TFK Guide: How do I write a post?

TFK on Discourse (that’s the new forum software) uses Markdown as the primary editor. This is different to the standard bbcode you might be used to. The good news is that bbcode tags will still work, so will html tags if you’re familiar with those.

What you see as you type

When you’re writing a post you will have two boxes side by side. The left hand box is where you should write and you can apply formatting etc there. The right hand box will show how that output will look when you submit your post/topic.

You can of course do away with the right hand preview window if you want - just click the hide preview button on the bottom right (use show preview to switch back).

Basic Formatting

Bold & Italics etc
Those buttons at the top will allow you to quickly apply bold or italics or whatever if you don’t normally type tags etc.

The Long-hand way
But you might be the type of person who used to use:

[b]bold content[/b]

You can still do that, or you can use:

** bold content **

or even

__bold content__

Italics is similar. Use

[i]words in italics[/i]

or

* words in italics *

or

_words in italics_

Images
The easiest way to post an image is to copy and paste it to the post either from your computer or from somewhere else on the web. You can also use the upload button to insert an image (or any other allowed file type).

More Complicated Stuff

There are all sorts of more complicated things you can do with Markdown and HTML but they would take ages to list or explain here. But here’s a couple that are useful:

Spoilers:

Use the spoiler tags as normal.

[spoiler]This is hidden content[/spoiler]

This is hidden content

You can do it to images too:

To reveal the spoiler you can hover over it, to make it slightly more visible, or you can click it to make it properly visible.

Folding Spoilers:

This is a different type of spoiler, where you might want to hide a large paragraph of text or something:

<details><summary>Click Me Text</summary>This is all the text you want to hide, it could be really long.</details>
Click Me TextThis is all the text you want to hide, it could be really long.

Lists:

- This is the first item in a list
- This is the second
+ I could use a plus instead of a - if I wanted
* Or I can use a star.
  • This is the first item in a list
  • This is the second
  • I could use a plus instead of a - if I wanted
  • Or I can use a star.