The Let Kev at your Back thread

its psychosomatic mate

The pain will be back very soon

This is it.

People really do not understand the word intervention. Whether its medical, phisological or psychological its only about getting you back to averge/normal/zero.

Go back sitting 12 hours a day and back squatting 120kg’s and the same shit happens again. Eventually they stop that and get fat.

And then they wake up at 52 and go “what the fuck happened?”

Gobshites

3 Likes

I’m that gobshite

I’ve had it put to me by a couple of physios that long term sitting is fine if you are squatting/lifting and running etc - that it all evens out as long as you are obviously looking after some stretching and foam rolling and the likes…

The modern world means people have to sit for long periods -

Ya and thats why physios know fuck all in alot of cases.

They want you back and under the knife if at all possible

So youre saying people who sit long hours for work should cut out exercise? – And i’m not saying they are right, but why is your opinion, or other S&C’s opinions, more valid than someone who has studied injury?

You were spot on about Cross fit

that’s for sure

Kev is spot on about most things. He thought he was wrong once, but it turned out he was mistaken.

No they need a more layered and structured approach on multiple levels than just run around and lift weights.
They need a strategy for ling office hours. Getting up every 20 mins is enough to wake up the spinal muscles that go to sleep thru sitting. That activation is enough for them not to dystrophy.

Physios buy into whatever comes along. Its dry needling now. Foam rolling before and so on.

Strength underpins everything. But strength os latered. If you spend 8 hours weakening your trunk muscles going out playing ball or doing squats then then you will cause damage.

The research is there. The work Dr. Stuart mcGill has done has been significant. I think he was a physio originally. But he went deep and over a very long period.

There is no reason only ego for lads to be doing bilateral back squats. Many other exercoses that are much less damaging on lumbar muscles to put on muscle, build strength etc.

And why is our opinion more valuable. We’re just newer. The research, the text books etc are just up to date. Physiotheraphy is struggling to catch up.
Us we study movement as a whole. We are also coaches, so better at buy in. We also follow up. Physios give a piece of paper and let you off necer calling again.

Physios look at symptoms. Its a crazy way at looking at it. They are being found out now as well, the ones who never developed anyway. I know one well known guy around me has lost huge numbers. Another guy gave up a county team job to double down on business and expand his education.

Sitting is the new smoking pal

1 Like

I do 4 hours a day

the more slothful posters like @farmerinthecity @Ambrose_McNulty & @Mac are goosed

Pilates. On a reformer.

Any lads on here not doing it would want their heads examined. My mobility was shocking. I have hips like a snake now.

@ChocolateMice can also confirm it makes a man multi orgasmic

3 Likes

That’s all fair enough and I agree with the last point - I do back squat but only as part of a wider programme where I do everything from front squats, RDLs, single leg squats, split squats, deads, box jumps, lunges, reverse lunges, walking lunges etc. etc etc. Try to vary it up and mix exercises on different days …

I actually think my latest injury came about from carrying two slabs of beer into the triskel from Barrack st on opening night … that slightly leaned forward position from carrying the slabs … played ball then when I was pain free and unknowing of damage and then whammy, twisted a number of vertebrae …

Confirmed.

1 Like

That was the breaking point.

Not the issue itself

It has limitations.

How you feel is not always the best baromter.

How you move.

Stability trumps mobility.

And reformers have you off your feet. Seeing as your feet hit the ground first with anything that needs stability that kinetic link is lost. I do in 4 mins what people pay thru the roof for in pilates over 2 sessions a week. Thats the cold truth

2 Likes

Yeah - old injury — and probably ignored as I was flying it for last few years…

1 Like

:astonished:

Can’t be easy for the vertebrae to hold the show together when you are completely lacking in spine

3 Likes

How many fights have you showed up to in the People’s Park?

1 Like