The Magic of the 2017 FA Cup

Bob Bradley relegated Swansea not Guidolin or Clement

You haven’t a clue mate, I suspect you actually do but you’re blinded by bitterness.
Dyche is more likely to have a statue erected to him than be sacked. He’s keeping them up. Conte would have had different expectations and the other two were bringing their teams down.

I’m not commenting on Dyche, good or bad, so you haven’t been heeding my posts.

I’m just commenting on why Boycott has contradicting viewpoints depending on the nationality of the manager.

Boycott was ridiculing Conte after 6 games saying he was being found out in a serious football environment. He was defending Swansea’s decision to sack Guidolin but apparently he has a completely different viewpoint to British managers. It’s insular and xenophobic.

He’s ducked the issue as usual and given you some lame backtrack about Wenger presiding over wins at Middlesbrough and Man City in the last week and now been on target for a 3 in a row wins if they win their next game. Even by his standards and all the clampings he’s had today, that is lame.

He responded by answering a point i never made

Did I comment on the correctness of the decision to fire Guidolin, good or bad? Looks like you haven’t been heeding my posts.

Yes, you said he can’t have any complaints about it.

Should Dyche be sacked?

No Dyche shouldn’t be sacked, he’s doing an excellent job at Burnley. If he is sacked though he can’t have any complaints. That’s the crazy and lucrative world of EPL management he’s signed up to, to earn his living.

deary me

He’s got 13 points form the last 15 league games, Burnley are in free fall and now in a serious relegation battle. That’s just a fact.

You were defending Swanea’s decision to sack Guidolin after he got 4 points from the opening 7 games after he saved Swansea from the drop last season.

That doesn’t square off. I can only assume nationality is the only motive for such a blatant double standard.

Dyche’s mandate at the start of the season was to keep Burnley in the top flight, a feat they hadn’t achieved since 1974/75. He’s possibly already achieved that with the 36 points accrued to date. You’re the expert on the net spend of respective EPL sides, but on the basis that Burnley doubled their record transfer fee at the start of the season when they signed Jeff Hendrick for £10 million, I would hazard an educated guess that Burnley are the weakest financially of all 20 EPL clubs.

On the basis of Swansea’s previous five seasons in the EPL (12th place finish in 2015/16, an 8th place finish in 2014/15, a 12th place finish in 2013/14, a 9th place finish in 2012/13 and an 11th place finish in 2011/12) expectations were a lot higher than mere survival at the start of the season in South Wales. After a run of 1 point in 6 games (including a dreadful 0-2 home loss to Hull and a loss to a previously winless Southampton) which saw Swansea plummet into the relegation zone, the Swansea hierarchy obviously lost faith in Guidolin’s ability to do the job. Guidolin can’t have any complaints.

1 Like

How were their mandates different? Swansea were in serious relegation trouble last season until Guidolin came in, he was sacked after a bad run of form through a very difficult fixture period. Dyche is now overseeing a prolonged bad run of form that saw them go from relative mid table safety to being sucked into a relegation dogfight.

You are all over the place here, either it’s right for both or it’s wrong for both. Make your mind up.

Very different targets and expectations at Swansea and Burnley.

Here’s what Burnley chairman, Mike Garlick had to say at the start of the season. Survival very much the only goal identified or spoken about.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11708/10530652/burnley-hoping-to-make-three-or-four-new-signings-says-chairman-mike-garlick

Burnley hope to make a minimum of “three or four” new signings before the summer transfer window closes, according to club chairman Mike Garlick.

The Clarets have signed just two senior players since gaining promotion back to the Premier League - Charlton duo Johann Berg Gudmundsson and Nick Pope, while Jon Flanagan has arrived at Turf Moor on a season-long loan from Liverpool.

Sean Dyche is keen to secure a new midfielder before the season starts, following the departure of Joey Barton to Rangers earlier this summer, and Garlick expects the club to sign a number of targets before deadline day on August 31.

