The GAA thread - part deux

International Rules Squad:

IRELAND INTERNATIONAL RULES PANEL (Toulouse training weekend):

Aidan O’Mahony, Marc S, Paul Galvin, Kieran Donaghy, Brendan Guiney (Kerry), Tadhg Kennelly (Sydney Swans & Kerry), Kevin Reilly, Anthony Moyles, Graham Geraghty, Joe Sheridan, Charles McCarthy (Meath), Alan Quirke, Ger Spillane, Nicholas Murphy, Donncha O’Connor (Cork), Kieran McGeeney, Ronan Clarke, Steven McDonnell (Armagh), Darren Rooney, Tom Kelly (Laois), Colm Begley (Brisbane Lions & Laois), Sean Martin Lockhart, Paddy Bradley (Derry), Shane Ryan, Alan Brogan (Dublin), Kieran Fitzgerald, Joe Bergin (Galway), Sean Cavanagh, Stephen O’Neill (Tyrone), Brendan Coulter, Michael Walsh (Down), Alan Dillon, Ger Brady (Mayo), Paul Barden (Longford), Dermot Early (Kildare), Johnny McCarthy (Limerick), Karl Lacey (Donegal), Karl Slattery (Offaly), Dessie Dolan (Westmeath).

Bandage won’t be happy, not at all.

How Mattie Forde is not worthy of a spot in that line up even given his suspension is incredible. Boylan is a very loyal man by all accounts…surely he’s taking the piss here? A couple of those Meath fellas wouldn’t even be considered good inter county players.

Fucking Charles MacCarthy is an appalling footballer. Didn’t his old man bankroll the Meath team for years though under Boylan?

Alledgedly. Love that word, covers me incase I’m wrong. There was alot of discontent in Meath over his constant selection under Boylan. Don’t think he made much of an impact under Barry but open to correction.

I take it you didn’t get a ticket for the match either Rock? Coincidence that Cesc could secure exactly 3 tickets for himself, sam and bandage? I think not.

Strange to see tickets coming in lots of three but those 3 boys are inseparable sometimes.

Read today that there’s been no Meath rep on the squad for 3 years, and now suddenly there’s 5. Thats ridiculous, as Meath certainly haven’t made massive leaps up the ladder, down if anything - losing to lowly Wexford this year. I see Ciaran McManus has been left off, which is pure madness. It suits his marauding every position/no position style down to the ground. Boylan has some explaining to do!

Its only a Mickey Mouse series anyway, its neither Ozzie Rules or Gaelic. A great excuse to give the lads 3 weeks in Oz every second year I suppose.

Every fourth year now though isn’t it.

I think that’s a pretty strong squad overall but obviously overloaded with Meath players. Think the strong running players he’s picked like Paul Barden and Ger Brady will be suited to the format. There’s the 2 Aussie lads and there’s a bit of steel with the Armagh players and the likes of Lockhart and Galvin. It’ll be interesting to see how Donaghy goes and whether they target him. It goes without saying that Forde should be in the squad but it’s not important enough to really get worked up about.

So we have a new hurling manager and it hardly sets the pulses racing. Was reading that Willie (or was it Eddie) O’Connor was interviewed and was heavily linked. Also Pat Herbert the ex-Limerick player who’s coaching Toomevara these days was rumoured to be interested but they couldn’t arrange an appropriate time to interview him given his club commitments! Kind of ridiculous really, they don’t appear to have cast their net very far. 2 interviews? Can’t be arsed arranging a 3rd? Not the marquee name we hoped for ala English, O’Grady or the likes. We’ll just have to wait and see. I’d love to know what the players’ initial impression is…

From RTE:

Meyler confirmed as new Wexford manager

Wexford county board have confirmed John Meyler as their new senior hurling manager.

Meyler had been tipped to take the post earlier this week and now he has received the full backing of the County Board.

The former Wexford and Cork hurler won an All-Ireland medal with the Rebel County in 1986, while during his playing days he assisted his native Our Lady’s Island and St. Finbarr’s in Cork.

Having also enjoyed a spell with Cork as a selector this will be his second county management appointment for he also enjoyed two years in charge of Kerry senior hurlers.

Meyler who will be in attendance at next Sunday’s county senior hurling final will name his backroom team over the coming weeks.

Former inter-county star of the 1970’s, John Murphy who was part of Seamus Murphy’s backroom team for the past two years has also been confirmed as Wexford Under-21 hurling Manager.

He will be joined by Ben Bernie (Ferns) and Brendan O’Connor (Oulart-the-Ballagh) as selectors.

Did he play for both Wexford and Cork? Not much of a cv at first glance is it?

hahahahahahahahahahahaha “enjoyed” hahahahahahahahahaha

How could anyone “enjoy” being in charge of the Kerry Senior hurlers?

Wexford hurling is fooked

Wexford hurling is fooked as is so the only was is up and it appears Meyler is certainly a good deal better than his predecessor even at this early stage. Not alot is known about him, he catained St Finbarr’s to an All Ireland, and subbed with Cork in 86 I think when the won an All Ireland. BTW, his selectors have not been announced yet so thats a mistake in the statement.

It would be interesting to hear a players opinion, do you know any Bandage?

Its not true to say that they couldn’t arrange an interview with Herbert, word is that he wanted to stay involved with Toomevara and therefore it appeared he couldn’t give a fook about the Wexford job. English was never a runner as he is still involved with Babs in Tipp, and why would O’Grady take the Wexford job when the Cork post is available? If he was interested in a comeback.

In any event, the commit-eeeee selected to pick the manager wouldn’t exactly inspire confidence and for me wouldn’t be the sort of guys that would exhaust all alternatives before coming up with a solution. For me it looks like case of he’s from Wexford and appears half decent so he’ll do. Hopefully he’ll be a great one. He has some serious repairing to do first though after the last 2 years of messing. Probably the worst prepared McCarthy cup team in the last 2 years.

Mickey Moran has resigned now anyway.

Vodafone GAA All Star hurling nominees:

Goalkeepers: Donal Og Cusack (Cork), Davy Fitzgerald (Clare), James McGarry (Kilkenny)

Full Backs: Brian Murphy (Cork), Diarmuid O’Sullivan (Cork), JJ Delaney (Kilkenny), Noel Hickey (Kilkenny), Eoin Murphy (Waterford), Tom Feeney (Waterford), Paul Curran (Tipperary), Frank Lohan (Clare), Damien Reale (Limerick)

Half Backs: Tommy Walsh (Kilkenny), James Ryall (Kilkenny), John Tennyson (Kilkenny), Ken McGrath (Waterford), Tony Browne (Waterford), Ronan Curran (Cork), John Gardiner (Cork), Eamon Corcoran (Tipperary), Sean McMahon (Clare)

Midfield: Jerry O’Connor (Cork), Tom Kenny (Cork), Derek Lyng (Kilkenny), James Fitzpatrick (Kilkenny), Shane McGrath (Tipperary), Dave Bennett (Waterford)

Half Forwards: Eddie Brennan (Kilkenny), Henry Shefflin (Kilkenny), Eoin Larkin (Kilkenny), Dan Shanahan (Waterford), Michael Walsh (Waterford), Niall McCarthy (Cork), Ben O’Connor (Cork), Tony Carmody (Clare), James Young (Laois)

Full Forwards: Joe Deane (Cork), Brian Corcoran (Cork), Martin Comerford (Kilkenny), Aidan Fogarty (Kilkenny), Tony Griffin (Clare), Eoin Kelly (Tipperary) Damien Hayes (Galway), John Mullane (Waterford), Joe Bergin (Offaly)

Kilkenny (13), Cork (11), Waterford (8), Clare (5), Tipperary (4), Laois (1), Galway (1), Offaly (1), Limerick (1)

Thought Wexford would at least get a token one, Keith Rossiter perhaps being the most deserving of one. Can’t really think of any major omissions - the Waterford keeper should have been in there and I don’t see O hAilpin either but Sean Og has had better years I suppose.

Hard to disagree with that selection. Wexford didn’t deserve any this year, appalling year all round.

Bergin is probably in on his league form coz I don’t recall much from in the cship. Would Brian Carroll not be more deserving? Splitting hairs really I suppose because neither would get an award.

James Young must wonder what he did in a past life to get born in a disasterous period for Laois hurling. An outstanding player.

The footie ones were gash, how did Gooch get in? And should the quality of opposition not be taken into account when the Dubs were getting so many?

I plan on going to this to try get a tfk interview with some of these legends and invite Liam Dunne to be one of our guests at the official launch of the site! I think it’ll be a cracking evening as I am always in awe when Griffin speaks, the inspirational fook. The guy Moses Morrissey makes a few dodgy points though - as one guy on An Fear Rua said, ‘what the fook has Anne Doyle reading the news and Gerry Fleming talking about the weather on RTE got to do with Wexford arresting their decline in hurling?’

They say night is darkest just before the dawn, and for Wexford GAA supporters the past year has been a black one. With the county’s hurlers suffering crushing defeats to Kilkenny and Clare at senior and crashing out famously to Carlow at minor level. While in football the minors were beaten by Kilkenny and the Under -21’s trashed by Westmeath.

Yes, only 10 years on from that celebrated win in 1996, during hurling’s “Revolution Years,” and Wexford’s stock looks to be at an all time low!

There are however rays of hope, and a number of Wexford supporters based in the Capital, have come together to organise a unique event, determined to be part of the counties rehabilitation to the big time.

Encouragingly over the summer Wexford hurling teams won the All Ireland U-14 title and the U-16 Shield, beating stiff opposition including Kilkenny and Cork along the way. Meanwhile the recent appointment of Wexford legend, Georgie O’Connor, as director of Hurling and the purchase of a new 30 acre site for a “Centre of Excellence” have proved that things may well be on the up.

On the 30th of November in the Stillorgan Park Hotel in Dublin at 8.00pm a gathering of Wexford people will be addressed by former All Ireland winning manager and successful businessman, Liam Griffin.

