough permanent posts to fill for teachers. They’re always on TV moaning about subbing.

Do you want them to walk out of college and into a permanent position?