The last Eight of Champions League

Now that Liverpool are in we might as well speculate as to who will get whom. Its an open draw Friday so that makes it intresting. I have a feeling its going to be United Chelsea. Obviously I dont want that draw when the likes of Fenerbache and Schalke are in it. I think it will be:

United/Chelsea
Roma/Arsenal

Barca/Fenerbache
Liverpool/Schalke

Then the winners of the top two and bottom two matches meet in semis.

[quote=ā€œCaptainshanā€]Now that Liverpool are in we might as well speculate as to who will get whom. Its an open draw Friday so that makes it intresting. I have a feeling its going to be United Chelsea. Obviously I dont want that draw when the likes of Fenerbache and Schalke are in it. I think it will be:

United/Chelsea
Roma/Arsenal

Barca/Fenerbache
Liverpool/Schalke

Then the winners of the top two and bottom two matches meet in semis.[/quote]

Any reasoning behind your draw prediction Shan? Do you think two of the balls in the drum (Manchester United and Chelsea) will be heavier than the others and itā€™ll be a fix that theyā€™re pulled out together? Or are your pairs based more on statistical trends from the past?

Im basing it on the Fa Cup rule where United get a Premiership team. Now that its an open draw I expect this to happen.

I think it depends on how the draw works:

If full names are used on the slips of paper in the draw then youā€™d expect the longest names (Manchester United and Fenerbahce) to require most ink and thus be heaviest and possibly remain in the drum for longest, thus drawing eachother. However if they use abbreviations or assign numbers to the teams then itā€™s a real lottery.

I think itā€™s the former though so I expect to see:

AS Roma v Chelsea FC
Arsenal FC v Schalke 04
FC Barcelona v Liverpool FC
Fenerbahce v Manchester United FC

The Chelsea/Arsenal/Schalke draw could really go anyway but I just think thereā€™s more ink required in the broad vowels of Chelsea.

Iā€™d love if the English teams were kept apart and they all failed to get to the semi finals. Iā€™d follow Liverpool a lot, and theyā€™d be one of the teams Iā€™d support, but listening to gobshites like Dunphy go on about how Liverpool are shite, they beat Inter, so Italian soccer is shite, makes me pissed off with it all. The fawning the media and people here do over premiership teams astounds me. Utd have been in the champions league knock out for what, nearly 16 consecutive years or something like that, but only won one. Thats a terrible statistic. Chelsea for all their dominance have done nothing in the CL. Liverpool for all their faults since 1990, have a better record than all the english teams.

Why no one pulled Dunphy up on his facts about Inter leading the Serie A and going out, thereby being worse than Premiership and La Liga, yet Roma beat La Liga leaders Real Madrid?

In fairness, Iā€™d still love to see Liverpool win it, as that would sicken Dunphy and the rest of the Premiership brigade, and I still follow 'pool, but Iā€™d be sickened if one of the other 3 won it. And the boys last night predicting all English teams will be the semi finalists if they avoid eah other. I hope to jaysus Schalke or Fenerbache put one of them out. Cant see it tho, as they are 2 of hte weaker ones, but itā€™d be great to see Roma overturn Utd this year after their dismal performance last year.

The number 8 would have more ink than 1.

[quote=ā€œtherock67ā€]I think it depends on how the draw works:

If full names are used on the slips of paper in the draw then youā€™d expect the longest names (Manchester United and Fenerbahce) to require most ink and thus be heaviest and possibly remain in the drum for longest, thus drawing eachother. However if they use abbreviations or assign numbers to the teams then itā€™s a real lottery.

I think itā€™s the former though so I expect to see:

AS Roma v Chelsea FC
Arsenal FC v Schalke 04
FC Barcelona v Liverpool FC
Fenerbahce v Manchester United FC

The Chelsea/Arsenal/Schalke draw could really go anyway but I just think thereā€™s more ink required in the broad vowels of Chelsea.[/quote]

Interesting school of thought there Rocko and one that has quite a degree of merit. I suppose the danger lies in the potential for abbreviated team names being used in the draw such as ā€˜Barcaā€™ or ā€˜Fenerā€™ and that could make the draw a real lottery. In fact you could even end up with any combination of the 8 teams in that scenario and that would really set tongues wagging and give the conspiracy theorists their day.

Thatā€™s the real fear Bandage - that we get this random draw that canā€™t be vouched back to logic. Then weā€™d know it was fixed. Iā€™d be astonished, absolutely astonished, if the draw Iā€™ve predicted above doesnā€™t transpire.

I seem to remember full names being used before in the CL draw so I donā€™t think weā€™ll have a problem with abbreviations.

Whereā€™s the final being played?
Wherever it is they wonā€™t relish the prospect of a Chelsea/Man U final.

I think there will be a couple of all English games but i have a sneaky feeling Barcelona will get Man U.

I think the recent competition trends suggest that the EPL is becoming the strongest league in Europe given all 4 of their representatives have reached the quarter finals this season and Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United advanced to the semi-finals last year. All that said the competition winnersā€™ listing would only show 2 English winners in the recent past - Manchester United in 1999 and Liverpool in 2005 - and that doesnā€™t stand up to Spain or Italy and is more comparable to the likes of Germany. So before Dunphy, Giles and Brady completely write off La Liga and Serie A, and make sweeping statements about the relative quality of these leagues and how they lack in quality compared to the EPL, they might be advised to wait and see how things pan out over the next few years and see if a period of English domination actually occurs over a concerted timeframe.

The finalā€™s on in Moscow by the way.

[quote=ā€œBandageā€]they might be advised to wait and see how things pan out over the next few years and see if a period of English domination actually occurs over a concerted timeframe.

[/quote]

no more English domination than anything. Arsenal? Liverpool? Utd and Chelsea granted have a couple, the others virtually nothing apart from Gerrard and wonderboy.

last year they were going on about how dominant they were, and how great they were wiht 3 teams in the semi. Yet none of them won.

My predictions:

Man Utd v Arsenal
Fenerbache v Roma
Liverpool v Barcelona
Schalke v Chelsea

The final will be an all english affair, Man Utd v Liverpool possibly if they can avoid each other until then.

btw, what time is the draw at?

I canā€™t believe weā€™re predicting a draw and I tried to make fun of it yesterday but seeing as a good few of you have done so already - I think it will be:

1. Schalke vs Roma
  2. Arsenal vs Liverpool
  3. Fenerbahce vs Manchester United
  4. Barcelona vs Chelsea

Semi finals:

1. vs 3.
  2. vs 4.

1.Barcelona vs Roma
2. Arsenal vs liverpool
3. Fenerbahce vs Schalke
4. Manchester United vs Chelsea

Semi finals:

1. vs 3. roma vs fenerbache
  2. vs 4. arsenal vs chelsea

Final :
Roma Vs Chelsea

winners : roma or chelsea obviously

Getting a bit nervous now waiting to see if my prediction will be right.

rehearsal draw from earlier drew out this: Schalke v Chelsea, Liverpool v Fenerbahce, Barcelona v Man Utd, Arsenal v Roma.

think they are just blealting on now before the draw takes place

Arsenal v Liverpool
Roma v Man Utd
Schalke v Barcelona
Fenerbache v Chelsea

arsenal v liverpool
roma v Man Utd

I just knew Roma and Utd would get a rematch. By feck Iā€™d love to see Roma do them this year after what happened last year. Chelsea got a nice 1/4 final, but potential of Barca in semi.

Hope Liverpool get stuffed as I hate them with a passion. Then a semi final of Bara v Man U where Barcelona cream them