Teachers

Ridiculed? They have summers off, get the best chance of employment and salary possibly as a study proved today and that doesn’t even take into account the extra hours and weeks pretty much every other industry works.

Maybe they would have a better chance of permanent jobs if other teachers weren’t being allowed swan off across the work for years with their permanent job held for them. The report today’s states they have the most lucrative and greatest chance of employment for graduates so save the tears for them.

It’s mismanaged in that teachers as a collective are overpaid and underworked. From the older staff right through to the new recruits.

Take that journal article.

41k a year for working 8/9 months in a year. Working about 22 hours a week.
If you standardise that with someone who works a standard 39 hour week and throughout the year then the salary comes in at a salary of around 100k a year and that does not take in the other benefits of pension, job security and guaranteed annual salary increases.

Teachers regularly get on the defence with, the oh I have to do x, y and z in addition to my working hours. Why do they think they are unique in these circumstances? Plenty of people work above and beyond their duties in their employment. If they don’t feel like they are being rewarded they either suck it up or move on. Teachers like to say they have stressful jobs, again why do they feel these circumstances are unique to them. Plenty of people deal with highly pressurised jobs and have to deal with unsavoury circumstances or people in them. They either suck it up or move on to something that suits them better. What do teachers do? Jeopardise the education of those they are in charge of and go striking. Why not just get different jobs and leave teaching?

You see, not many teachers leave teaching, for the money they make, the hours they work, the holidays they get, the pension benefits, the guaranteed wage rises, the job security - they know there’s not a job out there that will match that irrespective of how much they dislike their job.

1 Like

Nurses deal with death and suffering everyday. I think they deserve 4 months off as well.

Who agrees with this? Did you read that report about graduates this morning. Teachers fare best in terms of financial and job opportunities out of college. On a broad spectrum they have it unbelievably food.

They don’t. Mock exams are farmed out to be corrected outside of the school. Generally students have to pay a few quid for this. If they are correcting Mock exams on their time off it’s because they are being paid extra to do so by a mock exam company.

1 Like

So what? I know people in private sector jobs who can’t get days off for weddings or other events either.

Oooft.

More teacher lies.

If we can ask people to stop dying for 4 months of the year i’d fully support that.

2 Likes

@Cicero_Dandi is this the “report” you are basing your diatribe on?

“The survey looks at salaries across each sector. This gives an average figure which does not capture the higher salaries earned by graduates in some professions, such as law”

Yes, mate it gives the average figure across all sectors and industries. Guess which one came out on top?

This gives an average figure which does not capture the higher salaries earned by graduates in some professions, such as law

so basically any profession with a higher salary is not included. Fudged.

No mate. Not correct. It deals with average figures across all sectors not the highest figures.

Do you get €38k starting off? I thought it was around €30k?

I must look into a post grad teaching course.

I put a link up last week. Primary school teachers start at around 36k I think.

It’s 30 … think they work in a few payments for extra duties like being on yard duty /giving up your lunch and other things like that but the starting salary is just under 30k

Fuck that though. I could do the secondary school teaching alright but them primary school teachers are saints IMO

“Yard duty” :joy: I’d say I could just about manage to walk around in a circle for 40 minutes for a few extra quid.

2 Likes

What about childcare practicioners with no job security, no pension benefits, longer hours, standard private sector annual leave, paid substantially less?

They do a tougher job than teachers.

I dont make the rules … but yeah - they get close to 36k I think all in…

is teaching not lumped in with general public service sector?

So what? Contract of employments will generally state the hours you need to work and they are exclusive of any lunch hours.