The Electric Vehicle Thread

You’d fit a nice few calves in the back of that

2 in Sutton

So eventually, when these cars become more popular the public charge points can only really be a back up option.

The existing number of charging points is minimal and wouldn’t cope with much demand. Home charging will be the future until solar powered cars come into play.

As range increases there will be no need for them

2 Likes

The tfk luddites called this one badly wrong

4 Likes

The only problem with all this is how to generate all the extra electricity needed. Oil, gas, wind, nuclear? Think France are well covered with nuclear.

And the North Koreans are making great progress

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:rollseyes:

https://youtu.be/SeJmmQ5y9eQ

Even if they generated all the electricity by burning it in a big petrol power plant it’d be more environmentally friendly. Better monitoring, more efficient, less waste etc.

I’m sure by 2040 at the rate of improvements of solar panels, batteries etc. we will be a long way along the road. Always the chance that wave energy, fission, hydrogen etc are perfected in the meantime as well. Or something else completely comes along.

1 Like

A neighbour in my estate[same house type] paid €4000 to upgrade solar panel system to generate all the electricity needs of his home. The ones that came with my house are basic enough and generate around €150 a year.

I’d upgrade if I had the cashflow. In time, a huge amount of electricity will be generated individually. I think by the end of this decade the panels will be better again and you’ll have more widespread home energy storage that you’ll have more than enough to power your house and car. The technology is advancing rapidly. By 2040 the robots will have killed us all.

If the Gaelic football thread doesn’t first

2 Likes

In the UK they had a subsidy scheme for solar panels and companies offered free solar panels in return for the excess and the rebate. Basically free electricity in return for giving up your roof. Subsidies have been cut since so it’s tapered off but in a few more years efficiency improvements will make that model work without subsidy. Musk’s solar crowd do the same in the US but obviously their climate is more favourable

Pal of mine in Cali had panels installed. Drives a tesla so panels power that. He sells the extra power back into the grid. He leases the equipment and it gets replaced with whatever is out in ten years.

Jesus.

The problem is when to upgrade because the technology is advancing so rapdily, you don’t want to get caught with something obsolete. That’s why the lease option @TheUlteriorMotive describes below is so attractive. It’s also why I bought my ev on a pcp so I wouldn’t get stuck with an obsolete car.

1 Like

[quote="Nembo_Kid, post:137,

Jesus.
[/quote]

Don’t think he posts here pal. One of the few above your intellectual level I’d say

I would consider him a peer.