The I'm Home Safe Thread

+1

Indeed. I heard Scotland have it ten times worse than we have…

Im sure the Scots will deal with it better too.

I don’t know, Shan. Sitting in your car on a gridlocked motorway with no traffic moving for over 10 hours suggests they’re not dealing with it too well.

In Dublin it would be 20 hours. :lol:

I’m home safely after taking my first fall of the cold snap a mere 20 yards from my apartment. Very sore on the right buttock, hip and elbow. Heartbreaking stuff reminiscent of those particularly sad stories you read about people being involved in fatal road accidents approaching the end of a long journey when they were only a mile or so from home.

Make sure and ice that or you’ll be sore in the morning…

Ironic.
Using ice to cure an ice related injury

Jesus those footpaths are quare slippy in south Dublin. My normal 3 minute walk from the Luas took over 10 minutes and I nearly went over a few times.

While the ice is slowly melting some footpaths are as lethal now as anytime over the past 2 weeks. I’m just home after walking around some of the back streets of Christchurch and I don’t know how I didnt hop off the ground. The ice at the moment seems to like wet glass with no grip whatsoever from recent snowfalls.

Yeah, it’s unbelievable. The ice on the paths last weekend was like hot tar compared to this. UCD to Booterstown DART station usually takes me 15 minutes. 30 today. That’s twice the length. And I almost went over about two dozen times. I’ve to write a 5000 word essay now that’s due for tomorrow. Ice age Ireland is the topic. Fuck’s sake.

What kind of footwear do experienced ice-men on this forum suggest wearing? I was wearing a pair of Nike running shoes today with decent grip and they were absolutely no use.

Don’t think there’s any type of footwear that would help on those footpaths. Bloody lethal they are.

That was as slippy as I’ve seen it tonight. Changed my walking style to smaller and more conservative and tentative steps but that was fucking lethal.

Going against the trend here, I found the footpaths of Ballsbridge to be noticeably less slippy as I walked home from work tonight. Long live the thaw.

Heard of a lad wearing golf shoes today to walk to work and changed then when he got to the office. I suppose the spikes would probably help alright.

Timberland boots and their like. They’ve kept me alive for the last two weeks anyway. Not that bad in Galway the last few days. I’ve taken to wearing fashionable shoes and I’ve got on fine. Runners are a disaster.

Rough in Limerick by the looks of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfpmWdyxTx0

:lol: :clap:

Roads have supposedly thawed up here but some spots are still lethal… Driving along in the tractor an hour ago bale on front, bale on back… Lost it completly on a bend and did a 360… Thank fcuk there was nothing oncoming.

Fairly safe up there anyway, the dog nearly shit himself though, windy cunt.

You shouldn’t be on the road in one of them come nightfall…hope you write the fucking thing off next time :angry:

Go fcuk yourself Puke.

I had my reasons.

my nike vomero 4’s have been standing me in good stead of late around the north kildare hi tech zone that is still under a heavy covering of snow
this thaw is a cunt, i was out there a while ago on the balcony and took a horrible slide.

speaking of footwear Mark Keneally bounded past me on the main street of maynooth yesterday totally oblivious to the conditions no doubt preparing for the upcoming european cross coutry in portugal at the weekend.
i believe mark wears Yaktrax clipped over his runners for better grip on the ice

http://hikealberta.com/files/yaktrax.jpg