The great PJ McManus

Bit of luck/Davy blowing it.

The 95/96 age group was a bit of a freak.
We could see it even at u14/u16 club level.

The senior footballers have been driven by the same two birth years for 4 or 5 seasons now.

1 Like

Seamus Flanagan went from barely getting a run in 2017 for the 21’s to starting for the seniors the following year. Talk about finding a diamond in the rough. There wasn’t even a clamour for his inclusion from lads within his own club and he has proved so important since.

Kiely plucked for Hegarty at wing back for the 21’s in 2015 too, another kind of left field call that worked out spectacularly well. Another lad that could have easily drifted away.

Barry Nash was in and then out of the senior squad under Teege. Looked like a fella with a good future behind him for a time.

The whole thing is a bit mad. The perfect storm in recent years. Great players & great management combined at the same time. The likes of a Cian Lynch can’t be coached, it’s just God given natural ability allied to hard work.

1 Like

You need the bit of luck too.

But that part is a concern I have voiced to people; Gillane & Hegarty only really broke through aged 21. Will O’Donoghue played U-21 when he was 20, and was fairly poor, then wasn’t on the panel in 2015. It’s why a strong Club Championship is so important- WOD came through that path really, Gillane probably would have, he excelled with the club in 2016 and also with Mary I, before really kicking on with the 21s in 2017. Hego probably needed that boost with the 21s as he could easily have been forgotten about playing junior hurling.

Kiely has called in fellas on the basis of club form- BOG with Kilteely/Dromkeen in junior, Quinlan with the Bouncers (hadn’t played minor for Limerick), Ciarán Barry after a couple of good years with Ahane, Aaron Costello aged 26, Barry & Darren O’Connell both on the strength of their form with us, Houla & OOR with Kilmallock, Reidy in 2017 with Dromin/Athlacca.

Now, most of those haven’t played Championship but they’ve been in around the squad and have All Ireland medals.

I just worry that lower down the grades fellas might be missed because they’re out of the system aged 20, with the move to U-20. That’d be no Gillane or Hego ever playing underage hurling for Limerick. What can we do to at least keep the S&C part going? An intermediate panel is a lot of training for no real reward but should something exist, if even only an S&C monitoring programme, for the next 20-25 players that we think could make it in future. It’s an added cost, certainly, but in certain instances, there’s a huge S&C gap.

1 Like

He didn’t win it all with Clare, they didn’t win a Munster title under him.

1 Like

If I recall correctly WOD decided to go on J1 and missed the all Ireland but I get your points.

I do think the benefit of the academy and the restructuring of the club champions have increased the standard of club hurling which benefits the players outside the panel.

Good post. Little did they know in 2013 they were really being measured for funeral suits hurling wise.

Success breeds it as you say, a few down years and their heads could be turned by going abroad but that hasn’t happened yet. It’s reasonable to think other teams will catch up but the where limerick are now is the result of years of correct decisions and commitment to the seniors development. It’s not the 90s where even in their heyday people could see Clare would eventually lose the edge fitness wise. But limerick are almost playing a different sport as is, you need huge buy in to match that. But they won’t last forever, no team ever does. The scramble for tickets next year will be off the charts.

Agreed you can have the best of everything behind the scenes but if the players aren’t there you’ll win nothing.

1 Like

There’s an Irish fella, Des Ryan, pretty senior in the academy there. There’s also been a Limerick physio, deccie lynch, involved with the academy and senior squad. Tipp fella there too.

The links arent so tenuous as to be unapproachable

1 Like

Interesting to see @maroonandwhite acceptance of responses on Limericks success and generational talent etc when the same was given to him for Dublin footballers but he went full Ewan on it. He just hates Dubs i suppose.

4 Likes

Oofft!

The city that gave him everything . Sad to see.

1 Like

Don’t bite the hand that feeds you

1 Like

The gasket will blow if dubs do it Sunday . For the sake of the temperature on the forum I hope da Kerry bayz bring home da canister .

The Anthony Daly effect

1 Like

Chippy Brady is also a friend of the big house

Wait did limerick get millions in funding from the
government and the games governing body?? Not to mention preferential treatment re venues and their own pet ref. Nope. Dublin got all that and still fell over the line a few times. What limerick are doing off their own steam in a far better and more complicated game than big ball bears no resemblance to Dublins bought all Irelands. That’s all I’m saying on it in this thread. This is good hurling discussion, keep man city out of it.

A more objective set of eyes would say that’s what made them so great - champions find a way . You’re blind hatred of anything Dublin denies you the ability to see that .
The ref piece is laughable , he fcuked Dublin over a few times . Another county reckoned he fcuked them over only a few weeks ago and they weren’t playing Dublin . Take your time and Join the dots , he may just be a bad ref which comes to the fore more in tight games , which like you’ve alluded to , Dublin have been involved in many.

This is total gibberish scumpot. You were never the brightest and in fairness you’ve maintained a certain level of consistency. Sportswash the preferential funding and treatment (which you’ve ignored) on some other thread please.

1 Like

They did but in a round about way. They were handed a ball of cash by a chap who is too miserable to pay a bit of tax here.

8 Likes