TFK Capitalist Thread

Where is the gap between 100m and 7bn coming from? Dollar hardly colapsed that bad!!

100m is the minimum for design/engineering/planning/consultancy etc.

the little + at the end gave it away. Wouldn’t know what they’d be thinking by the time all that shite is done

Cheers. Tis a fair + from 100m to 7bn. Most likely the 7bn is an alternative fact

This factory and the investment around it was announced during obamas term, this is just a reanouncement for spin

The Irish plant will get something yet

A business plate and PO box.

2 Likes

Everything’s going to be ok lads. The White House appearance was a plamásing is all

I hate to be the harbinger of bad news chaps, but the similarities between 1929 and 2017 are unreal. The Fed fought a reflationary economy for much of the 1920s, keeping interest rates low for several years. Eventually they started to tighten, just at the wrong time as the economy had already started to contract. Stocks dropped 89% to their bottom in July 1932, and took until 1954 to get back to October 1929 levels. Be careful out there fellow gamblers.

Agreed about all the indicators showing an overvalued market with the risk of correction. However the two questions seem to be how long can it continue at these heights and how to construct a defensive portfolio for any correction (without just withdrawing into cash)

This current rally is classic blow off top. Everyone on the same side of the boat, volatility banished, big swing from bonds to equities. Everyone thinks they will get out and avoid big losses but they never do, end up pleading with positions to stop dropping.

We are in extreme greed stage.

1 Like

Shares101 … Keep moving the price on your stop loss orders up & set them GTC.

In other news, BOI being cheeky here. BOINGAWONGA

Have you told @ProjectX any of this?

2 Likes

Have you withdrawn completely to cash?

No, but I have my equity positions hedged.

I like apple tart.

Individual stocks or ETFs? How have you gone about hedging?

I only own large ETFs like VTI. Hedging with volatility products like VXX/TVIX. Extremely volatile products and not ones you want to hold for long unless market tanks and VIX goes from contango to backwardation.
At present stocks and volatility are trending up, a bit of an ominous signal.

You’ll be right
Eventually.

2 Likes

As long as I’m right when it counts mate!

Snapchat, lost $515m last year, estimated value by the time it floats today; $32bn. For a price to earnings ratio of -62/1.

To put that in context BT group is worth about £32 billion and made £3 billion profit last year. Now obviously the two companies are in completely different growth phases, but for Snapchat to get to something like FB’s valuation relative to earnings (which itself is high as high growth is expected) vs it’s current valuation it would need to be earning $1bn a year in profit.

FB is aggressively cannibalising Snap’s business model & Instagram (just one wing of FB) is already growing faster than Snapchat.

We learned a little bit from the first tech bubble, but not a lot.

#capitalism

2 Likes