Teachers

It was a kid who didn’t want to go and his dad told me. They yltrain together with me and he was missing for that reason. He felt pressured to go. End of story

Work hard is grand. But no pressure.

And it sounds like ego and copy and paste more than anything.

his father clearly needs to get this priorities right ,
of he feels his son needs to get the extra tuition on offer then he should encourage him to go, if he feels its non value added and if his son dosent need it then no issue… dont go,

Well he let it up to the young lad. Nothing wrong with that.
I’m not privy to the conversations but guessing based on the personality the dad would have said “go if you want to, but you don’t have to”.

Its ridiculous that they cannot get the job done in required time.

If there is too much to cover them fucking stand up to/with the unions and/or government.

Some subjects are more difficult than others. Did you do honors Math? Its not easy to teach and very difficult for many students. It is inportant though if you want to pursue a career in STEM, and a lot of kids don’t realize it’s importance at 16.

Kids should be encouraged and not coerced I agree, but if they have the ability they should be pushed a little by parents and teachers.

Ya no problem with that, and its individual also. Some kids (like athletes or anyone) need a kick up the arse, some an arm around the shoulder.

I was good at maths and did Honours till i got my 5th year teacher. He was impossible to understand and taught like we all had his brain and deep knowledge. He was a college professor in a school teacher gig. He was hailed as a genius but only 20% of the class had any idea what was going on. I eventually jacked it in for pass maths. And funny enough i struggled with that for a while as the aplroach was different.

I don’t believe honours is a must. At some point you may need to get really good at certain aspects for jobs in that sector. But there are too many reasons someone may not do LC hons Maths to just throw away potential talent.

System is really flawed. Apptitude for subjects and careers needs to be assessed better

i worked my balls off in honours maths to get a B2
grinds with the nuns every wednesday after school
blood, sweat and tears
cc @Tassotti id say young fintan would be slaving at the homework

How do you know the grinds helped?

I think he had one of those cut price english teachers. She was cheap, worked the bog in the summer but didn’t speak great english

Who else would know?

There is no way of proving they helped.

Its confirmation bias.

Its arguable if he chilled out and didn’t do that grind he would have got an A.

Our brains are like the rest of our body. Ober training has negative effects.

Its mind boggling teachers still support this racket. If course its for money reasons for some.

But there is something wrong that grinds are needed at all. And as far as i am aware from talking to psychologists who work in educational sector there is nobevidence to support them or even homework whatsoever.

The over load is anti-learning

Tbh mate and I don’t mean to sound harsh but I think you really have to do honours maths to know how much work has to be put in. The course is so long (that is an issue) that you have to really go through things quickly so grinds will help you go through those things in more detail

I did hompurs maths up to middle of 6th year. Its actually not a good time to switch.

I don’t take any offence, you are partially right. But you are agreeing with my point, the course is ridiculous and full of stuff not needed ever again.

But what you are saying is also your experience. We all know lads who breeze thru it too. Is their relaxed state of mind helping them do the minimum and get A’s. Or indeed was it the way they learned as 5-8 year olds (which it may well be)

And asically ýou (or the education system) is discounting people who are actually very good at maths but learn in different and maybe complex manners.

Hence that teacher i spoke of was actually shot. The Jurgen Klopp of teaching. One way and one way only.

Jesus, that was a bit harsh wasn’t it?

1 Like

It was 'Ra country where i went to school

1 Like

It’s a while since I did it, but I can’t remember too many lads who breezed through it. One lad in my year did the mathematic olympiad or whatever it was called back then and he definitely worked at it, despite a natural aptitude.

Like you its hard to remember fully and everyone is at different levels but there was a good number i went to school with that it came quite easy to. They worked, but absolutely nowhere near kids are expected to do now.

I am not suggesting they did fuck all.

All 540+ points types

yeah id say so
i was shite at maths and needed it drilled into my head
LC was and id say still is all about questions divided into 3 parts, parts A/B you needed to nail to get a C3 i remember, part C was then for heavy hitters
higher level maths was brutal i remember, not even first second year in college came close to it
yes, id never have made it if i didnt have them
the school i went to was an absolute madhouse and its a miracle people succeeded at all

i got a b in honours maths and i didn’t do a lick
even now decades later i often regret not opening a book beforehand and got the auld A
had a great teacher though, the famed willie walsh