The north/really good looking fellas

Bravo​:clap::clap::clap:

You got that 100 pc correct compadre :ireland::clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

I wa

That’s my old club in Derry city
90 per cent of players / administrators etc in my time were IRA/ INLA volunteers,or ex prisoners
We never sang rebel songs,
Had a Protestant QUB student on the team,
We were v nationalist but never had any inclination to sing any rebel songs,
In fact unlike Cork when I moved up ,
You’d never ever hear anyone on the streets singing da songs,
Only occasionally in the pub,
Easter, or internment day

Not many public house republicans up north in my day

There was a war on
Bleak bleak times
GAA was a safety valve for me and I’m sure for many others,
Got a job out of it coaching full time in tbe schools until the cross border grants ran out,
Then back to normal life,
GAA is everything to a large majority of nationalist ppl up north,
Mostly unfortunately outside Derry city
But it’s growing

3 Likes

I’ve never seen you deal with points other than the same tactics as Glenshane.

Back a few months ago when I questioned why it was funded you admitted that it shouldn’t be allowed to persist as is if the same thing continues to happen but yet here you are again deflecting.

I remain of the view Feile shouldn’t get funding for the concert when them Dublin idiots are allowed on stage. I think overall the festival was a huge success though.
It’s not deflecting to suggest that all focus being on the events of the final night may be due to jealousy and an agenda from certain quarters, particularly when issues like those in Derry at the weekend are ignored completely by the same people.

“One of the greatest advantages of the totalitarian elites of the twenties and thirties was to turn any statement of fact into a question of motive.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism

Why do you lads think you are informing people in the south when you shite on about toxic Loyalist/Unionist culture?

It’s that lifelong mentality of neediness and combativeness I guess. Criticisms of this toxicity is not controversial in the south, yet you lads drone on about it when you feel the need to defend the indefensible.

You also seem to think the “Dublin” thing is a W, I don’t recall ever saying that the North has a monopoly on sectarian and regressive morons. It does have a disproportionate number of people who seem to defend it though- how’s that “progressive” politician Declan Kearney you cited doing these days? I notice that he tweeted a eulogy to that fella who caused a young mother to burn alive in front of her child a few days ago.

Welcome to the West Brit community, Joe.

1 Like

But but but but but… themuns…

1 Like

Obviously the 35.2 million disagree

Obviously 35.2 million disagree

That’s not how it works

Why not?

St Sylvesters discos back in the 80’s always finished the night with The Green Fields of France after It’s a long way to Tipperary. We’d all stand to attention. If you flinched, your membership would be revoked.

3 Likes

In fairness it comes as no surprise that the youth of Malahide chose to honour the fallen troops of the Great War

6 Likes

And now some of them just want France to revert back to four green fields

It doesn’t mention the RA for one thing , though when asked for rebel songs in a pub, this one is always a popular one.
I don’t think the Green Fields of France could offend anyone.

It’s not a rebel song mate

2 Likes

I know that, but the barstoolers always asked for it when I was playing gigs. “a few ribil songs der kid. green fielts a france”

1 Like

Correct. It’s an anti war song written by the Australian song writer Eric Boyle who also wrote that other mainstay of late 1970s early 1980s sing songs The Band Played Waltzing Matilda. At one time I could sing every word of both and they are so etched in my mind I’m sure with very little effort I could sing both again .

2 Likes

Two of the greatest (folk) songs in the English language for me.

The Pogues version is also top drawer.

1 Like