The Negative Irish

Article in the Times suggesting we are negative, whinging fuckers. Study suggests that the Irish are a pessimistic race determined to find a problem in every solution.

We are a nation of brooding pessimists, research finds

Irish Times - March 25th

CARL O’BRIEN Social Affairs Correspondent

MAYBE ITS our gloomy weather, 800 years of colonial oppression, or just listening to George Lee for too long.

Whichever, it is official: were a nation of brooding pessimists.

New international research shows Irish people have the darkest outlook on the economy and believe the current crisis will last longer here than anywhere else.

Thats according to a poll of 19 countries on economic confidence. The Irish survey of almost 1,000 adults was undertaken by Behaviour Attitudes last month. A majority of Irish adults believe the situation is the worst it has ever been in their lifetime, while about half believe things will get worse in six months.

When asked about the inevitable upturn, it seems the Irish habit of finding a dark cloud in every silver lining continues: most feel it will last well beyond two years.

In contrast, people in the US are positively upbeat, with a majority expecting their personal circumstances will improve over the next six months. Even the Russians, not known for their sunny disposition, are more optimistic on this front than the Irish.

In most polls you can expect the odd discordant voice, someone who for reasons of bias, ignorance or just pure devilment takes an opposing view from the majority. Not this one. How many people feel the economy in Ireland is getting stronger, or even a little stronger? Zero per cent.

Despite the overwhelming sense of gloom at home, we seem a little reluctant to change our spending ways. Were less likely than other countries to cut back on food or clothing, and were less likely to work longer hours to make up for lost income. Irish people are making some sacrifices, though. When asked theoretically what would be the first thing you would cut back on, holidays topped the list.

The extent of the national depression is likely to take many by surprise. It seems like only a few short months ago we were the most optimistic people in the world, living for the moment, seeing a sun-lit upland where others only saw gloom and privation. All that has changed.

There is one reassuring constant, though: the Government is always to blame. In fact, people are more likely to blame the Government for the economic crisis than either the banks, financial institutions, the Central Bank or the culture of corporate greed combined.

Some 39 per cent in Ireland blame the Government, compared with just 5 per cent in Germany.

But even in these parlous times, its good to see someone has a sense of humour. When asked about the Governments response to the crisis, 1 per cent said it was doing too much.

Sure, what would the Times know - they’re a crowd of cunts

Seriously though, I was chatting to a mate of mine over the weekend who’s working in London now. He was asking how things are at home etc. He’d gone travelling for a year and was promised a job when he came back but there was nothing for him when he came back last July. Has been working in London since August and said he can’t get over how the people in the UK are reacting to all this downturn crap in comparison to the Irish people.

While things are 2 or 3 times as bad in the UK the media are trying to move forward and try and bring some level of positivity to the environment, whereas in Ireland we’re all completely caught up with the negativity. Its actually getting ridiculous to the extent that I hardly listen to the news or read anything other than the sports section anymore cos each journalist is trying to outdo the other with negativity.

[quote=“Mac”]Seriously though, I was chatting to a mate of mine over the weekend who’s working in London now. He was asking how things are at home etc. He’d gone travelling for a year and was promised a job when he came back but there was nothing for him when he came back last July. Has been working in London since August and said he can’t get over how the people in the UK are reacting to all this downturn crap in comparison to the Irish people.

While things are 2 or 3 times as bad in the UK the media are trying to move forward and try and bring some level of positivity to the environment, whereas in Ireland we’re all completely caught up with the negativity. Its actually getting ridiculous to the extent that I hardly listen to the news or read anything other than the sports section anymore cos each journalist is trying to outdo the other with negativity.[/quote]

I would actually find the Brits even more negative than the Irish, a right nation of whingers altogether. It seems that we’re catching up with them though, particularly the newly professional classes who’re whining about negative equity and potential tax hikes whereas 15 years ago we wouldn’t have stopped drinking after the rugby yet.

[quote=“Mac”]Seriously though, I was chatting to a mate of mine over the weekend who’s working in London now. He was asking how things are at home etc. He’d gone travelling for a year and was promised a job when he came back but there was nothing for him when he came back last July. Has been working in London since August and said he can’t get over how the people in the UK are reacting to all this downturn crap in comparison to the Irish people.

While things are 2 or 3 times as bad in the UK the media are trying to move forward and try and bring some level of positivity to the environment, whereas in Ireland we’re all completely caught up with the negativity. Its actually getting ridiculous to the extent that I hardly listen to the news or read anything other than the sports section anymore cos each journalist is trying to outdo the other with negativity.[/quote]

the Irish will always want someone to blame, will always want to put the boot into someone.
this does affect us from dealing with an issue, stops us from moving on constructively. we find it easier to sit back and point the finger and moan.
maybe its because its easier to look back than to look forward, maybe laziness,i don’t know

I don’t agree with this at all. The english are bitter whinging bastards, you only have to watch the world cup with english people to see that. The Irish complaining is a more gallows humour thing. Putting ourselves down with a bit of a laugh because we don’t like people getting big headed. The english and the scottish are just plain miserable though. Don’t know about the welsh.

Tis good you don’t like to label certain people with stereotypes though isn’t it?

Have you lived in England or been there for a prolonged length of time? How does watching a world cup with England people summarise their entire country?

[quote=“Mac”]Tis good you don’t like to label certain people with stereotypes though isn’t it?

Have you lived in England or been there for a prolonged length of time? How does watching a world cup with England people summarise their entire country?[/quote]

I can only speak from experience. Have cousins there and used to go over for a lot of summers. Attitude towards national teams is a good way to take the pulse of a nation. Very negative in general. So quick to turn on their teams, even during games. Doesn’t seem to be as bad here.

Ever heard of the Dublin footballers? :rolleyes:

I think the people who might talk about the Sports teams are a lot different to the people who are reporting on the state of the economy though.

Just seems to be a lot more doom and gloom and scaremongering in Ireland than in the UK even though they’re a lot further up shit creek than we are.

I’d agree with you on that Mac, this country has talked itself into a fooking recession. A bit more optimism and promiscuous wimin would turn this thing around in a hack.

Is the recession not over yet MBB, I thought it ended when we won the Grand Slam?

No that just united the nation. The recession will be over when HRH Tony O’Reilly is back on the Forbes billionaires list.

Ah fuck

I couldnt agree more. People in this country are far too pessimistic. For the past year all we have heard is recession, recession. We should be trying to get ouselves out of the recession.

I have a terribly pessimistic outlook on the economy and on the immediate short-term future of the nation in general, but I still went out and got pissed on Friday night, Saturday night, Sunday night, and last night. Going for a few after work today as well. We all have to play our part.

Thats more like it. Keep up the good work

Feck sake, this thread is going to be shite. Surely there’s some way of discontinuing this thread, although somehow I doubt it.

thats more of the negativity we are talking about. why can you not be positive for a change?

Sure even if they made a decent thread out of it Pikeman, what good would it be to them?

Aye, they’re better off giving up altogether Puke.