Burnley hope to make a minimum of “three or four” new signings before the summer transfer window closes, according to club chairman Mike Garlick.

The Clarets have signed just two senior players since gaining promotion back to the Premier League - Charlton duo Johann Berg Gudmundsson and Nick Pope, while Jon Flanagan has arrived at Turf Moor on a season-long loan from Liverpool.

Sean Dyche is keen to secure a new midfielder before the season starts, following the departure of Joey Barton to Rangers earlier this summer, and Garlick expects the club to sign a number of targets before deadline day on August 31.

Some Clarets supporters have voiced their frustrations at the lack of new arrivals at Turf Moor this summer.

And, although Garlick admits the transfer window has so far proved to be frustrating, he attributes the delay in signings to Euro 2016, rather than a lack of impetus at the Lancashire club.

“July 1st, any manager, any chairman would like their team in place then they can work with them over the summer and develop their squad into the shape they want,” he added.

“The Euros slowed that up but it’s like that most years in reality. We just have to get on with it, we get out of bed every day, get on the phone, try and do things and if it doesn’t happen that day we try and do it the day after.”

Burnley manager Sean Dyche is aiming to build a squad capable of surviving relegation from English football’s top flight for the third time of asking.

And Garlick is confident the Clarets can avoid the drop, despite their relative lack of spending this summer.

"I’ve been with the club 10 years as a director, co-chairman and now chairman and I think we’ve got to make it third time lucky, we’ve got to aim to stay there this time," he said.

Meanwhile over at Swansea (where they finished 12th in 2015/16, 8th in 2014/15, 12th in 2013/14, 9th in 2012/13 and 11th in 2011/12 and won the League Cup in 2013) new owners more coy about the targets for the season but no talk of just dodging relegation and surviving but rather of driving the club on.

Speaking for the first time about his consortium’s takeover of Swansea City, Jason Levien gave a telling answer when he was asked about the Americans’ investment plans.

Midway through a polished, assured address to the media, Levien gestured towards Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins and said: “The biggest signing we’ve made so far is making sure the guy to my right [stays].”

Swansea are embarking on a new era after a group of American investors, led by Levien and his business partner Steve Kaplan, bought a controlling stake of 68% in the club.

Although this is a step into the unknown for the Swans, they will at least have the familiar guiding force of Jenkins, who will remain in the role of chairman he has held since 2002.

This is also uncharted territory for the Americans. While Levien, managing general partner of Major League Soccer side DC United, and Kaplan, vice-chairman of NBA franchise Memphis Grizzlies, are experienced in American sport, this is their first foray into British football.

Levien first visited Swansea in September 2015 and, since news of his consortium’s takeover emerged in April, the nature of the investment has been the subject of much scrutiny.

Swansea’s fans and Supporters Trust wanted to know how - and, crucially, how much - the Americans would spend, many wondered why they wanted to invest, while others asked how they could bring more success to the Liberty Stadium. This was Levien’s first step towards answering all those questions.

The Trust issued a statement after Levien’s briefing indicating they are expecting fresh talks with the investors this week.

Writing an open letter to fans to announce the completion of their takeover, Levien and Kaplan stressed that their priority would be Swansea’s performances on the pitch.

To replicate or improve on last season’s 12th-place finish in the Premier League, the Swans will need to invest in their squad.

While strikers Alberto Paloschi and Eder have left - and a third, Bafetimbi Gomis, seems set to follow them through the door - the only signings so far have been midfielder Leroy Fer, defender Mike van der Hoorn and goalkeeper Mark Birighitti, none of whom are expected to be first-team fixtures.

Swansea are weighing up a move for their former midfielder Joe Allen as well as a couple of forwards, and Jenkins has said the American investment will accelerate the club’s transfer activity.

Levien and Kaplan are understood to be eager to expand Swansea’s scouting network, though they will leave player recruitment as the domain of the experienced Jenkins.

