The "im sorry Nembo Kid, you were right I was wrong"

after rossies horrifying defeat today and Antrim flying the flag for Ulster, nembo kid has been proven right again.

this thread is for people who argued with him to apologise

Thanks, pal.

Pretty harsh on Sligo to refer to Roscommon losing to them as ‘horrifying’. Roscommon v Sligo is about as 50/50 as you’ll get when it comes to championship football and as its a big local derby, form book very often goes out the window.

Roscommon are meant to be competing for All Irelands and were big favourites for the match yesterday as a team that has so much talked about them over the last few years should be.

The bit where Canavan quoted the remark from the Roscommon manager expecting them to be competing for All Irelands and the camera cut to McGuinness who was laughing his hole off was quite funny. I said Roscommon were nowhere near the team they were hyped to have been from my limited viewing of them. I’ve seen them against Down, Sligo and Armagh now over the past year and I’ve seen their u21s against Tyrone. They’ve been really unimpressive in all those games. I don’t think they have the quality players, I don’t think they have defenders who know how to defend and I don’t think they have the heart for a battle.

As I also commented during the league final against Down, their full forward is a donkey.

My snap judgement on Roscommon was proven right, as it usually is.

Roscommon v Sligo is a local derby, where form book invariably goes out the windows. Their last 10 championship meetings have split 5/5 - Sligo winning in 2015, 2007, 1997, 1987 and 1981, Roscommon winning in 2010, 2004 (after a replay), 1998 (after a replay), 1989 and 1982.

Sligo are always a dangerous proposition in the championship. They’ve beaten Galway three times in recent years, 2007, 2010 and 2012 and their 2010 win over Mayo is Mayo’s only defeat in Connacht over the last 7 Connacht championships. Sligo gave Kerry their biggest scare in their All Ireland winning year of 2009 (going down to the lions den of Tralee and losing by just 1 point and that after missing a penalty in the last few minutes). And for someone who never shots up about 2002, no doubt you are keenly aware that Sligo gave Armagh their biggest scare in their All Ireland winning year (Armagh needing a replay to win by just 2 points) and Sligo also knocked out Tyrone in 2002.

You were quite snippy about the fact that Roscommon lost to a Division 3 team Sligo. Last week you were predicting to all and sundry that a Division 3 side Armagh would take out one of the main All Ireland contenders Donegal and that Armagh were among the favourites for outright Ulster and All Ireland glory. Its worth noting that Sligo beat Armagh by 11 points in Division 3 of the League back in April.

Sligo beating Roscommon is not a big shock to me. I think they are two teams at about the same level, it’s just that Roscommon have a major PR machine behind them building them up to a level they are miles off.

That’s all well and good Geoffrey but Nembo reckoned Roscommon were overrated and suggesting now that they’re about Sligo’s equal in the championship really just backs up his argument.

Roscommon have an extroverted manager from Kerry who talks them up. He was the same in Tipperary, talking about transforming Tipperary into All Ireland contenders. When it comes to gaelic football, Kerry people don’t suffer from a lack of confidence or low expectations and demands. That seems to me, to be where the Roscommon PR machine starts and ends. Roscommon are about a once a decade Connacht winning county. As I’ve said Sligo v Roscommon is as close as you’ll get to an even match in championship football. A 5/5 split from their last 10 meetings over the last 35 years bears that out and in population terms they’re pretty evenly matched too - Sligo is the 26th most populous of the 32 counties and Roscommon the 27th.

If Roscommon have a tendency to talk themselves up a bit, its down to their tradition, they won All Ireland’s in the 40’s and were All Ireland finalists in 1962 and 1980. Counties with tradition do that. Cavan and Down people are not slow about telling you about all their All Ireland’s and Ulster titles, even though in Cavan’s case you’re going back over half a century to the last time Cavan were a national force.

What a boring and irrelevant response. They hyped themselves up a bit and they flopped. End of story.

christ almighty, from those inane posts littered with stats im led to believe geoff boycott is manuel zelaya and he is now arguing against his previous posts

my God that is stage 9 rattled

well played Rudi

I don’t know how I could be arguing against my previous posts when prior to the aftermath of last night’s game I haven’t made a single pronouncement or comment good, bad or indifferent about the strengths, merits, weaknesses or otherwise of the Roscommon football team, 2015 vintage.

This is a thread for people to say sorry for getting too big for their boots and going against me, if you’re not going to apologise here then I would have to question why you are partaking in this very thread. I have been vindicated.

What I said about Roscommon was fair and reasonable, the proof was in the pudding and it has vindicated me.

1 Like

bumped for kev and mac

2 Likes