The All England Lawn Tennis Club Championships 2018

Djokovic serves for the match.

What he has had to put up with today has been disgraceful.

The crowd.
Umpireā€™s poor calls and time violations.
And Edmund disgracefully claiming points he knows full well that he committed a foul on

Justice has been done.

Got to love Nole.

A warrior.

Djokovic and Nadal both have a couple of 6ft6 giraffes in R4 so it will be tough for them on grass.

1 Like

Odd comment.

Kyrgios complaining about a dead arm. Hard to know if its a real issue or just an excuse becuase he didnā€™t want to bother today.

That was a sickener of shot to win the second set on

Nishikori (5ft 10) has taken the first two sets against Kyrgios (6ft 4).

Kyrgios is such a waster. He has all the skills in the game to be winning slams but his attitude stinks.

A few guys on here were tipping him to win

They were, Boycott was spoofing about tennis again.

LONDON ā€“ Novak Djokovic shrugged off a bad call by the chair umpire that cost him a break in his Wimbledon win over home favorite Kyle Edmund on Saturday.

He was less forgiving when it came to the way he was treated by the crowd at the All England Club.

"There is a certain unwritten borderline where you feel that itā€™s a bit too much," Djokovic said about being booed at times by the partisan crowd on Centre Court. "I didnā€™t deserve to be treated the way I was treated by certain individuals."

Neither the crowd nor a big mistake by the umpire could unglue Djokovic, though, as the three-time champion won 4-6, 6-3, 6-2, 6-4 to reach the round of 16 for the 11th time at the All England Club.

He was robbed of a break at 3-3, 15-40 in the fourth set when the ball bounced twice before Edmund managed to return it over the net. Djokovic complained to the chair umpire but the call stood ā€“ even though TV replays also showed Edmundā€™s shot had actually landed wide.

Edmund ended up holding serve but Djokovic broke at his next opportunity to make sure there will be no British players in the second week of the tournament.

"I was 100 percent convinced it [bounced] twice," Djokovic said.

"Anybody can make a mistake. Thatā€™s OK. But I donā€™t understand why he [the umpire] didnā€™t allow me to challenge the call. I asked him. ā€¦ So, yes, it was quite a strange decision from [the] chair umpire, but it happens."

That wasnā€™t the only point of contention in the match. Djokovic got into a bit of a two-sided argument with the crowd after he was booed following a time violation in the third set. He responded by blowing kisses into the stands.

"I thought the crowdā€™s reaction after that [time violation] was quite unnecessary. A couple [of] guys really, you know, pretending they were coughing and whistling while I was bouncing the ball more or less to the end of the match at that end where I received the time violation.

"Those are the things obviously that people donā€™t get to see or hear on the TV. I just think itā€™s not necessary. Thatā€™s what I didnā€™t like. ā€¦ My interaction with the crowd, I thought had good things and not great things. I just reacted the way I thought was fair, the way they reacted to me."

Edmund, the last British player remaining in the tournament, said he didnā€™t notice anything disrespectful from the crowd, but acknowledged it was a Davis Cup-like atmosphere.

"It was a great atmosphere to be in," Edmund said. "When youā€™re at Centre Court, to have the crowd behind you is a great thing."

He also insisted he was unsure whether the ball actually bounced twice on the disputed call in the fourth set.

"If in real life itā€™s hard to tell, then itā€™s hard to tell for me when Iā€™m scrambling," he said. "We need the umpire to get off his chair and go to the TV monitor on the side."

It was the third time Djokovic faced a British player at Wimbledon, losing to Andy Murray in the 2013 final and beating James Ward in 2016. But this was the first time he got a reaction like this from the crowd.

"The crowd was very fair when I played against Andy. Obviously they support their player," he said. "But today there was just some people, especially behind that end where I got the time violation, they kept on going, they kept on going, provoking. Thatā€™s something that I can tolerate for a little bit, but Iā€™m going to show that Iā€™m present as well, that they canā€™t do whatever they feel like doing."

Comes across very badly for the Wimbledon crowd and Edmund. Edmund claiming he didnā€™t know the ball had bounced twice when it clearly did, he also threw his racket at it and the ball went out so there were three grounds that the point shouldnā€™t have stood and he did not do the honest thing. Very unsporting by the South African.

Itā€™s clear that Wimbledon has its favourite sons and everything will be twisted for them.

1 Like

Poor old Novak seems to be unpopular everywhere he goes. Heā€™s forever getting booed by the crowds at Roland Garros. Surprised a clay court enthusiast like yourself hasnā€™t flagged that before.

Here he is getting booed at Roland Garros against Wawrinka in 2015.

Here is he getting booed at Roland Garros against Berdych in 2016.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tennis/world-no1-novak-djokovic-narrowly-misses-hitting-linesman-with-racquet/news-story/0d3d789a46fcb4ddbad1ae1269df1610

Here he is getting booed at Roland Garros against Schwartzman in 2017.

His treatment by the Wimbledon fans was disgraceful.

You can see in Paris he openly apologised to the crowd but he was quite rightly very angry with the poor behaviour of the crowd yesterday.

Nothing to say on South Africaā€™s Kyle Edmund and his dishonesty yesterday?

1 Like

Djokvoic is always at war with the world. Heā€™s always got a gripe or whinge. He gets booed by crowds everywhere he goes for his surly prickly demeanour, put particularly at Roland Garros where the French crowds really donā€™t like him. He doesnā€™t get on with his fellow players, has a particularly bad relationship with both Federer and Nadal. He canā€™t seem to hold on to a coach for any length of time and falls out with them all, be it Becker, Agassi or whoever.

You think the conduct of the Wimbledon crowd was acceptable yesterday?

The dishonesty of South Africaā€™s Kyle Edmund was acceptable?

Djokovic has every right to feel aggrieved in this instance.

I am unaware of any bad feeling between Nadal and Djokovic either. Nadal has said that Djokovic is the toughest opponent heā€™s ever had:

https://www.sportswallah.com/tennis/news/novak-djokovic-not-roger-federer-the-toughest-opponent-ive-faced-rafael-nadal

Thereā€™s definitely a good argument that Djokovic is the greatest tennis player of all time.

Iā€™m delighted he is doing this rather than his cringe worthy attempts to be popular.

Yesterday was the day that Wimbledon jumped the shark

Football crowds at tennis matches

1 Like

This was the slippery slope we all feared in relaxing the admission policy on the middle Saturday and letting the great unwashed in - ā€˜Peopleā€™s Saturdayā€™. Thereā€™s not much you can criticize the organizing Championship committee about but this should be looked at. This sort of booing is commonplace at Roland Garros and is accepted there but not at the Championship.

1 Like

It was widely accepted yesterday, youā€™re telling more lies.

Iā€™m over in London tomorrow. Is it easy enough get tickets for the outer courts if I chance swinging by SW19?