TFK Capitalist Thread

No, was thinking local galway or glenstal tbh.

Someone will have to pay for the public sector pensions when we all go over the cliff

2 Likes

They make a lovely cheese in Glenstal

reallly punish him and send him to cork, or if you really want tp punish him, send him to gonzaga

No, to be fair to him, he works in a bank giving advice on funds, investments, loans etc

3 Likes

Being an accountant and being fucking clueless about things like money (and financial reporting standards and auditing) is not mutually exclusive, Ambers.

2 Likes

It needs to be a boarding school or else somewhere in Galway where he can saddle the relatives with the young lad.

1 Like

Bizarrely, it’s the first thing I’d do. Don’t know why. Old school attitude to debt I spose.

KH it is then, at least its mixed

Exactly.

I don’t think flatty is a prod

Me too.

whilst KH is of the protestant ethos, we’re welcoming of all faiths, even popery

I know it’s grim but When discussing getting the longer mortgage at an older age would you not consider that one of you could be dead by the retirement age and with it goes the mortgage? To me the idea that everything begins when you retire is quite arrogant … More broadly I think you should want money when your young to do things with kids , not when you’re old and so bolloxed after the flight to a destination that you need to sleep in hotel for the evening… Or you can’t eat a nice meal cos of your blood pressure…

3 Likes

There is that. I agree with this.
Tbh, if we push the mortgage out to 15 years, our monthly payment would actually reduce.
I’ll just let it roll and see what happens.

Some great advice all round here. @Fagan_ODowd and @Julio_Geordio should be charging for it.

Re: pensions - maxing out your tax free allowance is literally free money. You can put it into a pension fund tax free and then withdraw the first €500,000 in a lump sum tax free also. You pay normal income tax on it as it comes out after the €500,000 you could structure it so you take it out slowly and only pay the lower tax rate. Free money.

Re: paying down the mortgage or putting it into an investment fund - you need a guaranteed return of double your mortgage rate for this to make sense. Plus the tax compliance with investing is a complete pain in the arse.

Re: mortgage protection and paying down the mortgage - @Bandage’s wife will get a lump sum regardless of whether the mortgage has been paid off. The life protection amortises at the same rate as the original mortgage and doesn’t adjust for the overpayments.

It wouldn’t be saddling anyone. He is the nicest lad you’d ever meet. I just would like to give him a run at living in Ireland as I think he’d have a better life.

Sure with that breeding how would he be any other way.

I’m not a prod. I’m a Catholic, but I’ve begun to think that organised religion is a bad idea :grimacing:

His mother is a genuinely lovely person. She has a smiley face, which is the best reflection of a person you’ll ever get.