The long and bumpy road to Super Bowl XLVI

NFL 2011 Draft Results

1. Cam Newton QB to Carolina
  2. Von Miller LB to Denver
  3. Marcell Dareus DT to Buffalo
  4. AJ Green WR to Cincinatti
    Apparently Atlanta were very close to trading up
  5. Patrick Peterson CB to Arizona
    Browns trade #6 pick to Atlanta. Peter King saying 2 firsts[2011 and 2012], 1 second[2011] and two fourths[2011 and 2012]. Huge Deal!
  6. Julio Jones WR to Atlanta
  7. Aldon Smith DE to San Francisco
  8. Jake Locker QB to Tennessee
  9. Tyron Smith OT to Dallas
    Redskins trade #10 pick to Jaguars for 2011 first and second pick.
  10. Blaine Gabbert QB to Jaguars
  11. JJ Watt DE to Texans
    Minnesota and Detroit both reportedly trying to trade out of their spots
  12. Christian Ponder QB to Minnesota
  13. Nick Fairley NT to Detroit
  14. Robert Quinn DE to St. Louis
  15. Mike Pouncey C to Miami
  16. Ryan Kerrigan DE to Redskins
  17. Nate Solder OT to New England
  18. Corey Liuget DT to San Diego
  19. Prince Amukamara CB to New York Giants
  20. Adrian Clayborn DL to Tampa Bay
    Chiefs have traded their #21 pick to Cleveland for 2011 first and third picks.
  21. Phil Taylor NT to Cleveland
  22. Anthony Constanzo OL to Indianapolis
  23. Danny Watkins G to Philadelphia
  24. Cameron Jordan DE to New Orleans
    Seahawks at 25 and Chiefs at 27 both trying to trade back
  25. James Carpenter G to Seattle
  26. Baltimore passed at their spot after running out of time trying to make a deal with the Bears. Very Weird. Kansas pick Jonathan Baldwin WR.
  27. Baltimore jump back in to pick Jimmy Smith CB.
    New England have traded their pick to New Orleans for second-round pick this year and a first-round pick in 2012
  28. Mark Ingram RB to New Orleans.
  29. Gabe Carimi OT to Chicago
  30. Muhammad Wilkerson DT to NY Jets
  31. Cameron Heyward DE to Pittsburgh
  32. Derek Sherrod OT to the World Champion Green Bay Packers

I’m editing the top post as it happens to refresh to see changes.

Locker before Gabbert, Mallett, Dalton, Ponder.

Shocker!

Tweet of the night so far:

davidgarrard9 David Garrard
I know nobody saw that coming! Welcome to jville Blaine.

Christian Ponder to the Vikings!!!

No love yet for Dalton or Mallett… We could have 6+ QBs in the first round

Detroit now have Suh and Fairley. They are turning into genuine contenders*

[size=“1”]*If they can keep Stafford healthy[/size]

Reggie Bush, not too happy about the saints trading up for Ingram I see.

Why oh why did the niners not take a QB? Is Harbaugh happy with Smith??? Or is he looking to do some serious trading up next year when Andrew Luck comes out?
Or maybe Carson Palmer will be heading out west over the summer?

Jesus H CHrist what are the Titans doing?

Locker is just another hand the ball off merchant. Its probably in Chris Johnsons contract that they can’t sign a slinging accurate QB.

Did Oakland do any business?

We want Football!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnCvGY_RvB4

Oakland traded their first round pick to New England for Richard Seymour so they had no picks last night.

Tonight should be interesting with Bowers, Dalton and Mallett still up for grabs.

Congratulations to Cam and Nick. I’ll be looking for a new college team to support next season though.

Also congratulations to me for predicting Cam would go at the top of the draft despite the views of the “experts.”

NEW YORK – Musings, observations and the occasional insight from an intriguing second and third round of the 2011 NFL Draft at Radio City Music Hall …

• I aways find the second and third rounds of the NFL draft at its most interesting when you start to see teams put things together, complementing their first-round work and fitting together the pieces of their roster puzzle. As the blanks get filled in, teams create new tandems and combinations and give their fans unforeseen possibilities to consider.

Some of the most promising ones coming out of the early rounds of this year’s draft are:

– Cincinnati revamping its offensive makeup with the pairing of first-round receiver A.J. Green of Georgia (No. 4 overall) and Texas Christian quarterback Andy Dalton. Carson Palmer and Chad Ochocinco? That’s so 2010.

