Teachers

I’m friends with a ton of teachers and they never complain about pay / hours — the only complaints I hear are really about Parents and maybe some policies. The only complaining being done around here is from you and Nemby kid

Yeah hit it on the head-on 2 friends in Derry teaching burnt out before reaching 50,one teaching in Carnhill high school ( at the time 86/90) tough enough job- other guy at still Columbs- both brothers,stuck promoting hurling after hours etc etc

What dig? Honestly no dig intended. (At you)

I think teachers are fairly paid. I also think everyone knows the job and conditions, if someone thinks its a piece of piss they should go fo it. There are plenty of jobs going.

Burnt out from tipping around with a hurl and sliotar from 3.30-4? Poor craters.

1 Like

Agreed.

most people don’t get ridiculed for getting paid for work, it seems teachers do

No, they get ridiculed when they start bleating for more pay. They get paid plenty.

no, they get ridiculed about holidays, the hours they work, the time off, the option for a career break etc etc. Before they ever look for more money.

New teachers actually have fairly shitty conditions. they work on zero hour contracts, basically subbing. It can be quite hard to actually get placed in a permanent position or so I’m led to believe.

It’s another mismanaged situation from successive governments. They’ve basically allowed a pay gap to materialize, where older, burned out teachers are getting all the pay and haven’t the energy/inclination to make things better in schools.

6 Likes

This is a belter of a post. The subbing and zero hours shit has been a disgrace. Thankfully, that is becoming less of a problem as there are more posts these days. I know a lad who was commuting from monastrevin to Nenagh every day to work half hours (11 a week) on an hourly rate. I think we can all agree that that is a type of hell no-one should have been through. He now happily commutes to drogheda everyday for a fulltime contract.

Teachers sold the new entrants down the river. These are the teachers we are ridiculing.

That seems to be a comment that covers a broad spectrum of teachers. It is a fairly disingenuous, nasty comment, from someone who I’d imagine is fairly unhappy in the work that they do.

If you think they have it so handy would you not do the required education and training, sub for a year or two and then get a permanent position. It may take you 6 or so years, but you know, you get to tip around with a sliotar

Well they shouldn’t be ridiculed for those unbelievable perks they have but those perks should always be brought up when the conversation comes to looking for more pay. They are incredible perks to the job and are not seen in any other profession really. Agreed about the conditions for new teachers, they are shit but isn’t it the teachers who voted for that? Sold their younger colleagues down the river for their 40 silver coins.

1 Like

It’s a constant theme from teachers. We have to supervise, we have to correct exams, we have to train teams… yes, you’re a teacher, why do you think you shouldn’t have to do this work? Where does the expectation come from that they think they should be paid extra for doing work that is basic for the job description.

they feel the need to say that because when they meet cunts like you at a party telling them they’ve the handiest job in the world and questioning what they do.

1 Like

ASTI and INTO, I don’t know about TUI are working hard to get it restored. I was of the opinion this gap happened because of cuts in 2011. I am open to the possibility of me being wrong on this.

Can you explain the rationale behind thinking that tasks like correcting exams, supervision or training teams is considered “going that extra mile”?

It seems to be a misconception that people with a predetermined bias against teachers use as a stick to beat them with (like you)

I’ve never heard a comment like that from a teacher and I know a few. Then again, I don’t back them into a corner and ask them to justify their wages to me either

Fair enough. You might want to get a bit of fairness in your own opinions there as well though. If teachers are all off this week then why do loads of them have to correct mock exams? It’s like when teacher haters use primary school teachers for one part of the hours argument (length of day) and secondary school teachrrs for another (3 months holidays.). Its part of the terms and conditions. Get on with it.
Alsp i believe lots of schools have issues at present with getting teachers to coach teams/run extra curricular stuff. Its not neccessarily out of laziness but out of fear of complaints etc.

1 Like

very salient point.

I coached an under 14 team voluntarily and the parents were a fucking nightmare. This was u-14 soccer. It didn’t matter. And they were still an absolute fucking nightmare.

Education matters. Can you imagine the shit you’d have to deal with from parents.

I taught full time for a couple of years. Great job but very demanding. Hours were outrageous sometimes. But i taught in a private school abroad so conditions were different to here. Had to deal with bizarre stuff from parents like phone calls at night about why their kids wasnt in such and such a team etc…(parents could get your phone number!)

1 Like