Teachers

That never happened.

4 Likes

I’m on the teachers side.of this… although yes they do get decent pay, bottom line is they are with our kids as much as we are, pay them a decent wage, ffs. the average wage in Irish rail is 60k. My brother is a principal in a primary school and he does a fair bit of work, some too during the summer.

1 Like

That’s a sticky situation.

2 Likes

Bants

A teacher pal of mine recently told me that the kids are the easy part nowadays. It’s the parents that are the problem.

3 Likes

I wonder was it captured on tape?

2 Likes

I don’t know, it seems cut and dry from here.

1 Like

There’s two very different sides to this pal

1 Like

:grinning:

Teacher keeping her mouth shut as well.

@fenwaypark

You responded to a post i had somewhere on Coaching the Coaches and said there should also be “teaching the teachers”. I meant to get back to you on it.

1. I agree 100%. Would be way better than half tge stuff they are forced to waste their time on.
  2. Do teachers still believe in “Learning styles”?
    I know its debunked but i have heard aeveral teachers in recent years indicate they use it or actually stated as such.

@backinatracksuit may also be interested

What’s this now Kev? Are you talking PE?

No Fenway mention he believed there should be a teach the teachers approach like there is coach the coaches.

I wanted to get back to him on that and get back to him on it

What you mean by ‘learning styles’? The PME is a total waste of time. There was a couple of old colleagues of mine who were supervisors on the PME. The same lads were easily two of the worst teachers in the school, no classroom control, poor knowledge of their subject and their classroom direction was terrible. I often suspected that most of the supervisors are ‘failed’ teachers.

Too much time spent on useless shite like sociology of education and the like, and not enough on methodology i.e. how to teach different and challenging aspects of syllabus/specification.

Some teachers are great at sharing resources and ideas. Unfortunately, the majority are unwilling to do this. In any school, you have a handful of really exceptional teachers, majority are decent enough, with a handful shocking.

When you say Learning styles have been debunked… expand on that a bit more. You mean whether some pupils learns better visually or whether some are better if they experience kinesthetically etc??

Learning styles like kids (or anyone) learns in a certain pre-determined way.
What Vark tests gave us an indication of.

Audio learner.
Do’er
Visual learner

Etc

Yes exactly

People probably do learn in different ways but in a class of 30 you dont have the luxury of being bespoke. You have to adopt a style of teaching whereby you are confident that the majority of the class understand the message.

I do workshops with colleagues. I don’t proclaim that the way I teach my subjects is the best and only way to teach these subjects. What I do know is that it is effective for the vast majority of students. They can take on board what I show them or not.

There are many ways to skin a cat. Since I started teaching, my classes have performed exceptionally in state exams. My first year teaching one subject, a student received the gold medal for placing first in Ireland in that subject.

The way I taught then is a world apart to what I do now. I’m always looking to evolve and improve, always exploring better ways of teaching subject matter.

1 Like

Like a good coach essentially.
Well done.

What the scientists believe is there is no learning styles.

I believe learning preferences but they would be environmental rather than genetic.

Here is a guy i actually had a robust conversation with on it. He convinced me i was wasting my time with VARK etc for athletes. As it fits nicely and i “thought” it was helping. I know now from science and oractice it does not matters a jot.

In feneral though back to your teach the teacher. I am totally on board. Its at a simple level about sharing.

And sharing is not something irish academics.like to do.

Imagine educators unwiing to share.:joy:

Good in you thpugh. Like to hear that. Smart fellas will take what they like from you and fit it into their own way

1 Like

And I’ll never thank you enough for that honour. Still in my cabinet

10 Likes