Teachers

I think you’re getting defensive about salient points on teachers.

You don’t have the temperament for the handiest gig around?

3 Likes

Yes the former.

No i think the majority think college is not fit for purpose in many cases. That would be my experience talking to people.
Except then where there is industry driven quals like at the Tyndel in UCC and in CIT thru Dell and others.

This. This is what i am talking about. Your ability. Your likes.

There is alot to be said, and i know parents giving this advice to their kids, to not killing yourself at LC (try and do well but not over do) take time off, work in part-time/run of the mill jobs. Have some fun. Maybe travel. And then go in as mature student.

People live longer. Someone with life experience and a degree at 26 is way way more valuable than a 22 year old with a degree.

1 Like

What salient points?

You made wild generalisations.

Not really.

My views are based on the evidence I have.

Facts are that teachers pro rata pay and holiday entitlements are far and above what they should be. They then hold the education of children to ransom because they want more.

1 Like

The paid time off is the number one attraction to becoming a teacher. There are probably a few that see it as a vocation but they would be in a massive minority. 4 teachers told me to take pass papers in my Leaving. I told them all I was taking the higher paper. My english teacher gave me an hour every Saturday evening between the mocks and actual exam. He would be in the minority.

Things might be tougher for them nowadays but things are tough for everyone. If everyone threw their jobs into a ring and were asked to stick or change, there’d be very few teachers changing when they see what others have to offer.

1 Like

The lads shouting down teachers wouldn’t last pissing time in a class or dealing with parents… The lad that takes his moral viewpoints from the 1st century in particular would be sacked after a few months.

2 Likes

Teachers sacked?

Good one

Ok. Maybe i avoid some wasters, but i come into contact with alot of teachers thru various connections. Social, work, friends, Sports, community projects etc. So all sorts.

I would say 75-80% see it as a vocation and as very important work. A female friend said yesterday she “missed the kids already”.

Yes a % get into it for the wrong reasons or see no other option (i would say this is more secondary school) . But ffs every job is like that.

This is people allocating time with effort.

I meet it all the time. “Why is a session 100euro?”
Well i have to

• prepare
  • get there
  • not take other clients
  • review
  • consult

If i actually charged for the effort and real time it would be closer to 200. But my market (or indeed my name as of now) does not allow that.

I see teaching similarily. All you see is finished at 3.30. Whereas i see “can’t go training tonight, October report to finish” or “can’t go to pub sunday night as i have lessons to prepare”

Etc.

The grass always looks greener

Fuck. I totally forget the parent aspect.

Or if in certain areas dealing with scumbags or traveller kids oarents who threaten and intimidate (even the kids do that)

Even allowing for prep work they have a relatively short working day. 9-4 with free classes and a lunch hour. To compare with my own situation, my core hours are 8.30 - 5 with unpaid overtime thrown in. My free class is a trip to the traps.

teaching is a grand job, there is a good reason so many young lads and lassies are going into it now and the handy hours and the long summers/easters/christmasses, halfterm etc etc would have a good bit to do with it.
granted not everyone would be cut out for it. ie those who have ambition, those who dont have a need to be talking down to young childeren and youths, those who see the benefit of being questioned , and those who would get bored with nothing to do for 3 months of the year.

Dealing with parents is a savage part of it at primary school — lots of pressure put on teachers day to day by parents wanting to know why their special little shit isn’t flourishing like they expect them… they get face to face dealings at class door, letters, specially requested meetings…I’ve have friends that experienced close to bullying from parents. Not many professions where you are so open to the scrutiny of the community like teachers are — Another twist is kids on social media these days - A chap I know who teaches in west Limerick was made fun of and almost bullied via snap chat that went out to the wider community of kids for months because he dared take a phone off a 6th class kid …

Teachers also have to deal with an awful lot of off curriculum educating and problems – kid comes in that is not being fed / hygiene problems / potential abuse etc etc -

Funny how some of the same lads here go on about volunteerism in the GAA and how GAA is nurtured at schools by teachers — A lot of teachers give up their own time with all sports — the rugger ones get paid tho.

1 Like

Primary school teaching ain’t like that anyway.

And good secondary schools task their teachers alot more than that too.

Some don’t give a fuck. But thats life.

But i would suggest 40 mins teaching a mixed class of 15 years olds, some who want to learn, some who don’t is worth 2 hours of stress for most “professional” jobs.

1 Like

Thats it.

The hypocriosy is laughable.

An interesting point made to me recently by a teacher who is a single mother, was the need for male teachers is now greater than ever. Not just tor the sake of sports, but simply as male role models

Been like that for a while and male student teachers get a bit more of a softer ride as a result …

How much do teachers earn these days mate?
I wouldn’t have thought they’re very well paid, it seems to me that you’re jealous of the time off but I’ve absolutely no doubt but that you wouldn’t cut it, I’m sure you wouldn’t want to.
But putting up articles that prove that you are wrong is a strange turn of events even for you.

He is one hell of an insecure fella.

He was tagging me on a discussion about ACL’s recently in Serie A and i think he was looking for some sort of justification for his own injury and to absolve himself of any poor training he did, or maybe laziness. And kinda wanting to compare himself to these professional wing backs.

Hè is a very strange fish

Very strange, the bitterness towards the teaching profession is odd, you’d hear lads moaning about the time off but a supposedly successful fella like himself wouldn’t often moan about the measly wage paid to young teachers, you’d know he will never have any investment in education, bitter bitter man.

You spend half your day posting on here and you talk about people having handy numbers?

2 Likes