TFKHDTJPPT 2020 - Preliminary Heat 12 - Fitzy v Gaillimhmick

A fella whose reputation was seriously burnished in his absence, notwithstanding him having a few good games on JJ. Highlights reel is sparse enough after that.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder in fairness. A few lads have serious reputations built on fleeting glimpses as opposed to big championship performances.

Sutcliffe ran riot in the first half against Clare in Ennis in 2012 roasting Nickey O’Connell was was sent off for two fouls on him before being utterly anonymous in the second half when Bugler went over on him and men were needed.

He is a fine skilful hurler who wouldn’t look out of place on any forward line but flakey enough in my opinion. A trait a lot of the Dublin forwards have unfortunately. Keaney was about the only relatively consistent one this decade.

1 Like

A big factor here is overexposure, the modern hurlers are seen weekly most of league and championship and every good score they get recorded, invisible performance overlooked, certainly by highlight reels. While greats from the 90s and early 00s didn’t get near as much attention with maybe one game a year showed and analysed. Your anecdote about bugler cancelling out the over rated sutcliffe further adds to my annoyance. You should have empanelled a few experts to pick rather than leave it to the great limerick unwashed.

Bugler got an all star in 2012 off the back of destroying Sutcliffe under puck outs and double fist pumping in that second half.

Im struggling to see how i lost here and am considering hiring joe brolly

Because for all that Bugler could give that type of performance he could let you down with the most brainless fuck acting when the mood took him. I never saw a lad pick the ball off the ground as much as him and don’t get me started on some of the sendings off he got down through the years for braindead stuff

True but he was the weakest link in my backline, and not a terrible one by any stretch. A better option there than jackie tyrell anyway. Sure i put cooney in there not realising it was from 95 on only read that after. I could have put eddie brennan in there and things would have been very different. Or not thanks to the limerick caucus

You are wiser for the experience. Play to the gallery next time

1 Like

Never.

Great competition though fair play. I look forward to sniping from the ditch.

1 Like

The Gerlock of TFK :brendan:

1 Like

:joy:

You could have admitted this on the other thread, you mad man.

A lot of criticism of @Fitzy’s full-forward line and, fair enough, Timmy Mac inside seems like a bit of a waste but @gaillimhmick’s half-forward line is weak enough too. A lot of pace alright but you could definitely see that team struggling to win primary possession. And I look at those backs and don’t see a short, running game being particularly effective either.

Having said that, Fitzy’s half-back line isn’t all that great either (although that full-back line against that full-forward line would be some battle). All over the pitch, the two teams’ strengths and weaknesses seem to match up- I like Fitzy’s half-forward line but Mick’s half-back line is also very strong. I think that will be enough to give him the platform for a narrow victory.

I was raging against ths dying of the light

Troy and Dillon swapped positions just before throw in, in acknowledgement of that very fact. It was the glaring weakness on the team listed and fair play for spotting it. Whelan has been drifting out on puckouts too and the changes have worked a treat.

Poll closing at 9 who will take the last spot

@gaillimhmick by 2 points

Three all time classics in the late slots @Fitzy @TheBlackSpot and @PhattPike can all leave with their heads held high

Fuck i was in the middle of writing my dramatic denouement to proceedings. I was giving @gaillimhmick the nod anyway, commiserations @Fitzy

I can see a sending-off on @Fitzy’s half-back line. A throwaway comment about the gaffers geraniums draws a wild swipe from O’Hanlon in the style of Andrew Shore
@gaillimhmick has heeded the baying hordes of Pale Connymen above in the stand just in time for Troy to revel in the new-found acreage vacated by MO’H. O’Donnell has dealt with the shock of adapting to a full-forward partner who will pass him the ball and rolls in trademark arms-in-the-air style out of JJ’s grasp to fire a blistering drop-shot winner past McGarry

Fin

“Look Marty, it’s never easy to come to Salthill looking for a result and I suppose it was a hard fought game and both sides gave it everything. No one left anything out on the pitch tonight and I suppose you can only ask your players to do their best and I certainly felt our boys showed 110% commitment tonight, despite some carping from a few individuals in the lasht week.”

What individuals are you referring to there?

“Look Marty, they know who they are, but some of the things said about some of the boys, some of the forwards, calling them out by name, has been very disappointing”.

You weren’t happy about the sending off?

“Ah now Marty, I didn’t see what happened and I have yet to talk to Matthew, but there seemed to be very little in it. I don’t know whether something was said or who said it, but I suppose it’s one of them things that happen. I suppose I shouldn’t say anything more as I seem to get in trouble everytime I open my mouth about referees”.

You led for a long time?
“We did Marty, but it was close throughout and we never really pulled away from them. I suppose we had to rejig things after the sending off and that probably allowed the Cowboys to start to get the upper hand in midfield and our half forward line weren’t as effective. Look, they’re a fantastic team the Cowboys, they play manly, hard hurling but they’re very skillful and a great unit. We wish them and @gaillimhmick the best in the nest round. They’ll be hard bet”.

Will you stay on another year?
“Ah look Marty, that’s up to the board and I wouldn’t second guess them. If they’ll have me I’ll certainly stay on, there’s a lot left in this side yet”.

Thanks Fitzy.

“Thanks Marty”

6 Likes

Gutted for @Fitzy

One of TFK’s good guys

1 Like

That’s brilliant @Fitzy. Sincere hard luck, it was seriously tight. You played hard and fair and have made a very dignified exit. Keep up the good work @Big_Dan_Campbell.
Next up hopefully another ding-dong Tipperay v Galway classic. Best of luck @caulifloweredneanderthal

2 Likes