The Celtic Phoenix - A thread to list the economic miracles of Michael Noonan & Fine Gael

The FG boys get real uppity if there is any criticism of the government. Like snowflakes they are easily triggered.:grin:

Tim cleaning house and has the usual suspects hopping.

5 Likes

Good to see its a real strong view you have

Tim has been selecting whatever bits of figures he can ,as well as cut and pasting from the examiner in his desperation to try and convince himself that ireland isnt a tax haven for multinationals, when everyone knows deep down that its true really.
Its a win win, good for the mnc’s , and great for Ireland, but we are simply facilitating a race to the bottom, a bottom in which mnc’s pay little or no tax, or, are even “encouraged” to set up here. Its the sort of facilitation, being a major lever for them as they play peter off against paul, which has given them their level of suprastate-like power. If a MNC clicks its fingers, successive irish govts have pulled their pants down further and quicker than anyone in the vicinity.
The financial benefit to ireland is absolutely unarguable. The fairness of it is an entirely different thing, which is where opinions differ in this thread. Tim thinks its great, is happy we facilitate it, happy with opaque schemes like “knowledge box” facilitating tax avoidance, and is entirely blithe to the fact that we would still happily be allowing the double Irish if we could, despite knowing that such schemes are depriving others of rightful tax revenue, and generally, if one believes that paying fair tax is a necessary feature of a stable society, knowing that it is morally wrong.
Now someone will jump in next saying that the employees pay plenty of tax. That they do, but it isnt the point being argued. Tim threw up percentages of tax take, a spurious red herring. I find it an unpleasant reflection of ireland and of ourselves in general, that we hop from leg to leg, tugging the forelock desperately ingratiating ourselves with the yanks, the europeans, and whoever else we see as our betters (witness the farce when trump flew in to look at his new golf course), whilst reaching around for their wallet, like a cross betwen thady o toole and the artful dodger.
I personally think we have enough about us to stand up straight and be honest with the world.

5 Likes

Of course the thread was bumped with a report that FFG are creating more poverty — more children in poverty means we all pay in the long run… but yeah, corporations pay 2-3% tax so all is good.

He’s not taking this well at all. Tis like the time they gave “dolers” a fiver increase in the budget.

Thanks for that little homily, Bishop Didsbury. Lovely to be able to moralise from the high ground of a foreign country. Unfortunately the reality on the ground here is a lot more nuanced than you might imagine.

9 Likes

Ooofffttt. That’s a headshot.

:grinning:

Meow.

1 Like

Meeeooww.
As a shareholder in an irish registered company, registered for, and paying tax in Ireland, I’ll take your little hissy fit in the spirit it was intended :joy:

:popcorn:

Every country competes for business to set up. Ireland has been successful. Part of that has been tax but not all of it. Look at the battle for Amazon HQ in America where States have fallen over each other to offer subsidies.

Post Brexit, one advantage the UK may have is they won’t be subject to EU State Aid so expect lots of plays there.

1 Like

Noone will want to set up a business in the UK, other than to fleece the locals. Why would they?

Great stuff, you’ve got your confidence back and have put a post together more than a couple of lines and smileys long.

This is what I argued:

The Shinnerbot our up that it was a “Disgrace” that AIB weren’t paying tax

As above, it isn’t and if people understood basic finance this stupidity wouldn’t be spread across national newspapers. No surprise that Pearse Doherty was to the fore.

People saying that multinationals don’t pay their fair share

People have posted reports claiming Ireland was a tax haven and pay a disproportionate amount of tax in Ireland.

How exactly does that tie to them not paying enough tax in Ireland.

The facts are (they aren’t a red herring and not selective) that of our government income they pay far in excess of a percentage than our OECD peers.

Lads posting stuff they don’t understand.

Your line- that we are a tax haven

I said the Double Irish was wrong, but it isn’t a tax haven. It was using multiple loopholes around Europe and the US not having their ass in gear by Multinationals. The money was stored overseas pending repatriation to the US.

I posted earlier my issue with Apple in doing that but the facts are they have just paid 38bh on their 250bn cash pile overseas to the US. That is in addition to taxes already paid (like in Ireland and the US).

You choose to ignore the facts on effective tax rates from country to country laughing it off as “PWC” and a new report.

Did you read the report?

https://www.pwc.com/gx/en/paying-taxes/pdf/pwc_paying_taxes_2018_full_report.pdf#page=77

You don’t seem to have any actual knowledge of this topic and are throwing out the same old glib and stupid lines that other ignorant people say about Ireland.

1 Like

That maybe an advantage but they will be outside the EU which will not be so attractive to companies looking for a base within the EU.

Sigh, misleading stat again.

What?
In any case, you know perfectly well you were strawmanning, and using selective figures to back up your strawman counter argument
You know perfectly well what you were at.
Confidence ? You have an odd view of the Internet.
I was awake and bored in truth.

Sigh indeed.

Read above on AIB.

Please tell me how it is a straw man when people say multinationals don’t pay enough tax in Ireland to show that by international comparisons they pay more?

I have no interest in reading about AIB bud.