The Celebrity Spotting Thread Part Twee (or help Flatty identify the celeb he just spotted) (Part 1)

Don’t know what the fuck happened there.

1 Like

If they are not celebrities then why are you posting them here?

Do you just want someone to ask what you were talking to John O’Mahony about?

6 Likes

Are you naive enough to think he had any other reason for posting them?

1 Like

Hang on - how has this just been turned back on me?

Hello farmer, welcome to TFK

3 Likes

Yes, and I’ll take that as such a question.

I made a similar point to John to the one @GeoffreyBoycott made that the situation surrounding this year’s Galway v Mayo clash was reminiscent of the situation surrounding the 1998 one, with Galway a team on the up and Mayo a team on the way down.

John politely disagreed. He really does talk like a politician but he seems like a nice man.

Aren’t you the lad who has spent the last ten years telling us all about how you’re good friends with Ivan Yates and several racehorses?

1 Like

Or to let us know he was out of the house for a while…

2 Likes

I don’t believe I ever claimed to be friends with any racehorses

Not unlike my Ken spot in fact.

Mayo beat Galway in Connacht in 1999.

In an absolute cracker of a match.

Ben Woodburn wasn’t born at the time.

They did, but that was a dying kick for that particular team, and was mainly due to that great 1990s cliche, hunger - Galway didn’t score in the last half an hour of that match and didn’t look particularly disappointed to lose. In truth the real window of opportunity for an All-Ireland had passed that Mayo team by by 1999 and they were put away quite comfortably by a very average Cork team in the semi-final.

Did John explain why he didn’t agree? This current Galway team are no where near good enough to win an All-Ireland but they are on the way up.

1 Like

I’m glad that Sidney was able to save up a few bob and have a few pints in a pub with normal people as opposed to drinking cans of Tuborg at home alone.

2 Likes

:confused:

Yours never happened

Did too

I think that was his point. John doesn’t believe that Galway are currently good enough to win an All-Ireland, particularly in terms of physicality and stamina, and felt they faded badly late on, particularly given that they had an extra player for the majority of the match, whereas the 1998 team proved to be at All-Ireland-winning level.

Personally I disagree with him and feel that while they probably won’t win it this year, they are now at a level where things are beginning to fall rapidly into place for them and they will not be too far away. An All-Ireland final is a realistic possibility for them for sure and if you get to a final you’re in with a chance. Dublin look to have slipped a bit and there’s a possibility that a team could win an All-Ireland this year without having to beat them.

Even defensively, I thought they put in a very good backs to the wall performance when it was needed late on. There is bags of football ability throughout their team in all lines and they’re building a good panel. They’ve notched up some really good wins over the last year and while they tanked against Tipperary in the quarter-final last year, I think that will prove to be a valuable lesson for them going forward. They are definitely around the level Mayo were at circa 2011, possibly 2012.

4 Likes

They looked to have a few really good u21s this year. Is Daly the only one playing senior?

He was the only one who played on Sunday anyway. I don’t follow Galway football closely enough to know if any of the others are on the senior panel.

Askeaton man McDaid as well

1 Like