Terrorism Thread. The terror of another nembo kev thread

poor parents afraid to spend quality time with their kids have them attending these blitz

the minute the kids can think for themsevles they ditch the GGA

The joy on the kids and parents faces was overwhelming, it was a beautiful thing. I must admit I had my beliefs shaken to the core for I had always believed that GGA was dead in the capital.

Still, its better that they have some exercise, given the reports that came out today about our young.

Malahide isnt in the capital

My apologies. Dublin and its surrounds. It was a shock, I didn’t expect to see GGA thriving in Malahide. I popped away and grabbed a Frap to settle myself afterwards.

Where did i ever say the some of the GAA was not doing its part?

But as ever, the GAA abdicates its responsibility to the entire community. Leaving it to chance with the clubs themselves. But the situation in Ballincollig is a picture of a general society here. It works better elsewhere.

But a promotional video as proof? Ffs, its not google we’re all working for.

Thats not a promotional video, unless the Guardian engage in promotional videos for GAA Clubs in the West of Ireland now. Did you watch it?

Nope.

But it is still one example and as i said, its still down to the individuals

Of course it is just one example, but its a good example and shows what can be done by a progressive club, and one with a history of integration. Ballyhaunis had the first Mosque in Ireland after all.

Give it a watch.

2 Likes

Ireland and the GAA are a welcoming bunch.

I watched a chunk of it.

And certainly its very good. But i don’t think acting normally should be overly special. For me thats the base level.

Nobodies calling it special, its whats being down, and they chose to highlight one example of it.

Says the man who uprooted his kids took them to the other side of the world so he could smoke spliff and surf and then uprooted them again to move back when he failed in oz

4 Likes

Was this some report saying Ireland can expect to be the fattest country in the world in 10 years or something?
Seen the same for Australia, Canada (ironically 2 of the best countries in the world for promoting health & play) and the UK and a few otheds over the years. Which makes me think there are other motives for these reports.

I agree, and i gave another one above. And well done to those places. But what is the GAA doing to replicate that?

Perhaps, but, does it always have to be “The GAA” as an organisation though? Cant it just be individual Clubs handling individual problems on an individual basis? TBH after my experiences with Croke Park I’d tell the lot of them to fuck off and let the lads on ground get on with things. A more useless shower of cunts you wont come across than some of them up there.

It’s not the GAA’s job to save society, mate.

Yes, it’s community based ethos means that it should be making efforts to integrate all walks of life into the club and community but you can’t force people to play/ get involved. Eastern Europeans by and large don’t want to integrate. Africans and some of the Asian community will whole heartedly get involved in most sports community stuff, while other Asians will stick together. Many other Europeans are here for a short stay for work etc… the GAA can’t break down cultural barriers if that culture is about banding /sticking to your own, they can only extend the hand.

You likewise want Irish people to go out and solve all our problems with a ‘how do you do’ attitude - it’s not as simple as that, the country has completely transformed and we went from a country of 99% Irish to a multi-cultural country in 20 years. Of course there are going to be problems and racism and all the rest, but we will figure that out as we go along and deal with the problems that are new to all of us as we meet them. You used Ballincollig as an example of 2 nd generation migrants running amuck - and it’s a prime example of what i’m saying- the amount of new houses built there over the last 15 years that have housed new/young families from all background has been explosive, the place has been transformed with youngsters not buying into established etiquette or social norms as they don’t exist on these new housing estates.

I lived next to a few polish families in Limerick and it was completely different, they were in a long settled estate and tho they socialized with their own most of the time, their kids largely played with every other kid on the street and the eldest daughter had an Asian boyfriend - which is totally different picture to what you’re painting.

Ireland isn’t perfect. No country is. But it isn’t crumbling at the seams either, mate. For every negative example you can throw up there will be an equally positive one - that’s just life.

3 Likes

I was in croke park on Sunday . I noted 1 confederate flag in the hill . Also I’d hazard a guess the most immigrants to Ireland know little and care less about what flag a few kids wave at a hurling match . They have more important things to concern them.

1 Like

No. I think sports comtrobution to society is more important than ever. And seeing as the GAA gets millions from the people i think they have a mandate and a responsibility to do the same for everywhere.
There is a well known crossroads near me that 3 parishes converge on. 3 different GAA clubs. Each one while largely similar to most GAA clubs, with 3 different approaches.
Lets assume 1 makes a huge effort, 1 doesn’t and 1 jas a huge pick but prioritizes winning above all else. 3 different kids at 3 different houses withing 50M of each other are treated totally differently.
Why do they deserve anything different? Just because they bought a piece of land at a different side of the road to their friends and neighbours?

The GAA, and all organisations, who reciece money from us and are responsible for children need to be doing their best to give every child a chance.
Some counties are avtually doing this. But again its off their own backs.

The GAA fat cats are just happy to keep the status quo. The majority of them have absolutely no societal awareness or feel responsibility. Its linked to my thoughts on coaching education. They created this child welfare nonsense, usually taken up by a non-coaching officer and a token position. The welfare of the child is how you provide and act for them all the time. Not signing off some piece of paper.

Fundamentally i disagree with that.

My father in law was dying mate

Its the gaa’s job to contribute

the GGA has a negative affect mate

an organisation which hoovered up all the sports grant despite nobody playing it