The Angelus

There are a few pubs that always switch over to it though.

Mulligans of Poolbeg Street and the Two Sisters in Templeogue are ones that spring to mind.

A fella in Portlaoise went mental into the religion once, born again shite. He used to have all this iconography up around the pub, playing the angelus, etc. Odd fella, think he did a runner in the end.

Be more of a Church of Ireland kind of place.

Each to his own though.

Just watching it there, focussing on that lad that does drawing on the pavement on the bottom of Grafton St. It has become a very odd minute of television. I think it’s fairly clear that a State owned broadcaster continuing to observe the call to prayer of the majority Church is a bit of an anomaly in this day and age. I’m not a huge fan of Mass being broadcast every Sunday morning either, though I think they balance this out with one of those heretical Sunday services every now and then.

On a related note, pubs having to close on Good Friday is something that seriously annoys me. Why the fuck should it be illegal to open your business on this day just because it’s a Church holiday? The absolute worst thing about it is that pubs have to close at midnight on Holy Thursday. This is a law that badly needs repealing.

Luckily there wasn’t much prayer in our house growing up. The picture of the Sacred Heart is still up in the living room though. That one always freaked me out a bit.

It really is. I think because so many people have little or no interest in the whole circus of religion what tends to go unnoticed is just how endemic it is. There are schools in this country, completely funded by public money, where you cannot teach if you are not a member of the catholic religion. It is an embarrassment in this day and age.

Majority of TFK members don’t feel the same would you believe!!

http://www.thefreekick.com/board/index.php?showtopic=2608&st=

The Angelus for me is more about a minute of reflection as opposed to a religious thing. When listening to an eternity of talk about recession, war, crime etc. on Drivetime it’s nice to have one minute to forget about it all and instead just listen to the drone of bells.

BBC Radio two have a slot called pause for thought, or something to that effect, but it involves somebody talking (ie. thinking for you). Maybe it’s time for RTE to introduce a pause for thought in place of the Angelus, where they play relaxing music for a minute, extracts from the likes of Brian Eno would be perfect for it.

Speaking of bells.

If only the Angelus sounded like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRZLxxR23K4

That does surprise me. Two quick points having read that thread:

1. I agree with you that “sure it’s only one day” is a seriously retarded argument. I’m not saying I need to get bolloxed or I should get bolloxed, just that the right to get bolloxed shouldn’t be stripped from me for one day by the State for religious reasons.
  2. I think idiots like the idea that they’re drinking when they’re not allowed to drink. They willingly let this be imposed on them just so they can rebel against it. Sometimes words can’t describe how stupid people can be.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Very disappointing this evening as I flicked the TV over to RTE just before 6 p.m. having promised my 94 year old mother that “The Angelus will be on in a minute”.
Instead there was some oul wishy washy Christmassy scenes shite with Enya type music accompanying.
I might pen a strongly worded email to RTE but probably won’t.