The bored thread

Jesus I forgot about that. By virtue of Wexford drawing Kilkenny. Beat Laois and a poor Dublin team to get there iirc.

1 Like

Hawthorn 1991
Chicago Bulls 1998
Dallas Cowboys 1996
Golden State Warriors 2022

Meath 2001 in football is the equivalent.

1 Like

Brazil 1970

Oulart 2016.

2 Likes

I think winning should be a prerequisite here which eliminates Meath 2001 and Offaly 2000.

Thats a classic.

Trying to win Leinster for years then fall off the map almost in the aftermath.

1 Like

Very true. The fall off thereafter was surprising. It was as if Sean Boylan was left behind with modernised football overnight. I’d still have been interested to see what he’d have done with them if he’d been given another term in 2005. He reckoned the likes of Stephen Bray, Big Joe Sheridan and Co had great potential at that stage.

Champions League final 2006 was the end of that great Arsenal team of the late 90’s/early 00’s.

Galway footballers did very little after the 2001 success despite having a relatively young age profile at the time. The quarter-final defeat to Kerry in 2002 spelled the end of a great few years for them.

Duffry Rovers 1994. Won about 8 football championships between 86-94.

1 Like

I think Sean was done. Meath as a county were like Nokia moving into the age of smartphones.

They won the Premier Minor this year with a fine team. Badly needed with them languishing in Intermediate A.

Cork losing to Kilkenny in 2006 finished that Cork team prematurely but the criteria has to be a winning conclusion it seems.

2 Likes

Birr 2003

3 Likes

Athenry 2001 could be another but I suppose they won a Galway senior hurling thereafter.

Adare 2009 to win 3 senior hurling titles in a row and none since.

I think Dr Crokes 2017 All Ireland Club win would have been the ULTIMATE prototype if they didnt make the Final again two years later.

1 Like

Portumna 2014… Fuck me that ended very early when ya think of it.

Gave us some run of it in the Int. semi final 2021. Chesney had some game.

1 Like

Tipperary 2019 Sheedy returns to win the flukiest AI ever and remains a classic of the genre “be careful for what you wish for”

1 Like

Ah here now, the lad said continued success.

Any chance to share this beauty. Hilarious for a Kilkenny video.

2 Likes

Clare competing the 3x in a row Under 21’s in 2014 had a real “end of process” feel under Ducky and Stu.

Williams F1 1997. Won both drivers & constructors titles despite the uninspired pairing of Villeneuve & Frentzen at the wheel, partly thanks to Schumacher’s moment of madness in the final race. Lost Renault, Adrian Newey, Damon Hill and Rothmans over the course of 18 months and haven’t really done a thing of note since, despite having dominated the sport* in the early 90s.

*Not a sport