The Electric Vehicle Thread

Your standards are dropping so

Ah would you stop. How the fuck would it generate all the electricity in his house. These yokes can hardy heat water to 60 degrees, how would they power an oven to 500?

Not sure if serious

An obsolete mule

Apologies, it was ā‚¬6000 before VAT not ā‚¬4000. I believe you also get a grant off the VAT amount. So ā‚¬6000 paid for ā‚¬6800 value. He reckons theyā€™ll have generated enough energy to justify the investment in 5/6 years.

He generated 80KWH in a week just after he installed them and I would assume that heā€™s running a much more energy efficient house than me. Iā€™ll estimate 20% more efficient. Could be more. So my last bill was for 995 KWH for 2 months. Less 20% would be ~800KWH. 80KWH * 9 weeks in 720KWH. So itā€™s close enough.

That would work out to be a 2 month electricity bill of 80KWH which would be ā‚¬15-ā‚¬20.

I wonder does Buff mean absolute mule?

How does it power the house? Usually solar panels are linked to an element in the boiler and just heats the water up to say 60C, then an immersion tops it up. Is this connected to a battery array that the power sockets are run off?

PV Solar panels are different to the ones for heating water. PV Solar panels can be connected up to your electricity supply and help power your house.

You are comparing the panels for heating water with a full on solar power system. A different shark altogether.

The UK is getting rid of all petrol and diesel cars by 2040 cc @Fagan_ODowd @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy

1 Like

Jesus christ

Weā€™ve had solar hot water for a few years now and it has led to a serious reduction in electricity bills.
2 months ago we installed a solar array on the roof of 8 panels. Itā€™s the middle of winter here (or what we laughingly refer to as winter) so daylight hours are shorter obviously. But yesterday as an example, a three person house, we consumed 11.528kwh. We generated 9.532Kwh from the solar panels (excluding the hot water).
Generation during the day (obviously) so during that period of solar production, we produced 9.532kwh, consumed 3.873kwh and exported (or sold to the grid) 5.659kwh. We bought from the grid (during off peak when solar production wasnā€™t happening) 7.655kwh. Thatā€™s one day as an example (we have an app that tracks all the production and consumption in real time). So basically, during winter, we have reduced our reliance on grid electricity by about 70%. From spring onwards, Iā€™d expect us to be a net exporter of energy to the grid. Subsidies have been severely reduced here, so the amount weā€™re getting from the grid is negligible (about 6cents / kilowatt hour), but the reduction in power bills will be enormous. The whole array will have paid for itself in 5 years (we have it financed through the energy company for 7 years). And weā€™re generating renewable energy.
We havenā€™t looked at a battery yet, but will in a couple of years time when itā€™s clearer whatā€™s available and what the prices will be. Apart from the financial and environmental benefits, this would be insurance against the inevitable power outages that will result from the complete clusterfuck that is energy policy in Australia.
Also, last year, we had 9 power outages resulting from storms / trees falling on power lines etc. No power for three days in one case, fucking joke. The grid is dying and the whole bollocks baseload electricity argument with it. More and more companies here are investing in their own energy sources. Telstra, which consumes 1% of Australiaā€™s electricity output, recently invested $100 million in a solar plant to hedge against rising power costs.

3 Likes

Cheers mate.

Thatā€™s nothing. Theyā€™re getting rid of all foreigners in the next 2 years.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s what they think.

Guys. How far are we from a viable electric vehicle solution for those that donā€™t have off street parking? From my research to date, in the absence of being able to plug in at home, Iā€™d need a charging point in work at a minimum. Hardly ideal though. Can you lobby ESB to install a charger on your road?

Concerned about buying another ICE.

There are loads of them around the place mate

Im aiming to have 50% of TFKers using EVs by 01/01/20 exactly 5 years before the demise of farming

5 Likes

You need to keep the current crop of users on board though to stop this becoming a monorail. I know of someone whose charging cable was nicked at a Northside dart station lately.

:eek: