The great PJ McManus

Location location.

1 Like

Bale probably didnt fancy staying in The Manor and booked the closest alternative as per Booking.com

The Dunraven is grand but the Sausages at breakfast would sicken you. Very spicy.

2 Likes

And where have those wonderings lead your thinking to?

Theyā€™ve led my thinking to a particular conclusion which I wonā€™t elaborate on.

Bale seemed to be with some sort of organised tour

JPs supposed main operation is currency trading. It would be high volume, small margin stuff. Heā€™s gotten on the ā€œluckyā€ side of some very dubious deals, but Iā€™d say anyone operating those markets needs some sort of edge.

Currency trading has historically been the most corrupt of markets. Easiest to manipulate.

He was with carr golf travel. Who if Iā€™m not mistaken are owned by Desmond or somebody close to him.

1 Like

Thereā€™s no such thing as insider trading in forex

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing and not sharing at the same time I suppose ā€¦

Look at the Money spent in the 80s in the sale rings. Itā€™s mind boggling what was about the place.

Iā€™ve no doubt back then they were all involved in very shady dealings and corruption. Sure werenā€™t both taibor and smith both struck off the by the jockey club. None of these guys were exactly upstanding citizens to begin with.

Iā€™d be surprised if they are involved in anything really shady nowadays and Iā€™d ask myself whoā€™d actually benefit from them going to jail? Theyā€™d probably make it impossible to asset trip them as well.

JP made some decent money starting out with gambles.
Himself Desmond and Magnier then made their real money on some well documented shady enterprises covered by tribunals etc. But no doubt only scratching the surface of what happened.
He then has made a number of very shrewd investments with that money. They made savage money off a few public deals. Like buying and selling united.
The three boys are shrewd operators and have assets coming out their eyeballs. All of which generate income.
They are also unbelievably well connected.

Anyone care to talk about this limerick academy away from the county board, trips to arsenal etc as mentioned on threads. Also the player developmentā€¦ Iā€™m fascinated, fascinated by thelimericks and kinnerkbot.

Whereā€™s the unlimited heartbreak lad when a book is needed

Well they slipped up with man United as its value has only sky rocketed.

As you say too theyā€™re also probably getting deals on everything. Any other billionaire that runs into bother is probably going to sell them to get a quick deal and know they will get paid as well.

When you consider in the 80s Joe Donnelly bought a bumper horse for 150k off Barney Curley and accidentally transferred two 150ks tells you the money there was around gambling then as well.

Donnelly is probably the most interesting. Son of a small bookmaker from buttervant ends up owning the last house princess Diana stayed in Paris before she died. Itā€™s just crazy what these fellas achieved. I donā€™t think Donnelly was into very shady stuff either and has done a lot of charitable work too.

They did. But they made a nice twist still. Iā€™d say being that public didnā€™t suit them either. Donā€™t want fans investigating you when they are pissed off :joy:

2 Likes

No Iā€™d imagine it was going to end up being too much hassle.

There is a lotr of money in making the market for bond issues

The academy being away from the county board is a bit of a misrepresentation really. Theoretically it is but in reality, itā€™s a lot of the same people, Spike runs the county board and is one of the main people on the academy committee.

Heā€™s the one who approves stuff on a day-to-day level, particularly money-wise. Is he influenced by Joe McKenna on policy decisions? Possibly.

Afaik, he lets Donnelly & Browne tip away on the actual hurling side of things which is good but if you want something that costs money, it generally goes through Spike. That was my experience anyway. And, at the end of the day, all the coaches are volunteers. Standards go up and down but I guess the good side is players feel like they belong to something bigger.

2 Likes

Was covered in James O Deas book, A Biography in 9 lives that came out last Autumn

1 Like

Can you expand on this, there was the mention of the visit to arsenal