Test Match Cricket

The traditional New Year test in the spectacular setting of Newlands, Cape Town is in progress as well. At lunch on Day 2 the score is Pakistan 177 South Africa 188/4.

England lost to the aussies a while back after a very big first innings iirc.
I think warney did them in the second innings

Record first innings total to lose a test match is 595, Bangladesh v NZ last year.

1 Like

That’s the Adelaide test in the 2006/07 Ashes you’re referring to presumably. England declared on about 550 in first innings. Australia got to about 520 in their first innings. England were going along at a ridiculous run rate of about 1.5 an over in 2nd innings, thinking they were putting down time for a draw. Suddenly there’s a few quick wickets, panic and England go from about 70/1 to all out for less than 130. Australia had about 170 to chase down to win for a match that looked like a nailed down draw from the start. If England had batted at any kind of respectable run rate, even 2.5 an over, Australia wouldn’t have had time to chase down the winning runs.

India have 70 more runs on the board here and Australia are not going to pick up 20 wickets - unless they follow on.

1 Like

No, I can’t see anything but a draw or an Indian win here, that English team were spineless. I just recalled vaguely England managing to lose from an apparent position of safety.

McGrath Foundation day in Sydney today for the fourth test

Nelson alert. Australia 111/1

Australia 300 all out and 6-0. First time in 30 years the Australians have followed on in a home test.

1 Like

I was reading that there alright. 1988 the last time, ends a run of 172 consecutive home tests without following on. Another below standard batting performance. It might not be as difficult to force your way into the Australian batting line up as @Fitzy was claiming it was a few weeks ago.

First test in the 2019 renewal of the Wisden Series under way this afternoon at the Kensington Oval.

Windies 54/1 after 18 overs.

I see Sir Alistair Cook has joined the BBC radio Test Match Special Team.

1 Like

England collapsing 49-6

Carnage. 49/7 now. Fifth for Kemar Roach. He’s on fire. Incredible spell.

61/8

They can’t bat to save their lives.

73/9

A Mass-a-cree

All out for 77,

After beating the world ranked number 1, India, 3-1 last summer and winning 3-0 in Sri Lanka before Christmas, things did seem to be looking up. This is very disappointing though from an England perspective. All the old failings with the bat on show again.

Follow on not enforced. Windies to bat again.

Windies 289 & 415/6 dec England 77 & 246

Windies win by 381 runs. Roston Chase picked up 8 wickets in the 2nd innings.