– Tampa Bay getting a much-needed double shot of pass-rushing help in taking the draft’s biggest tumbler, Clemson defensive end Da’Quan Bowers at No. 51, just a night after landing Iowa defensive end Adrian Clayborn at No. 20.

– The Vikings rolling the dice with first-round quarterback Christian Ponder (12th), but then at least having the decency to get him a new target to throw to in second-round Notre Dame tight end Kyle Rudolph (43rd overall).

– Houston making new defensive coordinator Wade Phillips a happy man, jacking up the front seven of the Texans’ 3-4 defense with defensive end J.J. Watt in Round 1 (11th) and Arizona outside linebacker Brooks Reed (42nd overall) in the second. And for good measure, Houston traded back into the second round to address its pass-coverage need with University of Miami cornerback Brandon Harris.

– And the on-the-way-up Lions continued to add weapons to their young offensive nucleus, snagging explosive Boise State receiver Titus Young in the second round (No. 44) and then securing a backfield mate for 2010 first-round running back Jahvid Best in Illinois rusher Mikel LeShoure (57th). Watch out for Detroit in the NFC North in 2011. The Lions aren’t jokes anymore.

• His well-chronicled knee issue may or may not hold him back on the field, but it didn’t do Da’Quan Bowers any favors in the draft. He says the knee doesn’t hurt him one bit, but he certainly experienced a painful plunge into the bottom half of the second round, before going to Tampa Bay at No. 51. That’s only about 50 slots later than he was originally expected to come off the board.

"The last 24 hours have been crazy-long,’’ Bowers said Friday night after the Bucs caught the falling star. "It’s been grueling just waiting for that one phone call. I’m just glad for the opportunity that Tampa Bay gave me. I just want to show them that they made a great pick and it wasn’t a mistake.

"I didn’t expect the wait to be this long. I was expecting to go off the board in the first round. But I’m glad Tampa Bay like me enough to pick me where they picked me. I’m definitely motivated. I’m just ready to get in Tampa and show everybody what I’m capable of doing, and show them that they picked a great athlete and a great guy.’’

Bowers couldn’t have landed in an NFL locale with more opportunity. The Bucs ranked 31st in sacks last season, and they’ll turn him loose to chase quarterbacks from Day 1 – if he can earn the starting job. Bowers said his knee won’t be an issue, but it was this week; and he won’t convince anyone that his health isn’t a concern until he takes the field and produces like the first-round pick he was presumed to be.

"The knee is fine,’’ Bowers said. "It’s getting better every day. I’ll be ready to get on the field whenever they need me to.’’

• The draft’s other spectacular freefall was executed, of course, by Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett. But man, did he ever stick the landing. Mallett to New England at No. 74, in the third round, puts a happy ending on a pretty sad chapter in Mallett’s football life.

With the Patriots, the pluses are obvious: Mallett can watch and learn from Tom Brady, hopefully picking up plenty about how to play quarterback in the NFL and what it takes to be a professional in every aspect of the game. With no early pressure on Mallett to work his way onto the field, barring an injury to Brady, he’ll have time to grow and work on some of the maturity issues that plagued at Michigan and Arkansas.

And even if he doesn’t emerge as Brady’s successor someday, perhaps he’ll show enough in a couple years to make him an attractive trade possibility for teams on the lookout for a young starter. Not exactly the same scenario that allowed Matt Cassel to cash in, but close enough.

• With Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick and Mallett making it seven quarterbacks taken in the first three rounds, the NFL fell one short of a record showing for passers. Had Iowa’s Ricky Stanzi cracked the third round, as some analysts thought possible, the eight QBs would have been the most ever for Rounds 1-3.

As is, it was the most quarterbacks taken that early since 2006, when seven were selected in Rounds 1-3: Vince Young (3rd), Matt Leinart (10th) and Jay Cutler (11th) in the first round; Kellen Clemens and Tarvaris Jackson in the second round; and Charlie Whitehurst and Brodie Croyle in the third.

The Class of 2011 best hope that five-year comparison doesn’t hold much meaning. Cutler is the only one of the seven still owning a starting job in the NFL – and he’s already on his second team.

• I like the work of several teams that gave it a nice, even-handed approach in the opening two rounds, paying near equal attention to both sides of the ball.

Arizona got potential impact players on defense with cornerback Patrick Peterson in Round 1, and offense, with second-round running back Ryan Williams. Taking Williams just two years after spending a first-round pick on running back Beanie Wells clearly spells out the Cardinals were hoping for more in Wells.

Tennessee hopped on its quarterback need with Jake Locker at No. 8 on Thursday night, but came right back and spent its No. 39 pick on a much-needed outside linebacker in UCLA’s Akeem Ayers.

San Francisco took the reverse approach. First, the 49ers went defense, grabbing Missouri outside linebacker Aldon Smith at No. 7. Then, San Francisco targeted the passer it craved, trading three picks to Denver to get back up to No. 36 and select Kaepernick.

Lastly, Detroit’s haul of defensive tackle Nick Fairley in the first round, and receiver Titus Young and running back Mikel LeShoure in the second keeps the Lions on an upward trajectory in my estimation.

• The Colts are trying their best to give Peyton Manning what he wants before they hand him a gazillion dollars in his next contract: That would be some young offensive linemen to protect his well-paid backside.

Indy went with Boston College offensive tackle Anthony Castonzo in the first round (No. 22), addressing its most glaring need with one of the top three tackles in the draft, and then doubled down by adding Villanova guard-tackle Benjamin Ijalana in the second round (49th).

No. 18 no doubt watched the proceedings unfold, and pronounced it good.

• Well, I guess the Bills meant it when they said they can win with Ryan Fitzpatrick at quarterback. I predicted Buffalo would go for Missouri’s Blaine Gabbert at No. 3, but that didn’t happen. The Bills passed on Gabbert, Jake Locker and Christian Ponder in the first round, said "no thanks’’ to Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick in the second round, and didn’t bite on Ryan Mallett or any other passer in the third round.

Ryan Fitzpatrick it is. At least for another season in Buffalo.

• Uh, oh, rest of the NFC. The Packers offense might have gotten even better, taking offensive players in the first three round for the first time in 15 years. Green Bay selected Mississippi State offensive tackle Derek Sherrod in the first round, took underrated Kentucky receiver Randall Cobb at the end of the second, and capped the night by tabbing Hawaii running back Alex Green, a third-down threat, with the penultimate pick of Round 3.

• New 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh has made it known he still wants Alex Smith around in 2011, but trading up to draft Kaepernick early in Round 2 should speak volumes to Smith about where his future lies, and it’s anywhere but the Bay Area.

If Smith chooses to come back and help groom Kaepernick to take his job, he’s just a glutton for punishment. He’s been the favorite whipping boy of 49ers fans for years now, and it won’t get better with a second-round rookie waiting in the wings for his chance to play.

After everything Smith has been through with the 49ers, I can’t see him signing up for the "bridge’’ quarterback duty in San Francisco. Even if he is walking away from a potential starting role this season. Enough’s enough.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/04/29/friday.draftsnaps/index.html#ixzz1L0ZrFR7k

Oh dear… Just shut up lads!

PITTSBURGH – Rashard Mendenhall has created a stir with comments made on his official Twitter page regarding Osama bin Laden’s death. The Pittsburgh Steelers running back on Monday tweeted: “What kind of person celebrates death? It’s amazing how people can HATE a man they have never even heard speak. We’ve only heard one side…”
Mendenhall didn’t hold back, even making a reference to the Sept. 11 attacks.
“We’ll never know what really happened. I just have a hard time believing a plane could take a skyscraper down demolition style.”
The Steelers felt compelled to act. On Tuesday, team president Art Rooney II released a statement.
“I have not spoken with Rashard, so it is hard to explain or even comprehend what he meant with his recent Twitter comments. The entire Steelers organization is very proud of the job our military personnel have done and we can only hope this leads to our troops coming home soon.”
Mendenhall, who profiles himself as a “conversationalist and professional athlete” on his Twitter page, turned some heads in March, as well, when he supported a comment by Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson comparing the NFL to “modern-day slavery.”
“Anyone with knowledge of the slave trade and the NFL could say that these two parallel eachother,” Mendenhall posted at the time.
Mendenhall is coming off a tremendous season, as he led the AFC champions in carries (324), rushing yards (1,273) and rushing touchdowns (13). He has 2,439 yards in three seasons since being drafted in the 2008 first round out of Illinois.
In the 2010 postseason, Mendenhall ran for 230 yards on 61 carries in three games with four touchdowns, as Pittsburgh defeated the Baltimore Ravens (31-24) and New York Jets (24-19), before falling to the Green Bay Packers 31-25 in the Super Bowl.
Among his other bin Laden tweets:
“I believe in God. I believe we’re ALL his children. And I believe HE is the ONE and ONLY judge.”
“Those who judge others, will also be judged themselves.”
“For those of you who said you want to see Bin Laden burn … I ask how would God feel about your heart?”
“There is not an ignorant bone in my body. I just encourage you to think.”
Mendenhall’s string of tweets ended around 6 p.m. Monday. He has not tweeted since.
Sports radio talk shows in Pittsburgh — and around the nation — were fielding calls on Tuesday about his comments.
Mendenhall has 13,631 followers on Twitter, and he personally follows 66. Included in the group he’s following is the Dalai Lama, comedian Sarah Silverman and the Park Community Church in Chicago.

The circuit court ruling that allows NFL owners to maintain their lockout of the players was powerful on two fronts.

1. It basically said the federal court in Minneapolis did not have the jurisdiction to force the owners to reopen their doors and resume business.

2. It strongly intimated that the league will win its appeal of Judge Susan Nelson’s player-friendly ruling when the sides begin arguing their cases June 3 in St. Louis.

“In sum, we have serious doubts that the district court had jurisdiction to enjoin the League’s lockout,” the circuit court said after the three-judge panel voted 2-1 to enforce the temporary stay, “and accordingly (we) conclude that the League has made a strong showing that it is likely to succeed on the merits.”

McCANN: Questions after Monday’s ruling

Multiple lawyers said Monday those are powerful words. One went so far as to say, “It’s an advanced telegraph of what the ruling will be from the June 3 hearing.”

Perhaps. But the players still have an ace up their sleeve. His name is Judge David Doty.

The Minnesota-based district judge ruled March 1 that the owners not only had illegally created a $4 billion lockout fund by redoing its television contracts, but he also said they sought to “harm” the players. He held a hearing last Thursday to decide what damages should be awarded, and many people scratched their heads when the session ended without a firm date for announcing his intentions.

It’s possible Doty wanted to wait and see how the circuit court ruled before announcing his ruling. The circuit court had already tipped its hand in favor of the owners by issuing a temporary stay of the lockout, so Monday’s ruling for a permanent stay was not totally shocking. The same cannot be said of the language. It was powerful.

Doty has to know that if he allows the owners to have even limited access to the $4 billion lockout fund, the players have no chance of standing up to the owners in the short run. They simply lack the funds to withstand a season without paychecks. However if Doty gives the players what they were seeking in damages – which is as much as $2.8 billion ($707 million in compensatory damages, plus up to three times that in exemplary/punitive damages) – it could sustain the players if there were no football in 2011.

“His ruling is a lot more important now than it was an hour ago – a heck of a lot more important,” an attorney familiar with the case said shortly after the circuit court ruling. “The court’s decision makes him even more of a player because now that he knows the 8th circuit is not going to be an impediment to the lockout, he could ask himself: Am I going to permit the league to use the $4 billion? Remember, he already has written that the money was obtained illegally and was done so to harm the players. His ruling was strong. This puts the spotlight back on him.”

So while Monday’s circuit court ruling was a major win for the owners, it won’t be as significant a loss for the players if Doty provides them with a financial war chest that allows them to ride out a lockout in 2011.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/jim_trotter/05/16/nfl.lockout.labor.talks/index.html#ixzz1Mc6JNfHu

Ruling in favor of NFL, lockout extension set up key June decision

Story Highlights
A June 3 decision will be the most important news since the CBA expired in March
If the NFL wins, it could continue the lockout, probably for as long as it wants
If the players win, the lockout likely would be over and they could go back to work

Burning questions coming out of Monday’s ruling to keep the lockout in place …

1. Does the Eighth Circuit’s ruling mean that the lockout will last at least until June?

Unless the players and league reach a deal on their own or through federal mediation, yes. The three-judge panel for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, which on April 29 voted 2-1 to temporarily stay Judge Susan Nelson’s order to enjoin the NFL lockout, has just extended the stay until June. On June 3 the panel will hear oral arguments from both the NFL and the players on the merits of the order and will make its decision shortly thereafter. That decision will be the most important development since the CBA expired in March.

While a four- or five-week extension of the lockout may not sound momentous, it will further test the patience of NFL players. They will remain barred from interacting in any meaningful way with their teams. As a result, free agents will remain unemployed, rookies would not become acclimated to their teams and players eligible for off-season bonuses would be denied those bonuses.

More troubling for players, they may fear that they are headed into another losing vote before the same three-judge panel. In their 2-1 opinion, Judges Steven Colloton and William Benton unmistakably warned that, “The league has made a strong showing that it is likely to succeed on the merits.” While the players could still prevail before the panel, the odds appear stacked against them.

The players could also reason that if the panel was sympathetic to their legal arguments, it would have maintained Judge Nelson’s order until a hearing. Such a concern seems plausible when considering the concept of irreparable harm, which refers to a type of harm that cannot be remedied by money damages and which serves as a key justification for a preliminary injunction. In their opinion, Judges Colloton and Benton highlighted how the league would probably suffer irreparable harm if forced to allow player transactions that would “occur only with an injunction against the lockout.”

In contrast, the judges appeared skeptical of Judge Nelson’s reasoning that locked-out players would suffer irreparable harm when denied opportunities to sign with teams and train with them. The judges likely determined that players would still have time to sign with teams if the panel decides in June to prohibit the lockout. Put another way, the harm suffered by players due to the lockout may be reparable in May, even if that harm becomes irreparable this summer or particularly in the fall. To support that logic, consider that NFL training camps do not begin until the last few days of July (the Colts and Giants, in fact, do not start their training camps until Aug. 1). So if next month the Eighth Circuit sustains Judge Nelson’s order to enjoin the lockout, players would still have about six weeks before the start of training camp to sign with teams and get their situations in order. The harm they suffered in May as a result of an illegal lockout would thus be reparable.

2. What happens if the NFL wins before the Eighth Circuit in June?

If the NFL defeats Judge Nelson’s preliminary injunction order, it will mean that the NFL could continue its lockout, probably for as long as it wants. Absent an unlikely re-hearing by the Eighth Circuit or an even less probable hearing by the U.S. Supreme Court, the lockout could continue at least into next year, which is probably the earliest trial date for Tom Brady et al. v. NFL. With the prospect of no NFL income in 2011, players would become much more willing to accept a new collective bargaining agreement, even one with terms clearly advantageous to the league. Also of benefit to the league, a new CBA would render the Brady litigation moot.

3. What happens if the players win before the Eighth Circuit in June?

If the preliminary injunction is placed back in effect, it would mean that, absent an unlikely re-hearing before the Eighth Circuit, an equally unlikely intervention by the Supreme Court or the league pursuing a radical path – a total shutdown of operations – the lockout would be over and players would go back to work. The NFL would at that point be enjoined from conducting a lockout. While the NFL could eventually regain the right to conduct a lockout should it prevail in a trial of Brady v. NFL, such a trial, as noted above, is unlikely to occur until next year. The NFL would thus have to play a 2011 season.

In this scenario, it is likely the NFL would agree on a new CBA with the players in June or July. If the league does not sign a new CBA, its restraints on trade – including restricted free agency and the salary cap – would be subject to antitrust scrutiny. As I explained in a recent column, many core components of NFL football could fail to satisfy antitrust scrutiny and failure would result in treble damages, possibly in the billions of dollars.

In short, if the Eighth Circuit rules in favor of the players in June, the players would be in the driver’s seat to extract a very favorable CBA – and to do so quickly.

4. You mention that the NFL could completely shut down operations if it loses before the Eighth Circuit – how would that work?

As originally reported by Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, the NFL could engage in a total shutdown of business operations if it loses before the Eighth Circuit next month. A total shutdown would mean the indefinite suspension of all NFL activities. Essentially, everyone and everything connected to the NFL would be locked out. Contracts for coaches and staff would be suspended indefinitely – meaning no one gets paid – and team offices would be locked. While it is unclear if the total shutdown would include the league’s separate and wholly-owned entities, such as NFL Properties or NFL Charities, the contractual obligations between the league and teams with sponsors and other groups might also be jeopardized. The shutdown would continue until the players agreed on a new CBA.

The threat of a total shutdown is likely more of a device to obtain negotiating leverage than an actual strategy. If the league was to conduct a total shutdown, new types of litigation would spawn and the situation would become far more complicated, contentious and without a clear end in sight.

For starters, the Eighth Circuit might view a total shutdown as an attempt to circumvent its order that the league lift the lockout. If the Eighth Circuit came to such a conclusion, it could request enforcement assistance from the U.S. Marshal Service, the federal agency entrusted with enforcing court orders. The marshals could compel owners and league officials to continue operations under threat of jail or fines.

Second, the players would seek another preliminary injunction, this time to stop the NFL from completely shutting down. The success of the players in getting the lockout lifted by the Eight Circuit would lead them to use “res judicata” – meaning if the Eighth Circuit and Judge Nelson conclude that the players’ lockout was illegal, then a total shutdown (or total lockout) should also be deemed illegal.

Staff of NFL teams could also bring litigation, arguing that a shutdown wrongly invalidates their lawfully-signed contracts. If sponsorship contracts are also suspended, sponsors could likewise file lawsuits seeking recovery.

In response to these lawsuits, the NFL would likely cite contractual language that would enable them to suspend or void contracts in the event of a labor dispute. Sometimes such language refers to a “force majeure clause” in a contract. A force majeure clause would relieve the NFL and its teams of performing any contractual obligation in the event of a labor crisis or an unforeseeable event.

The problem for the NFL would be that force majeure clauses usually refer to disruptions not caused by the defendant – here the NFL. A total shutdown of operations would be executed at the hands of the NFL, albeit in response to a labor crisis that also involves the players. To say the least, a total shutdown would give rise to a dicey situation and is unlikely to occur.

5. You also mention the possibility of other appeals. How would they work?

After the Eighth Circuit makes its decision in June, the losing party would preserve the right to pursue an interlocutory appeal, which refers to appeals made before the final outcome in a case. Two appeals could be made by the losing party, neither of which would likely succeed.

En banc re-hearing

Expect the party which loses before the Eighth Circuit to immediately seek a rehearing of the matter before all judges on the Eighth Circuit. “En banc rehearings,” as they are called, are seldom granted. A minimum of six of the 11 active judges on the Eighth Circuit would have to support the granting of one.

Requests for en banc rehearings are usually denied unless there are extraordinary circumstances. One such circumstance is an “inter-circuit conflict,” whereby a three-judge panel in one circuit construes federal law differently than in another circuit. The concern with such a conflict is that federal law – which in theory should apply evenly across the country – would impact citizens differently depending on which federal circuit they reside. Lawyers for the losing party (be it the league or players) would likely highlight language in other cases involving decertification and lockouts that could be construed to show a conflict. The odds would be stacked against them.

While neither the league nor players would be poised to obtain the requisite votes for an en banc rehearing, the players would seem particularly disadvantaged. Assuming, for a moment, that the three panel judges again vote 2-1 in favor of the league, Judge Kermit Bye – who dissented in the granting of the stay – would likely offer his support for an en banc rehearing, while Judges Colloton and Benton – who voted to grant the stay – would likely oppose. Players would thus need support from five of the remaining nine active judges. Eight of those nine – like Judges Colloton and Benton – were nominated by Republican presidents. To be sure, the party affiliation of the president who nominated a federal judge is far from a perfect predictor of the judge’s views on NFL and the law. We know that from Judge David Doty, whom the NFL and NFLPA selected in 1993 to hear labor disputes. Although he was nominated to the bench by President Ronald Reagan, he has proven to be very pro-player. Still, the NFL would be confident in how the Eighth Circuit judges would vote.

Assuming the losing party fails to obtain an en banc rehearing, the party could then pursue an interlocutory appeal before the U.S. Supreme Court. Its odds of getting heard by the Supreme Court, let alone winning an appeal, would be remote. The Supreme Court accepts only one or two percent of writs of certiorari. Also, the Supreme Court usually declines to review interlocutory orders unless, as it has previously stated, “[I]t is necessary to prevent extraordinary inconvenience and embarrassment in the conduct of the cause.”

The Supreme Court has accepted writs for a variety of reasons, but there are two typical rationales: to resolve a split in authority among federal circuits or to address a novel question of law. It is possible that the Supreme Court could deem it appropriate to address the murky relationship between labor law and antitrust law in the context of a professional sports league lockout and a players’ association decertification, especially considering the NBA and its players association are headed down the same path and likely in a different federal circuit, which could present a circuit split.

The Supreme Court could also find it important to assess the potential unfairness of a players’ association using the court system to obtain relief under antitrust law and the league using an administrative agency (in this case, the National Labor Relations Board – the NLRB) to do so under labor law, when only the players’ complaint may get heard before the start of the 2011 season.

Consider that while both a federal district judge and federal court of appeals will have addressed the players’ antitrust complaints by next month, the NLRB, which is investigating the NFL’s unfair labor practices charge against the NFLPA and its decertification, could take until the fall or winter before it asks an administrative law judge to preside over a trial. Given that the key date in this labor dispute is the start of the 2011 season, the NFL’s unfair labor practices charge may be rendered inconsequential by the litigation/administrative calendar. This is problematic for two reasons: 1) the administrative law process is supposed to be faster, not slower, than a traditional court hearing; and 2) the relative slowness of the NLRB process could give the players a huge tactical advantage should the Eighth Circuit rule in the players’ favor.

6. How does Judge Doty’s decision on TV broadcasting rights fit into the players’ strategy?

Even if the players fail to convince the Eighth Circuit to bar the lockout, they still possess a major bargaining card: Judge Doty’s decision that the league cannot rely on $4 billion in network television revenues in the event of a lost 2011 season. The players convinced Judge Doty that the guaranteed payments violated the recently expired collective bargaining agreement. On May 12, Judge Doty held a hearing to determine fines assessed to the league and how to allocate the $4 billion. Depending on Judge Doty’s configuration of damages, owners could become substantially more motivated to play a 2011 season.

The NFL, however, will likely appeal Judge Doty’s decision to the Eighth Circuit – the same circuit that may be poised to rule in favor of the league and its lockout – once Judge Doty issues a final, appealable order. Plus, even if Judge Doty’s decision stands, owners, though undoubtedly harmed by the loss of some of the $4 billion, may not view the lost TV revenue as sufficient justification to capitulate on their more substantial demands. With their enormous wealth and varied sources of non-NFL income, owners seem less likely to “blink first” in the negotiations.

7. Will the players stay unified during the lockout?

If the players lose before the Eighth Circuit next month, the unified players’ front may splinter into factions. Here’s why:

The major advantage for players to decertify was that it empowered them to bring a very threatening antitrust case against the league. Decertification meant that the NFLPA no longer represented NFL players in negotiations with the NFL over employment conditions. As a result, the federal labor exemption, which immunizes collectively bargained rules from antitrust scrutiny, was taken off the table, thus exposing core parts of NFL football – the draft, the salary cap, restricted free agency, etc. – to antitrust review. The NFL is very vulnerable to losing an antitrust case, and a loss would command that the owners pay treble damages, likely in the billions of dollars.

The decertification strategy seemed successful on April 25, when Judge Nelson issued a preliminary injunction against the NFL lockout. The injunction meant the lockout was lifted, the league had to figure out new employment rules which would prove compatible with federal antitrust law and players were positioned to eventually win their antitrust litigation. The players, in other words, had all the leverage.

Everything changed on April 29, when the Eighth Circuit granted the temporary stay of the preliminary injunction. If the Eighth Circuit rules in favor of the league next month, and assuming neither the Eighth Circuit grants an en banc rehearing nor the Supreme Court favorably intervenes on behalf of players, the antitrust litigation path would essentially be punted to 2012 or beyond, when a trial on Brady v. NFL might happen. By that time, some current players will be too old to play; others might fail to stay in top condition and not be able to get it back.

Such a situation could cause the players to rethink the decertification strategy and possibly contemplate recertification.

One leading reason to remain decertified is that recertification would support the NFL’s argument that decertification was a sham. The NFL has filed an unfair labor practices charge with the NLRB on such a ground; the NLRB will likely decide on the charge by early next year. If NFL players recertify soon after their antitrust strategy failed, it would imply that decertification was only pursued to bring an antitrust case. That would play right into the owners’ wheelhouse for the NLRB charge.

But there are downsides to remaining decertified. Foremost, players have abandoned the collective bargaining framework and are essentially acting on their own or, if they so choose, as factions of players. There is already discussion of players abandoning the NFLPA/Brady litigation and pursuing their own strategies, with their own attorneys and advisors. Expect that discussion to only amplify should the Eighth Circuit rule against the players in June. The NFLPA cannot prevent any players from negotiating with teams or the league; recertification would be required to do so. The NFL could take advantage of that situation by reaching a deal with one group of players and those players then convincing others to recertify, but perhaps with different NFLPA leadership in place.

This situation is unique and could place the NFLPA in a difficult position. Normally when there are splinter groups of employees, the employer takes a major risk by speaking with them, because Section 9(a) of the National Labor Relations Act commands that the employer speak to the duly-elected union representatives. Here, however, the NFLPA maintains that it has disclaimed interest in representing NFL players. In fact, if the NFLPA now tries to deny a splinter group a seat at the table, the NFL could argue this supports its position that the NFLPA’s disclaimer was a sham.

