The Celtic Phoenix - A thread to list the economic miracles of Michael Noonan & Fine Gael

Deary me, you donā€™t even know what the EU Commission case is about.

Absolutely nothing to do with legislation.

Maybe read up on it a bit before you come back to me.

Labane says itā€™s a contributory factor but not the only one.

Corporate tax legislation introduced in Ireland which enabled Apple to evade/avoid tax was deemed anti competitive.

My God.

You literally have no idea.

Read up on it.

The point is about ā€œunfair state aidā€. It is about the specific deal negotiated by Apple.

Do you even know what legislation is?

Typical Tim.

12.5% is not that low, the UK is 19% and much of Eastern Europe is 10% or less.

So there we have it, you donā€™t.

1 Like

I agree. 12.5 is the deal clincher though. Itā€™s a reasonable rate. They should hsve no problem paying it. Itā€™s in their interest to minimise their tax bill and thatā€™s fair enough. My problem is with government who bend over backwards for them while fleecing local ones.

Most left wingers and people like Mike have zero idea about how companies work and how economies adapt and survive.

They see a slice of cake and demand half of it, without a care on where the next one is coming from. See Venezuala of recent times.

2 Likes

I get it Tim. Itā€™s all over the internet.

How do they fleece local ones?

How many multinationals appear regularly on Revenueā€™s list of non compliance with rules?

Tell us again what legislation is there Mike.

No just the stated 12.5 Tim. Stop exaggerating.

Wrong though as you simply do not get this.

13bn equates to over 100bn of profits in Ireland. Apple did not generate 100bn of profits in Ireland. Apple generated them all over the world, with the locations responsible for that being mostly marketing houses in New York and innovators in Silicon Valley. The stuff done in Cork and locally is tiny to the value created.

What Apple did was put this money through Ireland and then offshore from the US. That money was always taxable in the US. They have now repatriated much of that money to the US where it has been taxed, as it should have been done.

You are demanding double taxation or for the US to miss out on that tax because you want a big old slice of cake, because you are a bit thick and have no idea where it came from.

Apple are not angels in this and nor are Ireland. Ireland and the other EU countries were aware of this and should have been fined imo on a principles basis, but at the same time the US consistently did nothing to reform their tax code. The businesses and people screwed were in the US, not Ireland. Apple got away with earning interest on that cash and issuing treasury bonds. Thatā€™s a global, multi national issue. Apple have ultimately paid far in excess of 12.5% on global profits, however.

Ireland have since removed the ability to do the double Irish and are fully engaged with the BEPS and the OECD (and guess what the companies are still here).

But that does not mean Ireland should be thieving money and certainly not on the reasons given by the Commission. An idological commissioner who simply wants to take profits on US innovation and remit them to Europe, because Europe (and France in particular) has missed much of the boat on tech innovation.

2 Likes

Why are ireland desperately fighting the corporate consolidated tax base?

Exactly. The Apple decision was EU first shot in a tax war with the US.

Because it is being done at an OECD level, as agreed. The EU do not have a competency in this area but consistently a number of ideologues have tried to usurp this (with recent cases thrown out of court). Remember the US were absolutely against the Apple case, why do you think that is?

Here is Irelandā€™s interaction at the OECD level.

Corporation Tax (and whatever future it has) should be done on a global basis, not an EU one.

Ireland should not bow to EU and a couple of nations trying to strong arm us in their battle against the US. The French are the biggest hypocrites of them all with their rampant State Aid and low effective CT rate.

The above are the precise reasons why one could argue that the U.K. were right to leave the EU.

EU are saying that if they report the profits as being earned in Ireland then they should pay tax on it in Ireland. Seems fair enough. Apple tried to minimise tax liability facilitated by the Irish state. Irish law says itā€™s avoidance, EU law says evasion. EU law trumps Irish. Bit rich of them them calling foul now.

No it doesnā€™t you eejit. Please read up on the case before shitting up this thread more.

Riggins has been seething all afternoon here :joy: