The Official All-Ireland Senior Football Championship 2013 Thread

I didn’t see any football last night and just going through a recording of the Sunday Game now. That was some goal by Meehan at the end of the game.

What the fuck is Earley wearing? Is that a polka dot handkerchief in his pocket? Fuckhead.

[quote=“Mac, post: 808124, member: 109”]I didn’t see any football last night and just going through a recording of the Sunday Game now. That was some goal by Meehan at the end of the game.

What the fuck is Earley wearing? Is that a polka dot handkerchief in his pocket? Fuckhead.[/quote]
Been sayin it for years what that man is.

Did he rob Evanne on you or something?

Ah God no, nothing of the sort.

Cork need a creative No.11, Kelly being the obvious choice. Walsh would certainly be more effective than Canty right now at 6. There is such a huge hole in that defense they the middle it’s criminal. Of course, Michael Shields should really be the centre back, but clearly that’s not a runner. No way would teams run thru Cork there if he was No.6.

Pretty amazing it’s never really been tried.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 808210, member: 273”]

Pretty amazing it’s never really been tried.[/quote]

Shields spent a good bit of a season at centre back a few years ago when Canty was playing midfield I thought?

[quote=“Juhniallio, post: 807708, member: 53”]Reminds me of the time croppy supposedly broke someone’s leg with his head.
[/quote]
I remember that. I think Croppy broke 6 legs in his Association Football career

Funniest was when Croppy was passionate about Celtic FC and they were playing Rangers at 12.30. Croppy’s own game had a 12.00 kick off so disastrous timing for the lad.

Anyway at 12.25 I got a text from Croppy asking me to get him a pint as he’d be in situ for kick off of the Celtic game.

Croppy had broken 2 lads legs in the first 15 minutes and the game was abandoned. He swears to this day that he didn’t even get a yellow for either break

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 807710, member: 273”]He might be right about Donegal being targeted, but they are the fucking champions, what do they expect? I like Jimmy and I love that he has brought football into the 21st century, but he’s looking naive here. Just go about counter acting it. The way I would see it is I’d love my team to be targeted, it shows the opposition can’t figure out a tactical way to beat us.
[/quote]
I don’t know if he’s being naive Kev. Just because he’s saying stuff to the media doesn’t mean he necessarily agrees with it. No harm in putting pressure on officials, even if you don’t feel wronged.

Golloggolloggolly would have been better off doing a bit of nipple tweaking or balls grabbing, McGuinness doesn’t appear to find fault with that it seems.

Naive thinking Mayo or anyone else will fall for it. And to be honest everyone has seen this before, including the referees, so if anything I have a feeling it would backfire. Probably will make no difference though.

Mac - I can’t recall Shields playing too much out there, but on memory you could be right now that I think about. The feeling at the times was, I think, he is irreplaceable at full back and too much of a loss there.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 808343, member: 273”]

Mac - I can’t recall Shields playing too much out there, but on memory you could be right now that I think about. The feeling at the times was, I think, he is irreplaceable at full back and too much of a loss there.[/quote]

It was either before Spillanes emergence or after he was dropped. Only lasted a few games though as whoever went into full back was no good - Cadogan maybe.

Definitely not Cadogan, Jamie Sullivan was actually full back a few times. In fairness they have put guys in there like Eoin O Mahoney, but they seem afraid to let him out the pitch. To be honest though inside forwards bar a few notable exceptions are mostly just ball winners and free takers these days. Shields is not an out in front player anyway, he lets the forward get the ball alot. He trusts his tackling and shadowing skills, buta quick transfer of the ball a la Galway and Kerry means his skills defensively are pretty redundant. Cadogan would probably be as effective as you need to be in there now, or indeed Canty on big men. Shields is inspirational, an to be honest Karl Lacy wouldn’t lace his boots as a centre back if we got to see enough if it as he has everything, stay at home, tackle, be a block, kick pass, attack both on and off the ball at speed and score.

Cork attacked alot the last day but finishing was poor, but generally the management are conservative. Thing is, we don’t have conservative players. I think Shield to 6 would be the catalyst to a real edgy Cork. Might have to wait till next season though.

If I was Counihan I’d put Noel O’Leary on Diarmuid Connolly.

For fireworks is it?!

Wouldnt be surprised to see Noel being asked to do man marking job on Kilkenny the next day…

[quote=“dancarter, post: 808506, member: 122”]For fireworks is it?!

Wouldnt be surprised to see Noel being asked to do man marking job on Kilkenny the next day…[/quote]

Possibly, but why not Seanie Armstrong on Saturday? It really points to them under estimating Galway.

definitely underestimated them, but I think Cork were just really really poor and it made GY look better than they are. Didnt need to man mark him IMO, just to have some coherent form of a game plan. TSG showed few examples last night of Cork having 10 behind ball and GY still coasting through us…

Iutterly depressing watching that from a Cork perspective.

[quote=“dancarter, post: 808544, member: 122”]definitely underestimated them, but I think Cork were just really really poor and it made GY look better than they are. Didnt need to man mark him IMO, just to have some coherent form of a game plan. TSG showed few examples last night of Cork having 10 behind ball and GY still coasting through us…

Iutterly depressing watching that from a Cork perspective.[/quote]

Disinterest sometimes shows disbelief in a game plan on occasion. I get that feeling.

Now the players should be driving on regardless and not accepting things’ may not be 100% with the way things are going. Aidan Walsh epitomizes this. He seems so down this year for whatever reason, looks like he is not enjoying it.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 808555, member: 273”]Disinterest sometimes shows disbelief in a game plan on occasion. I get that feeling.

Now the players should be driving on regardless and not accepting things’ may not be 100% with the way things are going. Aidan Walsh epitomizes this. He seems so down this year for whatever reason, looks like he is not enjoying it.[/quote]

Fine line between it looking like disinterest and just trying too hard as well…I wouldnt rule out a performance at the weekend, just not with the 15 that started and not with the approach they adopted. Kelly in, Walsh to half back line instead of Canty with NOL detailed for Kilkenny…if you can stop him you might at least force Dubs to plan B (which is still a pretty good fucking plan!).

I predict we stick with them for 45 mins and they empty the bench and pull away to win handy enough by 7-8 points.

Your ideas are spot on, not going to happen though. I predict the opposite, kinda, Dublin blow us away for 20-25 and go 8 up but Cork get it all the way back level when they position their correctly and fix mistakes. Dubs get 2nd wind and win by 3-4.

Interesting viewpoint from Tony McEntee in The Examiner today:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/tony-mcentee/football-is-not-a-math-problem-to-be-solved-238234.html#.Ufa_3kw90nM.twitter