A contingent of the 1996 winning team will be in attendance on the night including, Liam Dunne, Georgie O’Connor, Rory McCarthy, Tom Dempsey and Billy Byrne. County footballing and hurling stars, Philip Wallace, Diarmuid Kinsella and Ciaran Deely and Des Mythen, PJ Nolan along with members of the Camogie and Ladies Football teams are all expected on the night too.

Chairman of the Wexford Supporters club in Dublin, Moses Morrissey said he expected, “a wide spectrum of the Wexford community based in Dublin to attend” and that “the night is an opportunity to meet new and make contact with old friends”.

He went on to say that, “Wexford people have achieved unprecedented success in recent years and this is an opportunity to celebrated this.” Citing Ann Doyle and Gerry Flemming of RT. Jim Bolger, Aidan O’Brien and Colm Murphy in horse racing, Gordon D’arcy and Kevin Doyle in international sport and Wexford first All Star footballer, Mattie Forde as examples.
In the arts, Padraig Delaney, recent star of the Wind that Shakes the Barley, Garret Lombard and Gary Lydon of RTs Pure Mule, and writers like Colm Tobn, Eoin Colfer, Billy Roche and Booker Prize Winner John Banville.In the world of business the likes of Mick Wallace, Sam McCauley and Bert Allen have all kept the purple and gold flying high.

Its hoped that the Supporters Club can act as a focus for all Wexford exiles in Dublin and bring together Wexford people from all walks of life including business, sport and the arts. It is hoped that the success and energy of these individuals can be harnessed and used to inspire the counties resurgence to the top table and to All Ireland Glory.

Moses Morrissey concluded by saying, “I urge all Wexford people and supporters of Wexford to come along, have a drink and a bite to eat and enjoy what promises to be the first of many great nights.”

Contacts:

Ben Healy - 086 4049435 Email: ben_healy@ireland.com
Eoin McCarthy 087 6561485 Email: eoin.m.mccarthy@gmail.com
Joe Carroll 087 7947657 Email: carrollj@icai.ie

Background:

The Wexford GAA Supporters Club, Dublin branch was formed in 1990 and has channeled tens of thousands into Wexford hurling and football over the years. More recently the club has been the main sponsor for the county Under 16, Under 17 and Minor hurling teams. This is an investment in the future health of the game in Wexford and has allowed team mentors to prepare well and without having to worry about the financial constraints. This year’s mentors include, Liam Dunne, Joe Kearns and Tom Dempsey and the club are confident they can play their part in bringing success back to Wexford at the underage level.

That’s a bit odd - the naming of the famous Wexicans. Googled Bert Allen and Sam McCauley and ye can be rightly proud of your world famous meat processors and pharmacists.

A bit pathetic to be fair. Not too impressed by the list of “stars” attending the event either.

Hurling All Star team announced on Friday night. A better balanced team than the GPA one I think. KK obviously deserve to have more than Cork given they went through the year unbeaten and won both competitions. The Tipp full back Paul Curran can count himself unlucky along with maybe Ben O’Connor from Cork but other than that I don’t see any glaring omissions.

Press release

Kilkenny’s all conquering hurlers were in celebratory mood again last night when six of their players were named as Vodafone GAA All Stars for 2006.

The award winners were announced during the live television show from the gala banquet at Dublin’s City West Hotel.

It was a special night for the famed Ballyhale Shamrocks club in Kilkenny. Two of their clubmen, Henry Shefflin and James ‘Cha’ Fitzpatrick were named Hurler of the Year and Young Hurler of the Year respectively.

Kerry’s Kieran Donaghy was named Footballer of the Year and Keith Higgins from Mayo was named Young Footballer of the Year.

Shefflin collected his sixth All Star award tonight and is now firmly set to equal and possibly surpass the record number of nine awards won by his former teammate DJ Carey and Kerry’s Pat Spillane.

Joining Shefflin and Fitzpatrick on the stage were their Kilkenny teammates JJ Delaney, Tommy Walsh who wins his fourth award in a fourth different position, Eddie Brennan and Martin Comerford.

Fitzpatrick was one of four first time award winners, the others being Eoin Murphy (Waterford), Brian Murphy (Cork) and Tony Griffin (Clare) who flew home from Canada for the awards.

The county breakdown is: Kilkenny (6), Cork (4), Waterford (3), Tipperary (1), Clare (1).

The Senior Footballer of the Year was Kerry’s Kieran Donaghey while Mayo’s Keith Higgins picked up the young player award.

Vodafone GAA Hurling All Stars for 2006: Donal Og Cusack, Eoin Murphy, JJ Delaney, Brian Murphy, Tony Browne, Ronan Curran, Tommy Walsh, Jerry O’Connor, James Fitzpatrick, Dan Shanahan, Henry Shefflin, Eddie Brennan, Eoin Kelly, Martin Comerford, Tony Griffin

Darragh Ryan has retired. After Liam Dunne and David ‘Doc’ O’Connor he has been my favourite Wexford player of the last 30 years. Showed amazing commitment, determination and bravery to keep coming back from chronic knee injuries and showed no little strength, skill and fight on the pitch either. The best full back of his generation and far superior to the criminally overrated Brian Lohan, Diarmuid O’Sullivan et al. Hopefully, he can contribute in the future in a coaching capacity as legends like him have so much to offer.