Then again, the NFL may be wary of meeting with the splinter group. If the league does so, it could signal that the NFL acknowledges that the NFLPA has disclaimed interest in representing NFL players. Such a signal would undercut the league’s argument to the NLRB that the decertification was a sham and that the NFLPA only decertified for purposes of bringing an antitrust case.

In short, if the players lose before the Eighth Circuit next month, the players and the league will have to think long and hard, not only about what to offer in a negotiation, but with whom to negotiate.

8. Are there third parties who could complicate the NFL’s choice to cancel a 2011 season?

Often lost in the discussion of whether the owners or players will agree on a deal to play the 2011 season is the public’s stake in the matter. While the public does not enjoy legal standing in a general sense to bring a lawsuit, certain individuals and communities might. So, too, might banks and lenders.

Ticket holders

For starters, Ken Lanci, a holder of 10 Personal Seat Licenses to Cleveland Browns games, has filed a lawsuit demanding that games be played in the fall. The lawsuit faces a number of obstacles, including that his contract with the Browns reportedly includes language that bars such a claim and that no games have been missed (yet). Still, if these types of lawsuits are filed across the country against NFL teams, owners could find themselves dealing with a good deal of unwanted and aggravating litigation.

Communities that publicly financed stadiums

Communities that have spent hundreds of millions of tax dollars to help finance the construction of privately owned NFL stadiums may be another legally entitled stakeholder in a 2011 season. These communities committed tax dollars to ensure that their favorite teams would not relocate. Tax dollars were also provided on the expectation that a new stadium would generate jobs and economic activity in the surrounding area. Without football games this fall, much of that activity and many of those jobs – be they restaurant workers, street vendors, parking attendants and many others – could be lost. Making matters worse, many of these communities have laid off teachers and others to avoid budget shortfalls or the imposition of tax increases.

A community may thus argue that teams have violated the terms of their public assistance – which was premised on the playing of games – by not playing games. Like lawsuits brought by aggrieved ticket holders, these types of lawsuits would probably be barred by a lack of guarantee that games be played as a condition of the assistance, but they are conceivable.

Private Lending Institutions

A lost 2011 season would cause team owners to lose substantial revenue, be it revenue evenly shared among teams (such as national TV and radio), revenue partially shared/partially retained (ticket sales) or revenue retained by teams (concessions, parking and local media). While owners would still generate some revenue during a lockout, such as through sponsorships, and would avoid paying players’ salaries, Judge Doty’s decision means they will not be able to rely on $4 billion in national TV revenue. The private institutions that lent these owners money will still demand payments. Should any owner be unable to satisfy those demands because of a lost season, the private institutions could take action against the owner. Such action is unlikely to compel the playing of games, but would motivate the owner to encourage his/her fellow owners to play a 2011 season.

Michael McCann is a sports law professor and Sports Law Institute director at Vermont Law School and the distinguished visiting Hall of Fame Professor of Law at Mississippi College School of Law.

Any chance of the bullet point version please, CLD?

Story Highlights
[list]

[]A June 3 decision will be the most important news since the CBA expired in March
[
]If the NFL wins, it could continue the lockout, probably for as long as it wants
[*]If the players win, the lockout likely would be over and they could go back to work
[/list]

CLD, do you think there’s a real threat of no football this season? :blink:

Real Threat? Without a doubt.
Realistically though, if there is still a lockout in a couple of months the players will come around in September when they get no paychecks.
It will simply come down to who runs out of money first.

Peyton Manning etc… may be on huge contracts but the run of the mill player could not afford to go without pay and lose a year of their career, not to mention career earnings.
Cris Collinsworth is predicting that there will be 1 week of free agency, 1 preseason game and 10 regular season games with a full playoff.

The players need the June 3 ruling to go their way. If it does fully, then they will essentially be paid during the lockout and the owners can’t afford that so they will make a deal with the players.
If it goes the way of the owners then the players will have to cave. Lower paid players will be nagged to death by their baby mammas and they will force a deal, even if it favours the owners in a big way.

The lawsuit that the players have brought against the owners will not be heard until some time next year. I can’t see it going that long for the reasons I have outlined.
However, if it did, the likelihood is that the NFL would become a league without a salary cap and without a draft and would be dominated by the biggest spenders like soccer over here and baseball over there. Smaller markets like Jacksonville, Buffalo and Green Bay would be cut adrift.

Apparently there is a strike on the way in basketball too.