And when he was asked just how much head coach Francesco Guidolin will have to spend, Levien was sensibly coy.

“I think it would be a mistake to put a specific number on that because part of our competitiveness is not alerting our competitors and other folks in the industry about what exactly our plans are,” he said.

“We’re going to be careful about that but we certainly want to make strategic investments in the club and see how it grows from that.”

Having seen mixed results under American ownership for the likes of Liverpool, Manchester United and Aston Villa, it was perhaps understandable there was a degree of scepticism from Swansea’s fans about their new investors.

The vast majority will reserve judgement, though there has been an undercurrent of discontent with the Supporters’ Trust expressing its “disappointment” about an alleged lack of communication from the Americans during negotiations.

Levien responded to those claims by emphasising the Trust’s “huge” importance and how impressed he had been during “more than half a dozen,” meetings with its members.

Swansea are the only Premier League club with a fans’ representative on the board, and the Americans recognise how significant that unique quality is to the club’s soul and its standing in the local community.

Levien recalled his first visit to Swansea last year: "Huw picked me up from the train station and we went to the training ground, he gave me a tour of the Liberty, which I think is an impressive stadium.

"When he dropped me off at the station, I walked the city, walked to the university and towards the Gower. I just thought it was a special place.

“The last 15 years, what this club has accomplished, and the passion this community has for its football club - there’s a lot of passion all around the UK for their football clubs but I think Swansea is top of that list.”

Measuring success for Swansea can be a tricky task. Jenkins often mentions how staying in the Premier League is the initial aim at the start of any season and, for a club of the Swans’ stature in a division so wealthy and competitive, it is a sensible approach.

However, as Swansea prepare for a sixth successive campaign in the top flight, dare they dream of more?

After all, they won the League Cup in 2013 and impressed in the Europa League the following season, while Leicester’s remarkable title win last term confounded all expectations and shattered long-held perceptions of the Premier League’s upper echelons as an impenetrably exclusive members’ club.

With Leicester’s unlikely triumph - and how it may irrevocably alter how other Premier League clubs quantify success - in mind, Levien was perhaps wise not to set a target for Swansea.

"On the pitch, we’d like to see the club continue to flourish and challenge every season for success. How we measure that success, we’re going to figure out over time," he said.

"I think we want to take a measured and thoughtful approach, and think about sustainability and competitiveness. I think the club has done that over the last decade with great success.

"We’re looking to add value but we’re not looking for a massive change in what they’ve done. In fact, we’ve really bought into their philosophy and Huw’s vision for the club.

“We’d like to see the club in a better place in five years in terms of improving things on the commercial side, where we think we can add some value.”

It was another subject which Levien dealt with in accomplished fashion, answering articulately and thoroughly but without revealing sensitive detail.

Yet this elegant veneer should not disguise Levien’s fierce, clear-eyed determination - and his ambition for Swansea.

“We’re in it to win and we certainly hate to lose,” he added.

“But we want to be careful to let strategy and mindfulness trump our emotion in making decisions.”

So Swansea after little investment in the summer, after fighting relegation the previous season and losing their captain and best player from last season had different targets than promoted Burnley who broke their transfer record three times this season?

Bizarre outlook.

As I’ve already illustrated, the Burnley chariman expressly stated objective at the start of the season was just to stay up. Sean Dyche still looks well placed to deliver on that.

Judging by the managerial merry-go-round at Swansea, the new American owners would appear to have had much loftier objectives than Mike Garlick and the board at Burnley.

And they now look in freefall and in serious danger of going down?

Swansea should never have sacked Guido to begin with, 27 games later, ÂŁ20m later and 2 managers later they are no better off.

The people’s choice have struck first blood.

Tremendous refereeing by Anthony Taylor to allow Alexis Sanchez’s goal.

1 Like

I really should have christened my daughter Alexis.

#lets do this for Arsene

1 Like

Good goal for the sake of the game .

Pedro has lovely feet.

1 Like